05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

styling bar installed today - some questions

Search this Thread

Old 5/27/20, 06:15 PM
V6 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
styling bar installed today - some questions

so ive read about the past templates being off, the ones included with my bar said "revised" so i assumed they were corrected. never assume...
anyhow , everything went as it should until i slipped the bar on for final install. ive gotten it to sit as far down as i could , but the base of the bars still wont land flush with the quarter liner. any suggestions on either how to fix or modify so it looks good? i sat on the thing and bounced to make sure it was seated as far as possible. its like the metal bar needs to be bent back 1/4" or so

Old 8/1/20, 11:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry I've been away for a while and just came across this thread. If you haven't figured it out yet I'll chime in. I have a 06 GT vert and I installed a styling bar too. The problem I see with yours is that when they finished the vinyl on the bottom they didn't do a good job. It should be flat so it can sit flush. You may have to take it to an upholstery shop and let them re-do it so it'll sit flush.

The following users liked this post:
domer94 (8/4/20)
Old 8/4/20, 05:18 PM
V6 Member

thanks... im debating whether or not to complain to the company to see if they will send me a correct one. if not , yes i can go to the local trimmer and see what he can do...
Old 8/4/20, 10:34 PM
Bullitt Member

domer94, who did you get yours from? I purchased mine from ABC Exclusive Auto Parts in Garland TX for $229.95
Old 8/5/20, 05:50 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Read this Thread from another Mustang Forum. He had the same problem https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ar-issues.html
Old 8/5/20, 09:04 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Gigantor
domer94, who did you get yours from? I purchased mine from ABC Exclusive Auto Parts in Garland TX for $229.95
got it from american muscle. i emailed them yesterday about an exchange, but got the answer i expected which is that it is beyond the return. i told them this isnt my daily and unfortunately just got around to addressing this issue.
Old 8/6/20, 09:35 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,780 Posts
Not being your daily driver is not a legitimate reason, nor is it American Muscle's fault that you didn't get around to addressing the issue until after the return policy had already expired. Needless to say, you should had been fully aware of American Muscle's return policy when you purchased the styling bar from them, to begin with. Therefore, they have every right to decline accepting a return authorization or exchange. At any rate, it appears your only other option, is to take your styling bar to a local upholstery shop and have them trim it down, so that it will then sit flush.
Old 7/6/21, 07:50 PM
V6 Member

if it's the MMD bar like i purchased you will have nothing but issues with American Muscle and MMD and there is no warranty at all, i am going through the same issues with American Muscle and MMD myself, my bar is coming apart and the cover is separating from the bar itself. And as for the gapping issue i was told to buy a anti-fatigue mat and cut it into small wedges to make it look like it fits proper may need to be glued into place
Old 7/6/21, 08:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 14Mustang_Driver
if it's the MMD bar like i purchased you will have nothing but issues with American Muscle and MMD and there is no warranty at all, i am going through the same issues with American Muscle and MMD myself, my bar is coming apart and the cover is separating from the bar itself. And as for the gapping issue i was told to buy a anti-fatigue mat and cut it into small wedges to make it look like it fits proper may need to be glued into place
That's crazy!! Just by looking at the bottom of the bar where it mounts to the trim of the car they should have noticed that it wouldn't fit flush. They must have crappy quality control at MMD. I'm not really happy with American Muscle lately, it seems that their customer service has fallen off a bit. They were mostly a Mustang aftermarket parts company but now that they sell to other brands and don't even hang around this forum makes me wonder what happened to them. We here don't even get the forum discount anymore.
Old 7/7/21, 12:19 AM
V6 Member

this is how mine was after finished install, it kind of looked like it needed to have a chain attached to each side and to a wall and drive the car forward to take up the slack, but when reading other forums people just bought a black anti fatigue mat and made a wedge by stacking them together and cutting and shaping them to fit ...i guess aftermarket mods are not finished till we put our own stamp on them

needs a wedge on the back side and looks like it leans forward

needs a wedge on the back side and looks like it leans forward
Old 8/3/21, 01:59 PM
V6 Member

wow yes, it does look like its oriented forward. i wonder if you could have it taken to a shop that can heat the metal structure bar enough to bend it back a little. i thought of that myself , but then figured that much heat might start damaging the soft stuff.
does anybody have pics of the anti-fatigue mat fix?
Old 8/4/21, 09:33 AM
GT Member

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I wanted a style bar so bad till I came across threads like this.
Old 8/4/21, 09:55 AM
V6 Member

yeah , there was a post earlier about how i was completely wrong to bring this up with AM and MMD etc etc ... however, after case after case of shoddy workmanship , these MMD folks should be bending over backwards to make it right. these arent cheap pieces. there is no excuse to be sending these out with issues like this.