05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Rear Honeycomb Panel

Search this Thread

Old 5/21/05 | 10:18 AM
V6 Member

Does anyone know if there is a rear honeycomb panel being developed by anyone? I just tried to install the rear blackout vinyl and dorked it all up...
Old 5/21/05 | 10:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Good question. I would love for a honeycomb blackout to come out.
Old 5/21/05 | 10:40 AM
V6 Member

there is already one plain jane panel on the market but it looks like an extended taillight cover..
Old 5/21/05 | 11:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Do you have a pic or a link to it? I am interested to see how it looks.
Old 5/26/05 | 08:05 PM
Legacy Tms Member

We're in the mold development stages now. Patent paperwork is being submitted, and hopefully within a few weeks we'll have finalized pricing information and the SLA prototype completed. Production is looking like August at this point. We have drawings and photoshop renditions right now. Some of the requirements I have personally mandated in the design are:

1) UV / weather resistant ABS for the injection
2) Must attach using 3M automotive grade double-sided adhesive tape (so it can be removed without damaging the paint) and must have drains to keep from building up moisture behind unit.
3) Rear decklid emblem will have ring surrounding it, and will still be visible (ala the 71-73 Mustang gas cap)
4) Thickness will make it flush with taillight lenses

I'd be interested in who would like to get on a pre-order list for this, and I already decided that there will be a pre-production price for the unit, for those that are willing to order before production begins.

Currently, our car (05 GT white 5-speed) is being used by Superchips, Inc. as a product development vehicle, and won' be back for a couple more weeks, but the test drives already have been quite impressive.... Amazing what software can do to the new cars. Anyway, when it comes back we'll get back to work on final dimensioning of the taillight panel to insure the arcs are correct before comissioning the mold.

FWIW, the reason you haven't seen this out yet is development cost of the mold itself. A 30+" wide part is not a cheap mold to produce, especially for injection work. Prices quoted a couple months ago were over 50k... and that's before you ever make the first part! Then the injection equipment capable of doing the size shot we need is not cheap, labor, materials, etc... all adds up to I wish this was a fiberglass hood instead! (a LOT cheaper to produce)

Anyways, you can contact me via email through my website, or just post here, and I'll keep everyone informed of the progress.
Old 5/26/05 | 08:24 PM
GT Member

Yeah, thats the ticket...
I'd like it if it closely mimics the front grille / ties into some existing design attributes.
Old 5/26/05 | 11:32 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally posted by Mustang Ricky@May 26, 2005, 8:27 PM
Yeah, thats the ticket...
I'd like it if it closely mimics the front grille / ties into some existing design attributes.
We were originally going to make it the same as the 71-73 panel, but changed the design early on to match the honeycomb shape of the front lower insert / grill shape, which is a "stretched" honeycomb. In this way, the car will match front and rear.

It was asked already, and I will put it out there for everyone now...

We're still in talks with all the suppliers (packaging, plastics, adhesives, etc) for finalizing pricing information, but I think we can do 89.00+tax/shipping for pre-orders, with 50% down, balance due on shipment. Projected regular retail is going to be 119.00 so long as material costs stay in check. We're looking at August or September delivery, as once the mold is completed, it needs to get time on an injector machine to make the first run. We've been in business for 5 years, but have been waiting for the 2005's to make our mark in the industry from the supplier side of things. We've also been on EBay for quite some time, you can check out our feedback rating (SilverHorseRacing) if you like. We can accept checks, M.O.'s, or Paypal (credit cards fine).

Pre-Orders will be limited to the first 100 units. Current team T-shirts will be included free while supplies last.
Old 5/27/05 | 05:36 AM
Team Mustang Source

If everything turns out and meets the requirements I most likely will be buying one.
Old 5/27/05 | 08:32 AM
Bullitt Member

I notice a gap around the top edge of the GT emblem where I can see the white paint underneath. I sure hope that gets fixed in the production version...
Old 5/27/05 | 09:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just speaking for myself here, but I will only be interested if it looks very close to the 70 Mach 1 panel. The stretched out look in the pic does not do it for me. Good luck with your project in any case.
Old 5/27/05 | 09:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

That seems like a bit too much IMO. The blackout vinyl is plenty adding the honeycomb is going overboard.

To each their own but for me it's :notnice:
Old 5/27/05 | 11:02 AM

Originally posted by Hellcat6@May 27, 2005, 9:43 AM
Just speaking for myself here, but I will only be interested if it looks very close to the 70 Mach 1 panel. The stretched out look in the pic does not do it for me. Good luck with your project in any case.
Agreed I want the 70 Mach 1 look as well. Reason I got the 05, modern version(much Improved) of my first car.
Old 5/27/05 | 11:46 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Well, the gap is there because you're looking at a photoshop (and a poor one at that) of what we're up to. The production piece will fit to OEM standards, or I won't produce it. FWIW, my Mach I took 11 months of block work before I painted it, and it was relatively straight when I started, so fit and finish of anything we produce will not be a problem. Now as to my photoshop skills.... well maybe I should just stick to cars !

As to the shape of the hex, the photoshop was done stealing a photo from my 1973's taillight panel and morphing it to fit the rear of our 05 to allow the mold guys to have a visual idea of what we were talking about back when I was shopping for a mold shop to tackle the job. The actual shape of the hex is going to mimic the front grill hex to maintain continuity from front to back on the car. I considered doing a perfect radius small hex like the earlier version, but since this piece is going to be larger than the original cars (69-73) I wanted it to match up. Now, that said, the hex isn't going to be as large as the grill, because it would not visually reproduce enough times across the taillight area, so we're going to be scaling it a bit to shrink the size, but keep the height/width ratio consistent. This should fall "middle of the road" for most people who are looking at this product, as making multiple versions is cost-prohibitive from a mold standpoint. I'd love to make about 4 different versions, but it's just not possible given the anticipated volume.

We have a meeting again with the mold producers on Tuesday. I will spend some time this weekend perfecting the photoshop image from our solid models so that you will have a better graphic representation of what is coming. SLA (Stereo Lithography) prototpye actual photos will follow when they are completed.
Old 5/27/05 | 12:08 PM
Banned

:notnice: Sorry, dont like it at all.......
Old 5/27/05 | 12:27 PM
Bullitt Member

To each his/her own, but I agree with Ponygirl. Do not like it, do not like it one bit. :notnice:

EK
Old 5/27/05 | 01:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Check with Fang Performance. I know they were developing one that should hve been finished a week or 2 ago. Contact them and I'm sure they will help you if it is done.
Old 5/27/05 | 05:50 PM
GT Member

Ask if the mold can be done as a two (or more) cavity design that used different inserts. Do two (or more) different designs using similar mass and see what we have to say. Work with the mold house to plan ahead for inserts to accomodate variants. Put them both out there for trial.

You've got a selective clientele, but if you get it right - paydirt!

Yours truly,
Juan Tufkustmer
Old 5/27/05 | 06:06 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally posted by Mustang Ricky@May 27, 2005, 5:53 PM
Ask if the mold can be done as a two (or more) cavity design that used different inserts. Do two (or more) different designs using similar mass and see what we have to say. Work with the mold house to plan ahead for inserts to accomodate variants. Put them both out there for trial.

You've got a selective clientele, but if you get it right - paydirt!

Yours truly,
Juan Tufkustmer
Everyone, please keep the comments coming. I/we appreciate everything, good and bad that you have to say about this.

As to the inserts, at first, I think we're going to be on one design. If the demand is there as I think it is, we'll definitely be pinging the Mustang community for follow-up designs. I already have a couple variations that I thought would be cool and were included in our patent application, but until we pay for the first mold and runoff, we just can't do variants.

As to input from everyone on the first design, when the SLA is done we can unveil it for all to see and comment on. At the SLA stage, finishes can be changed as needed, it's more a proof-of-concept and a check for fit and finish.

Keep it coming!
Old 5/27/05 | 07:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

looks like a Pontiac Trans Am rear with the honeycomb and I never liked those cars. JMO~
Old 5/27/05 | 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think it's interesting and may be just the ticket to jazz up the somewhat bland rear end of the car. The black-out vinyl jobs look great but what to do if you've got a black GT like myself? Keep working on the photoshop, I'm almost sold!

Quick Reply: Rear Honeycomb Panel