05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Problem with HIDs, delay in fire-up, R side only.

Search this Thread

Old 6/20/10, 12:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Problem with HIDs, delay in fire-up, R side only.

05 GT, vvme 5k kit purchased/installed 01/2008, no issues until recently.

So I turn on my headlights and the Drivers turns on no prob, but the Pass. doesn't (90% of the time.). Sometimes it takes 5sec - 3min. Same goes for the foglights. Driv. on, Pass. lags...sometimes (only 5% of the time, if that) I thought it was a ballast, but it doesnt stay off, and the high/low still work.

I've disconnected everything, and reconnected it, checked all wired, and bulbs, switched bulbs R->L, switched ballasts R->L, no matter what I do, it's the right side... WTF?! I emailed the manufacturer, but they sent me an email in Chinese.

Old 6/20/10, 12:28 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Synapse
I emailed the manufacturer, but they sent me an email in Chinese.
Do you have a language converter in Word or something?

Grounding/corrosion issue?
Old 6/20/10, 04:03 AM

Yes, but the context is jacked up. Basicly saying buy another kit, lol.
Old 6/20/10, 09:15 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a less extreme problem like that when I first installed my vvme kit. There was a few times that I would realize driving down the road that my left headlight wasn't on, but I just flipped my lights off then back on and that solved the problem. It hasn't happened for a few months so I guess the ballast/bulb/relay had to just get broken in, I guess.

But that's the only problem buying from vvme, they're customer service is lacking because of the language barrier. Don't get me wrong, they're nice and reply in a timely fashion, but it just doesn't work too well.

But it sounds to me like you did pretty much everything you could do to figure out what's going on. Maybe it's the relay that's malfunctioning?? The good thing is that the vvme kits are cheap$$$ so if you did absolutely have to buy another kit it wouldn't put a huge dent in your pocket. You can buy two or three vvme kits compared to one kit from some of these other HID sellers. But mine have worked just fine so far, so I'm happy with them.

Good luck
Old 6/21/10, 07:40 AM
GT Member

you probably need to get a relay kit. you can get them off ebay for like $10. it connects the headlights to the battery directly so they will always have the highest amount of power to run them.
Old 6/21/10, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by musshoss
you probably need to get a relay kit. you can get them off ebay for like $10. it connects the headlights to the battery directly so they will always have the highest amount of power to run them.
I dont understand... they draw less power than the stockers, soooo shouldn't the stock wiring be more than enough?
Old 6/22/10, 07:32 AM
GT Member

yes, once they start up. the ignition process is what requires alot of power. and it needs a constant 12v source to power them or you will have flickering, etc. when i had my ac on and stopped at a red light or something the foglights would flicker and go off or something like that. just get once of these for your bulb type - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H4-HI...Q5fAccessories
Old 11/12/10, 02:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by musshoss
just get once of these for your bulb type - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H4-HI...Q5fAccessories
I know this is a little bit older thread but I have this issue too and need to get one of the relays. Anyone have a good link to one that would fix the problem?
Old 11/16/10, 01:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Nobody?
Old 11/16/10, 10:56 AM
Bullitt Member

http://www.vvme.com/hid-relay-harnes...iqsse6gjuepdh2

specifically you should need
http://www.vvme.com/relay-harness-fo....html?cPath=20

but i dont know your set up...you should be using the bi-xenon kit, so you should need the bi xenon harness. also if you check ebay you can probably find one locally...its all the same as far as i can see, but if im wrong, someone oughta chime in and correct me
Old 11/17/10, 12:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Thank you very much for your help. With that information I was able to track down the right one. Thanks again!
Old 11/17/10, 06:59 AM
GT Member

i had nothing but issues with my vvme kit.

i bought a kit from ddm tuning and it was worked quite well and is alot cheaper.

http://www.ddmtuning.com

plus their customer service is local.
Old 11/18/10, 03:10 PM
V6 Member

I got mine from Retro-Solutions for both headlights and foglights. Had it since the beginning of the year and still no problems. It may be a little pricier but hey, you can't go wrong with lifetime warranty. When I was installing my kits, I had one ballast that was defective and sent an email to Retro-Solutions to solve this problem. I sent the ballast back and they said they could not locate the problem - therefore they sent me a new one right away! Their customer service are great and they stand behind their lifetime warranty.

Just another option if you can't fix your problem.
Old 11/19/10, 12:03 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm running Retro-Solutions headlights and fogs also. Only problem I've had is the need for the relay harness because the passenger side intermittently shuts off. But this is I'm sure due to the fact that I have so many electrical gadgets running in my car and the nightmare UDPs I'm dealing with now.