05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Smoked and Stealth Corners...Tons o Pics...

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/08, 09:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad it helped bud.....Looks much better!!

Grats......

Mike
Old 6/7/08, 12:51 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GOT OATZ - I have a question, I have received my clear lenses from Moss and finally the stealth bulbs, which were back ordered. The stealth bulbs I received were just the smaller of the 2 bulbs on each side. Do both of the bulbs have to be replaced on each side with stealth bulbs to make this legal (amber turn signals) or is replacing the smaller bulb all that is required.
Old 6/7/08, 04:18 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Aircare, the black signals look great on your car - much better than the orange.
Old 6/7/08, 06:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ronslakie
GOT OATZ - I have a question, I have received my clear lenses from Moss and finally the stealth bulbs, which were back ordered. The stealth bulbs I received were just the smaller of the 2 bulbs on each side. Do both of the bulbs have to be replaced on each side with stealth bulbs to make this legal (amber turn signals) or is replacing the smaller bulb all that is required.
Technically turn signals and sidemarker lights should glow amber. There are some cars that have white bulbs as running lamps on the corners next to the headlamps. Many Asian cars have these. That originates from the stricter lighting requirements in other countries. Most of those countries (Europe, Asia, Australia) require a white running lamp with seperate amber turn signal. You will notice that in those countries you do not see amber sidemarker reflectors. Those countries also require rear amber turn signals and repeater lamps behind the front wheels visible from the sides.

With vehicles that are DOT certified for the USA, you will always see from the factory a seperate amber sidemarker and amber turn signal lamp... Either with amber lenses or clear lenses with amber bulbs. You will also always see an amber reflector visible from the sides. The functional purpose of amber front and red rear sidemarker colors is to determine which direction a vehicle is traveling or sitting parked at night...

The Mustang is set up for the small outer bulbs to be sidemarkers and the large inner ones to be turn signal lamps. If you want it strictly legal they should all glow amber. However with the proximity of the turn signal section so close to the sidemarker arear you might get away with the amber bulbs for turn signals only and clear bulbs in the sidemarker area if you want the appearance of white running lamps.

Remember on Ford cars the sidemarker bulbs don't flash during a turn signal. Some makes of cars do flash the sidemarkers during a turn signal. GM is the most common for that feature. Side marker bulbs are not designed to be a primary flashing bulb for the front of a car as they are usually only 5 watts vs. the much brighter 20+ watts for turn signal bulbs.

You can be creative and try bulb combinations the way you like. However it is usually up to the State Inspector's interpetation of law to determine what passes or what is not compliant. It also depends on the mood of any officer enforcing such lighting regulations.

For DOT compliance, we should all have amber side marker reflectors in our bumper lenses. Where I live no one will care and I will probably be harrassed for it.

At one time I had a set of export market headlamp units in my former Ford Escape that had clear sidemarker lenses with no amber reflectors and I never got flack about it. I did however install amber sidemarker bulbs.

Last edited by watchdevil; 6/7/08 at 06:12 PM.
Old 6/10/08, 10:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I finally got my car back and I just installed my black corner lamps. Here are the pics!

Old 6/11/08, 08:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

That sure looks better than them amber things, good choice. My smoked should be in today. Can't wait to get them on.
Old 6/11/08, 10:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

With the black lamps I got you don't really need steath bulbs unless you want them. Changing out to amber bulbs work just fine. I did however get the Sylvania Silverstar bluish mirror coated amber turn signal bulbs. The sidemarkers are regular amber 194A. I did leave them with the regular clear bulbs for a while but changed them.
Old 6/12/08, 06:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Installed smoked corners and a Classic chin spoiler today. Now I'm waiting for the smoked rear corners to come in.
Attached Thumbnails Smoked and Stealth Corners...Tons o Pics...-p1000040.jpg   Smoked and Stealth Corners...Tons o Pics...-p1000041.jpg  

Last edited by ARBO; 6/12/08 at 06:53 PM.
Old 6/13/08, 04:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by ARBO
Installed smoked corners and a Classic chin spoiler today. Now I'm waiting for the smoked rear corners to come in.
Looks great!
Old 6/15/08, 11:41 AM
Cobra Member

Does anyone know if the rear side markers are being sold in the Smoked Version?
Old 6/15/08, 02:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

06GT4RAD, Yes stangmods.com (Matt) can hook you up. They sell a clear lense, smoke tint for them and red LED bulbs too. Mine are on the way now.
Old 6/15/08, 02:54 PM
GTR Member

I ordered the rear red led's at the same time as the side markers from stangmods and there was a note saying that the led's would ship separately. Tomorrow will be a week and still no Led's. If they were on back order ,i wish they would just say so. Not sure what the deal is though.
Old 6/15/08, 04:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice VERY nice.. my clear corners should be here next week
Old 6/15/08, 08:16 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ARBO
06GT4RAD, Yes stangmods.com (Matt) can hook you up. They sell a clear lense, smoke tint for them and red LED bulbs too. Mine are on the way now.
Thanks but i do not want a tint on them I want a smoked lens like the fronts.
Old 6/15/08, 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT4RAD
Thanks but i do not want a tint on them I want a smoked lens like the fronts.
Rich,
Let me know if you happen upon them......

Mike
Old 6/15/08, 10:09 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Got Oatz
Rich,
Let me know if you happen upon them......

Mike
Old 6/16/08, 08:16 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks to this thread i ordered the Smoked Lens for the front and the bulbs.

I think at this point though I am going to leave the rear markers red as is as they actually blend in very well with the Redfire. The fronts however stick out like a sore thumb
Old 6/16/08, 08:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks to this thread i ordered the Smoked Lens for the front and the bulbs.

I think at this point though I am going to leave the rear markers red as is as they actually blend in very well with the Redfire. The fronts however stick out like a sore thumb
Good choices! I left my rear markers red as well because they go with the taillamps and they just look more natural that way. I think the black lenses work up front because they compliment the headlamps and other constrasting back feautures. They also have a brake airduct look when they are not lit.
Old 6/16/08, 10:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by watchdevil
Good choices! I left my rear markers red as well because they go with the taillamps and they just look more natural that way. I think the black lenses work up front because they compliment the headlamps and other constrasting back feautures. They also have a brake airduct look when they are not lit.
Exactly what i thought when looking at the car while making my decisions to buy the smoked fronts.
Old 6/17/08, 07:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Exactly what i thought when looking at the car while making my decisions to buy the smoked fronts.
Rich,
Your car will look awesome with the smoked front, and I do agree with you. The stock rear reflectors will work best....
I am still in a quandry on my Mineral Grey however. I have clears on now, and they are better than the red, but still stick out too much. I like the one above with the tint on the MG rears, but still, a bit dark. I am thinking about giving the Stangmods smoked overlay a try.....

Mike

Quick Reply: Smoked and Stealth Corners...Tons o Pics...