05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

SilverHorse Racing taillight bezels

Search this Thread

Old 5/24/06, 08:23 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I have a prototype I am happy with, we will post pictures.

It isn't the same as mold work, where at the prototype stage we are way ahead of copycats. With billet stuff, anyone with a CNC and time on their hands can knock-off a lot of our work with just a CAD picture, so it pays to wait until we are basically approved and in production before showing them off. It was the same with the fuel doors, I didn't want anyone to see our machined pieces until they were ready for shipment, because then it is too late to do anything except come to market as a copy of our piece.

BTW, I have 3 designs of rear emblems coming out, it should make for some interesting combinations.
Old 5/24/06, 10:22 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh yes... with the GT written, without it, and a pony I'm sure!

Whenever I'm ready to do the paint job in my car, I'll be buying the black ones (both the rear cap and the fuel one).

Fantastic work coming out of Siver Horse Racing!
Old 5/26/06, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
Hmm, the dreaded bezels... these things are going to be the death of me I'm sure.

We HAD a new approach to manufacturing the parts that would have worked out well, but up front costs seem to be making it a difficult road to travel. Now along comes the shop that does our molds for our plastic parts and says they know of a shop that has done work for the Vatican in Rome, and can do exactly what we want.

I'm almost scared to talk to them about costs, but it might not be too much different from where our last quote came in. If there weren't the plastic ones available at 60.00 or so this would be a much easier decision as to process and cost, but since we are trying to keep the manufacturing costs in line to make the product retail palatable to everyone, it's taking a lot of "creativity" on our part to make it happen.

Update on the rear emblem - I *hopefully* will have a prototype in hand Friday.
Prototype in hand???? Pictures???
Old 5/26/06, 07:15 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Oh yeah - It's Friday, eh?

We got bumped to next Wednesday, due to the holiday weekend, and I have prior engagements Tuesday morning, so I can't do it then either.

I'll only post pictures if I'm happy with it - otherwise another round of tweaks before it comes out, but I think we are close on it.

Like I've said before, I'd love to post the drawings and stuff, but since a couple copycat companies noticed we exist, it's kind of hard to be as "open" on the Internet as we used to be until we actually have the product ready to go.

But we're in the weeks, not months stage now, so it won't be long.
Old 5/27/06, 03:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

I guess I should start saving my pennies now. I can't wait to see it.
Old 5/31/06, 07:39 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Ok - it's Wednesday.

I was down at the shop today and looked at the prototypes on a spare trunk along with a honeycomb panel surrounding it.

All I can say is.... SWEET. I am very impressed by what I saw, and it is definitely going to step up the appearance of the back end of the car, making it much classier than it is now.

You guys I think are really going to like this piece. It really looks nice on the car just as it sat, and we aren't done with it yet. There were a few small changes I requested, along with a couple of accomodations we had to make due to fixturing the part for machining, but for the most part, it is looking really good. I have to go back there again next week, and see how the modifications to the part went, as well as see it hopefully "as finished" instead of just "in process" (no sense in putting the appearance screws, anodizing, etc.. on it yet).

On the front of removing the honeycomb panels for existing customers.... we may have a workaround that will allow us to not have to remove it prior to installation of this piece. We will have to do some testing to see what can and cannot be done for our existing customers, as they should not have to take a hit because our parts made it to market out of sequence. Time will tell on this...

And on the subject of time... IF everything keeps rolling along like it is right now, I'm thinking we may have the first batch at the plate and anodize shop by the last week of June, maybe a few days prior - depending on how things shake out. So start putting aside the change into the cupholders - they are coming soon.

Speaking of the spare change - we are targeting the price of our 94-04 fuel doors as the price for these, although we may have to end up closer to our 05-06 fuel door pricing due to material and machining time costs. I don't have exact answers on a bunch of it yet, everything is still "ballpark" figuring until we actually make the first finished parts.

Any questions, ask away.
Old 5/31/06, 07:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sounds good, any photos of the prototype for us?
Old 6/1/06, 04:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

On the front of removing the honeycomb panels for existing customers.... we may have a workaround that will allow us to not have to remove it prior to installation of this piece. We will have to do some testing to see what can and cannot be done for our existing customers, as they should not have to take a hit because our parts made it to market out of sequence. Time will tell on this...

Any questions, ask away.
Sure the product will be great since your quality and customer service is the best. Glad to hear those already with the honeycomb panel installed may be able to use the bezels without removing it (panel). Personally speaking, sure rather not go there.

Without giving away any secrets, will the black finsihed bezels match the existing panel?
Old 6/1/06, 07:01 AM
Legacy Tms Member

No pictures of the prototype to share right now, there will be hopefully in a couple weeks - this is more to do with the patent paperwork than anything else.... Trust me, I WANT to show it off, it is very difficult for me to keep quiet about this kind of stuff. I'm more a car guy than a business suit, so I want to show off my newest toys just like the rest of you.

As to the black finish, it is an aluminum piece and is anodized black, not painted. It will be close to the panel, but the panel is molded black, and the emblem piece will have a small amount of transparency to the color that the panel does not. If you have seen our black fuel doors, it is going to be very close to that - honestly, seeing the prototype piece on the car, I am now at a loss as to which one I like. The prototype is just machined, but I can see how a black, satin, polished, or chrome could all look "right" depending upon modifications and car color.

Oh and if we do end up where the panel has to come off to install this, it won't be that bad - I've done it a bunch of times, it's just time consuming more than anything else. With the proper stuff, it comes off and goes back on without any real issues. It would just cost a bit to make the kit to do it for all the customers we already have out there that will probably want this as well.

I hate choices - too much inventory to keep track of... Maybe we'll just make one style, in one finish....just kidding!!
Old 6/7/06, 07:50 AM
V6 Member

keep us posted. I am dying to get a set.
Old 6/7/06, 08:15 AM
Cobra Member

Yeah, what's up with this one? I'd like to get a sneak peek...
Old 6/7/06, 04:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Question

You mention having to take off the existing panel to install these. I was wondering does this mean you will need the honeycomb panel to make the taillight bezels look correct with the design you have chosen for them? What I mean is do you have to have the honeycomb panel to make the taillight bezels a) fit on the car and or b) just needed to make the taillight bezels look correct or c) taillight bezels will look and fit fine without the honeycomb panel. Thanks for you help.
Old 6/7/06, 05:46 PM
GT Member

I am chomping at the bit. I have been holding out for these bezels for sooooo long it's starting to make me shake. Put me down for a black set for my Redfire 05 GT, please.
Old 6/7/06, 06:28 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by sscobra
You mention having to take off the existing panel to install these. I was wondering does this mean you will need the honeycomb panel to make the taillight bezels look correct with the design you have chosen for them? What I mean is do you have to have the honeycomb panel to make the taillight bezels a) fit on the car and or b) just needed to make the taillight bezels look correct or c) taillight bezels will look and fit fine without the honeycomb panel. Thanks for you help.
No, no... what' I'm referring to is the center rear emblem - if you put it on, you MAY have to remove the honeycomb panel as a step in the process - we haven't figured it out 100% one way or the other yet... and if it has to come off, it is just to allow access to remove the factory emblem, then you can put it all back on.

The taillight bezels will work with the honeycomb panel, no removal needed.
Old 6/7/06, 11:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

There's some confusion since talk of the rear emblem is mixed into this thread which was originally about the taillight bezels...
Old 6/8/06, 03:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

No, no... what' I'm referring to is the center rear emblem - if you put it on, you MAY have to remove the honeycomb panel as a step in the process - we haven't figured it out 100% one way or the other yet... and if it has to come off, it is just to allow access to remove the factory emblem, then you can put it all back on.

The taillight bezels will work with the honeycomb panel, no removal needed.
Well, will they work without the honeycomb panel?
Old 6/8/06, 03:31 PM
Cobra Member

Of course they will, it's a taillight bezel, you can buy that as an accessory without the need of anything else.
Old 6/8/06, 07:08 PM
Legacy Tms Member

^
|
|

What he said
Old 6/9/06, 08:04 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Center Emblems have been APPROVED for production - first 350 start getting machined on Monday.

Delivery approx. 1 month from now. (Machine time approx 1.5-2 weeks, anodize / plate another week or so, back for final assembly, checkout, etc...)

Patent paperwork goes in on Monday - as soon as the pending status is achieved, I will GLADLY (very gladly I might add, these came out great) post pictures.

Pricing is still TBA, but will be close to or equal to the fuel doors.

Finish varies by style.

I already have one on our car - installation took about 5 minutes, and the honeycomb panel did NOT have to be removed to get the medallion off, although I did scratch the OEM part getting it off - but knowing how to do it now, I'd say it could be done without any damage to the OEM piece. (I always get to scratch up our stuff testing for everyone...)

Maybe it's time to break this out into its own thread. It used to be in one Brad started about the Shelby piece, but I have not had any luck finding it...
Old 6/9/06, 08:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well how about some pictures

Quick Reply: SilverHorse Racing taillight bezels