05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Rear Honeycomb Panel

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/05 | 06:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by SilverHorseRacing@June 15, 2005, 8:01 PM
The tapered center ring or the part in general? We're always open to ideas to improve our products, if you have a direction to go in.

Its going to look great. Dont worry about the above comment. You guys are on the right track. keep up the good work. I just hope you guys make the price right. I dont know what you have invested but I think $55-60 would be a fair price.

I look forward to seeing the final product.
Old 6/15/05 | 06:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by TheLegend+June 15, 2005, 4:14 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheLegend @ June 15, 2005, 4:14 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Its going to look great. Dont worry about the above comment. You guys are on the right track. keep up the good work. I just hope you guys make the price right. I dont know what you have invested but I think $55-60 would be a fair price.
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-SilverHorseRacing
@May 26, 2005, 9:35 PM
...still in talks with all the suppliers (packaging, plastics, adhesives,etc) for finalizing pricing information, but I think we can do 89.00+tax/shipping for pre-orders, with 50% down, balance due on shipment. Projected regular retail is going to be 119.00 so long as material costs stay in check...[/quote]
Old 6/15/05 | 07:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by SilverHorseRacing@June 14, 2005, 11:04 PM
Ok, ok, don't twist my arm! Well, originally we were doing a "stepped" ring, similar to the original 71-73 piece, but then decided that with all the angular interpretations on the car (emblem vs. original gas cap, etc) that we would do the same. Here's a close-up screen shot of the center, although the length of the angle has been increased a little bit from this shot to where we are at right now. The idea here being that it will form a "V" with the trunk emblem.

We are currently on schedule to have a physical product in our hands by the end of the month, which we will be able to take real pictures of for everyone to see.
I'm digging it! Will these be painted or come in a natural matte black plastic finish like the grille?

Old 6/16/05 | 05:45 PM
Bullitt Member

im very interested,I would like to wait till a pre-prod part is installed so I can see pics.
Old 6/16/05 | 08:55 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally posted by ZRX4ME@June 16, 2005, 5:48 PM
im very interested,I would like to wait till a pre-prod part is installed so I can see pics.
Thanks everyone. As to the update:

1) Pre-production pics should be about 2 weeks out, so long as final CAD inspections are to my liking. Bellsouth's servers have been down, so I've only seen faxes of the latest changes. Prototype is going to be over $2,000.00(manufacture only, design is more that's already been spent...), and will be almost identical to the real deal (prototype will have .006" steps that the final unit will not, just part of the prototyping process) Also, the prototype will be 2 pieces UV welded, since machines capable of prototyping a 31.5" wide part are out of our price range. (final production units will be one-piece) I promise that we will post LOTS of pictures once we have them, hopefully everyone will pre-order then too! (Thanks to everyone who already has!) It's just slow at this point because I'm nit-picking the details, which is making our mold maker a small fortune at my expense (he charges I think by the minute!) :bang:

2) Finish will be almost identical to lower grill portion on front of car. That is a polished honeycomb with a matte background.

3) Finish will be as injected, IE black UV-resistant ABS like the grill. There will be no need for painting (just like the original) unless someone wants to paint it a different color than the black it will be molded in.

4) I'd love to bring the price in-line with the competition's smoked-lexan piece (49-59.00), but production costs are not going to allow that, at least with our projected part runs. If this turns out to be a major hit, and we can make bigger runs (ie over 2,000 units at a time), we may be able to bring the cost down a small amount, using economies of scale to our favor. Otherwise, short runs (under 1k units) on a 300-ton min. press costs $$, since they view it as more of a aggravation to set up the machine for that kind of run and are "doing us a favor" to run it... That and the cost of the mold has to be ammortized over the expected run of parts, and that is a lot of cost, let me tell you! Add that not a lot of shops can handle the size we're talking about (32" part requires a 40" milling machine capable of 5 axis, or extra time on 3 axis), weight over 1 ton of tool steel and molding aluminum, etc... you get the idea.

Finally, part of the reason we're being so open here is that I'm an enthusiast like everyone else here, and I find the whole process of taking a part from concept to completion amazing, and intimidating at the same time. I figured some of the people reading this would be interested in that process, the multitude of people involved in making it happen, expected costs, etc...
Old 6/16/05 | 10:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

I am def interested in this. is there a list already to order this?
Old 6/17/05 | 06:07 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally posted by yur1279@June 16, 2005, 10:55 PM
I am def interested in this. is there a list already to order this?
Yes, of course. We're running pre-purchase fixed price auctions on Ebay throughout June. One of the current auctions is below for you. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...=ADME:B:LC:MT:1
Old 6/17/05 | 10:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks, I gotta check that out. My only concern is that I plan on putting on a CDC Ducktail in the near future too, will that have any conflict with the fit of the honeycomb?
Old 6/18/05 | 12:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

anyone?
Old 6/18/05 | 03:51 PM
Cobra Member

Hey Marcello, I like the conceptual art I've seen of this piece, but I may wait until I see the actual piece on a Legend Lime Mustang before I decide to purchase one.

The only possible change I would like to see is less of a border all around and around the trunk badge. In my opinion, it would be better for the honeycomb to look as if it goes underneath the badge and right up to the edge of the tail lights. It would seem better integrated into the decklid and less like a tack-on piece that way. Just a thought.

Otherwise, I want to thank you for putting so much time and research into producing this piece. It's nice to see you're interested in hearing what Mustang fans have to say about it. It's also good business practice!
Old 6/23/05 | 06:47 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally posted by CelticCub@June 18, 2005, 3:54 PM
Hey Marcello, I like the conceptual art I've seen of this piece, but I may wait until I see the actual piece on a Legend Lime Mustang before I decide to purchase one.

The only possible change I would like to see is less of a border all around and around the trunk badge. In my opinion, it would be better for the honeycomb to look as if it goes underneath the badge and right up to the edge of the tail lights. It would seem better integrated into the decklid and less like a tack-on piece that way. Just a thought.

Otherwise, I want to thank you for putting so much time and research into producing this piece. It's nice to see you're interested in hearing what Mustang fans have to say about it. It's also good business practice!
Thanks!

As to seeing the prototype on different color cars, we only own a white GT, so I will need some photoshop help in a couple weeks once we have the prototype in hand to "color" our white car different shades. We're behind one week as I'm away on business this week and the prototypers will not start the SLA until we pay them in advance. They won't take online payments, so I have to physically hand-deliver the funds Monday when I'm back in town. It's not that this trip was unexpected, but the timing of when the prototype CAD models were ready to go to the prototypers was. Wish we were a bigger business, and could just issue a P.O., but alas, the life of a startup!

I will try and post in a day or two the completed solid model for everyone to see. The edges are smaller than the photoshop look, actually they are only .500" wide. The center ring is a little larger, but is balanced, and since it is on an angle, it appears smaller than it is.

Finally, I don't know if it was answered, but the CDC spoiler should work with our product. I haven't seen one closeup, but if I could get an image of the bottom of the ducktail on a car, I could say with certainty for anyone who is interested. Still though, the way ur product will mount should not cause an issue.

Thanks again!
Old 6/23/05 | 07:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

I know your ebay auction is ending in a few hours, is it possible to relist the item again.
Old 6/23/05 | 08:46 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally posted by yur1279@June 23, 2005, 7:38 PM
I know your ebay auction is ending in a few hours, is it possible to relist the item again.
I think currently there is one more auction set to start for them. Ebay ran a special at the beginning of the month, so I set them up to run through June. IF you miss the next one, I won't be re-listing for a few days.

We will continue to take pre-orders as promised at 89.00 until production begins, at which point, price will be going up to normal retail.

No need to miss out, just click on "buy it now" !!

As an added bonus, as long as supplies last, our pre-order customers are getting free SilverHorse Racing T-shirts with their orders. Those that have pre-ordered already know this, but I didin't list it in the auctions.
Old 7/5/05 | 09:14 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Ok, Update for everyone who hasn't ordered but is following this thread:
(That means you're not on the email list yet!!! What are you waiting for? )

Anyway, received a few calls already this week, seems everything is on track, and on schedule.

We have a meeting with the mold producer, injection shop, designer, etc. on 7-11-05. The prototype is to be complete 7-8, and we will test fit it and check it out at this meeting. For better or worse, we own the prototype, so after the meeting, as long as another hurricane doesn't whack us this weekend (which is a possibility at this point...) I'll paint it (prototype is not black like the final product will be) and post pictures of it attached to the car and off the car. I wanted to put up pictures of the solid model, but the resolution looked horrible when I was taking screenshots, which is the only way to post it as an image.

So long as fit and finish are what we need it to be, funds have been approved from the bank to pay for the mold / initial run of parts. So as soon as we say it's good, we can go ahead with commisioning the mold. Mold production / procurement / run-off will take us right into our September timeframe for initial delivery.

Pre-orders are going better than expected, and we're doing one Ebay auction at a time to keep ad costs down. I'll be talking with Brad soon as to doing some more with TMS, as I feel this is the "second home" of this part. We're also lining up with distributors, although a couple are holding out until production begins before placing orders.
Old 7/6/05 | 09:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

I tried to use the Buy It Now on eBay but because it couldn't calculate shipping, it wouldn't allow the transaction. Get Canadian postage (USPS preferred) up so I can pre-order this panel! :bang:

At least add me to your e-mail list: dmanchip at telus dot net.
Old 7/6/05 | 09:21 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally posted by exc911ence@July 6, 2005, 9:08 PM
I tried to use the Buy It Now on eBay but because it couldn't calculate shipping, it wouldn't allow the transaction. Get Canadian postage (USPS preferred) up so I can pre-order this panel! :bang:

At least add me to your e-mail list: dmanchip at telus dot net.
Ok... let me go to EBay and try and fix this, as you're not the first person to ask. I don't know if it is a EBay problem or a Paypal problem, but I'm going to try and fix it. FWIW, I calculated the shipping at 21.05 with insurance, via 4-10 day air mail to Canada. Does that sound about right? Box dimensions will be approx. 36x4x10, weight around 5 lbs., insured for 125.00.

** On edit ** It looks like I have the problem solved for our friends to the north. Please try again, and let me know if it works okay for you. If you have any further problems, I'll do whatever needs to be done on our end to fix it.

Thanks.
Old 7/6/05 | 10:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Fixed and order placed! Now hurry up and get it finsihed and shipped up to me!
Old 7/11/05 | 11:31 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Ok everyone... the prototype is here! Check out my website under the products section for a couple of pictures of it. I'll be talking with Brad in the next day or two, and may start a new thread about this depending on the discussion we have. Until then, does it look like what we've been talking about?

(Yes, I am very happy with it, of course YMMV)

Old 7/12/05 | 04:33 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Those news pictures make your product look more attractive. One suggestion would be to make the outer edges flush with the tail lights.
Old 7/12/05 | 05:13 AM
Cobra Member

It looks awesome.

-Dan

Quick Reply: Rear Honeycomb Panel