05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Rocker stripes, trimmed or wrapped?

Search this Thread

Old 4/18/05, 05:55 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been looking at so many photos here and elsewhere but can't seem to determine if the GT300 type rocker stripes are trimmed short of the edges of the door and quarter panels or if they are wrapped around.

Does anyone have a thought on this? I've only seen one other '05 GT in my area and it didn't have any stripes. Everyone must be keeping theirs under wraps or SE PA was way on the lower end of Ford's allocation table.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 4/18/05, 06:44 AM
Banned

I say trim, keep them from pealing later on.

Here is a pic of mine. Hope this helps.
Old 4/18/05, 06:51 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vinyl is placed onto the car. Then an xacto blade is run down the gaps of the doors. Prior to the installation everything should be very clean. If everything is spotless I wrap the vinyl slightly around the edges as this will prevent them from peeling, however, if it is an older car and not very well maintained as far as wheel wells and doors go, I do not wrap the vinyl as there is a chance it will peel.

You just have to remember, the more edges you can see, the easier it will be for you to damage the vinyl while washing the car.
Old 4/18/05, 09:59 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by PonyGirl@April 18, 2005, 7:47 AM
I say trim, keep them from pealing later on.

Here is a pic of mine. Hope this helps.
Excellent picture, wonder why I missed it before. I specifically looked for some of yours but I guess the old eyes aren't what they used to be. It shows exactly what I was trying to determine.

Now, how do you avoid maybe catching inadvertently with a rag, brush, sponge or whatever you use to wash the car? Did they come from Graphics-Express by any chance?

Thanks,
Ron
Old 4/18/05, 10:05 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@April 18, 2005, 7:54 AM
Vinyl is placed onto the car. Then an xacto blade is run down the gaps of the doors. Prior to the installation everything should be very clean. If everything is spotless I wrap the vinyl slightly around the edges as this will prevent them from peeling, however, if it is an older car and not very well maintained as far as wheel wells and doors go, I do not wrap the vinyl as there is a chance it will peel.

You just have to remember, the more edges you can see, the easier it will be for you to damage the vinyl while washing the car.
That's basically what I did with my '67 2+2 about a hundred years ago. The tape and adhesive technology wasn't what it is now but they stayed on and tight until the day I sold that car in '90.

Well, taking both recommendations into account, I guess I will start out and wrap them since the car is new and clean and it will still allow the ability to trim them later if the situation arises.

I really appreciate the responses from you both, that helps a lot.
Thanks,
Ron
Old 4/18/05, 10:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mine rocker panel stripes are wrapped on all the doors and front and back on the paint inside the fender wells. I think it looks good that way.
Old 4/18/05, 06:32 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by azlitigator@April 18, 2005, 11:15 AM
Mine rocker panel stripes are wrapped on all the doors and front and back on the paint inside the fender wells. I think it looks good that way.
OK, Janet, when are you going to do some mods to that car??

Is your stripe the Ford installed Mustang stripe or an after market tri-stripe. I guess what I'm wondering is whether you did the install, a tape shop or Ford.

I've finally decided that I will wrap the stripe and leave myself the option of trimming later.

Thanks,
Ron