05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

SS ducktail pics

Search this Thread

Old 7/22/05, 04:58 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by AL1356@July 22, 2005, 1:50 PM
Does SS offer painted option? Or can you give details of painting and installation too?
BTW it looks great!
Thanks!! I got the spoiler through a company when I searched on the net. I am NOT sure if SS offers painted spoiler. When I read the instructions it clearly stated that SS will not accept any products that have been painted or installed.

It's best if you don't have it painted before delivery that way you can see for yourself if you like the way it looks on your ride. Pics can be decieving at times. Secondly, you MUST pre-fit the spoiler to the car before it is painted. This assures that it will fit the lines of car before you go any further and you will be allowed to either exchange it or get your refund if you are not happy.

Details on install are pretty simple. What I did before paint:

- set the kit in the sun for an hour
- (following is easier with 2 people)With one person holding the mid-section (trunk spoiler) in place, the second person can outline the edge of the spoiler with body trim tape after he/she is satisfied with the pre-fitment. This ensures the kit will be put exactly into place for final install(guideline if you will).
- if you readily have china marker(wax pen) then draw the outline of tape with the marker so you can remove the tape until you get the spoiler back from painting. (This way you don't have to drive around with tape stuck on your ride and people asking repeatedly, "What's with the tape?" <--- Trust me. It gets old..) Also, car wash soap won't take the marker off. And you can touch up the line every so often if it wipes off.

After you get the spoiler back from the painter:
- Wipe off ALL over spray from the area that the DOUBLE SIDED tape* will reside(use either 1000 grit sandpaper or rough dish sponge) with dish soap. This will ensure not only is the paint removed, but any oily substances as well
- set spoiler in sun for hour
- while kit is in the sun go back to your car and re-apply body trim tape to the marker line
- wash back of car where spoiler will adhere to the body
- use a degreaser agent on all the areas that the spoiler will be touching. Do this as many times as you feel necessary. Be sure to remove the china marker line as well.
*THIS STEP IS VERY VERY IMPORTANT*
- after an hour, bring the kit indoors and apply adhesion promoter* to the kit where the double sided tape* will be applied
- also apply adhesion promoter* to the body of the car where spoiler will be permanently mounted
- do ONE spoiler piece at a time. Do not rush because once the double sided tape is applied it is very difficult to remove. <-- Been there.. Done that..
- after you applied double sided tape to the spoiler piece, lift a corner of the protective tape cover(car side) so you have something to grab when you are ready to pull it off.
- start by installing a small corner of the spoiler kit to the car. Line it up to the body trim tape you applied above as a guideline.
- if you feel the kit is ready to be fully applied and everything is fully lined up then slowly pull protective piece WHILE putting pressure on the spoiler to help it stick to the body.

DO NOT wash car for 2 days at least. Give the tape some time to stick to the car. Apply pressure to the spoiler daily just for assurance. And that's all I did..

So far, I still haven't had any problems. I hope this helps somewhat. If you have any more ?'s then ask away.

*Supplied with the spoiler kit