05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Poor quality clear lights from an Ebay seller!

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/09, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Poor quality clear lights from an Ebay seller!

Just thought I would give everyone a heads up on some clear turn signal lights I bought on Ebay from "motorblvd". The pair was $30 plus $15 shipping. After the first time I drove in the rain, they got moisture in them. After a couple of weeks, the condensation was still there.

I contacted the seller and asked for an exchange. They replied and said "sorry, it's past 60 days since you bought them, and they're out of warranty"! They mention nothing about the 60 day warranty in the auction. I explained that the lights got water in them the first time they were in the rain, and I just wanted to exchange them, not get a refund. They replied again and said that they would replace them, but I would have to return the defective ones at my expense, and pay another $15 for shipping and handling of the replacement set!

At that point, I basically told them what they could do with their lights , and I would let all my Mustang friends know about the quality of their parts and service. As you can see in the pic below, the water caused the chrome to come off inside the lights (especially the top one). When I removed them they both had about 2 or 3 ounces of water pooled inside the housings.

Sorry for the long post.....make your own decision about buying from this Ebay vendor!

Old 9/9/09, 07:54 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Ebay lights are always cheap. It's a good idea to put some silicone around the edges to seal them better. My headlights have tons of cracks in them after only a couple months. And I rarely ever drive with my lights on.
Old 9/9/09, 08:10 PM
Bullitt Member

The vast majority of the mods I've bought on ebay have been good quality, but these lights were terrible. They are a very poor design and actually have 3 vent holes with caps in them (I guess to prevent heat build-up). It looks like the ones they are selling now are a newer design without the vent holes. There's no way I'm sending them another dime of my money for an exchange! Oh well, live & learn.....
Old 9/9/09, 08:23 PM
Cobra R Member

thanks for the heads up about this matter,,some ebay seller are good and most are bad,,I have got alot of really nice mustang parts off ebay,,but you still have to be careful who you buy from.

Last edited by ricksGT/CS; 9/9/09 at 08:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 9/9/09, 08:37 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha and I was just looking around tonight on eBay for clear corners...THANKS! I assume most all of them are about the same quality..it's tough to drop $100+ on a good set though. You get what you pay for though
Old 9/9/09, 08:45 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought the smoked version of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...d=p3911.c0.m14 from seller zizalighting. They are as good or better than the ones from Stangmods, I've had both.

These are the smoked ones I bought BTW ==> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...d=p3911.c0.m14

Last edited by NJ3; 9/9/09 at 08:47 PM.
Old 9/9/09, 08:48 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by NJ3
I bought the smoked version of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...d=p3911.c0.m14 from seller zizalighting. They are as good or better than the ones from Stangmods, I've had both.

These are the smoked ones I bought BTW ==> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...d=p3911.c0.m14

Great. I may give those a try then.
Old 9/10/09, 08:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by NJ3

I bought the smoked set from zizlighting and am very pleased with their customer service. The front right smoked signal collected condensation. I told them about the problem and attached a picture. And the same day they shipped me out a new set. Thats great customer service!
Old 9/10/09, 09:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bhead32
I bought the smoked set from zizlighting and am very pleased with their customer service. The front right smoked signal collected condensation. I told them about the problem and attached a picture. And the same day they shipped me out a new set. Thats great customer service!
Wow! That is great service. I wish my seller had been that cooperative!
Old 9/10/09, 10:50 AM
Cobra Member

I have the ziza smoked ones as well, they're dark and make the bulbs almost invisible in bright sunlight, but they seem to be good quality.

Last edited by CO_VaporGT_09; 9/10/09 at 08:22 PM.
Old 9/10/09, 01:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by topoffGT
Just thought I would give everyone a heads up on some clear turn signal lights I bought on Ebay from "motorblvd". The pair was $30 plus $15 shipping. After the first time I drove in the rain, they got moisture in them. After a couple of weeks, the condensation was still there.

I contacted the seller and asked for an exchange. They replied and said "sorry, it's past 60 days since you bought them, and they're out of warranty"! They mention nothing about the 60 day warranty in the auction. I explained that the lights got water in them the first time they were in the rain, and I just wanted to exchange them, not get a refund. They replied again and said that they would replace them, but I would have to return the defective ones at my expense, and pay another $15 for shipping and handling of the replacement set!

At that point, I basically told them what they could do with their lights , and I would let all my Mustang friends know about the quality of their parts and service. As you can see in the pic below, the water caused the chrome to come off inside the lights (especially the top one). When I removed them they both had about 2 or 3 ounces of water pooled inside the housings.

Sorry for the long post.....make your own decision about buying from this Ebay vendor!

I just installed the black version of them, love the look but have not had them in rain. Hope I don't have the same issue. Have you tried uninstalling, drying with a hairdryer, sealing them and reinstalling?
Old 9/10/09, 03:18 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
I just installed the black version of them, love the look but have not had them in rain. Hope I don't have the same issue. Have you tried uninstalling, drying with a hairdryer, sealing them and reinstalling?
The lamp sockets on some brands of aftermarket lights don't fit tightly. The smaller lamp sockets on certain corner lights especially may need a bead of silicone or an additional o-ring to seal.
Old 9/10/09, 04:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
The pic below is of the back underside of the light housing. As you can see, these were designed with 3 openings around the light socket that have black caps. The caps cover the ends, but don't cover the slits. It looks like they are there to vent any heat created by the lights. There were no instructions that said anything about using silicone to seal these holes. Bottom line...they are a crappy design and the seller is not standing behind the product at all!

I did not bother to try to dry them out. I'm not reinstalling them with the chrome peeled off on the inside.

Old 9/10/09, 05:40 PM
GT Member

The pic below is of the back underside of the light housing. As you can see, these were designed with 3 openings around the light socket that have black caps. The caps cover the ends, but don't cover the slits. It looks like they are there to vent any heat created by the lights. There were no instructions that said anything about using silicone to seal these holes. Bottom line...they are a crappy design and the seller is not standing behind the product at all!

I did not bother to try to dry them out. I'm not reinstalling them with the chrome peeled off on the inside.

this sucks, i just bought smoked lights & they look just like that, i got them from ebay from ipex motoring, looks like a wasted $50.
Old 9/10/09, 06:25 PM
Cobra Member

Read your first post too quickly, didn't realize it peeled the chrome.

Guess I really should seal mine asap. I was sort of curious what those holes were for exactly.
Old 9/10/09, 08:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by truckmec67
this sucks, i just bought smoked lights & they look just like that, i got them from ebay from ipex motoring, looks like a wasted $50.
Maybe they'll take them back, or at least give you some advice on sealing them up?
Old 9/11/09, 10:21 AM
GT Member

Maybe they'll take them back, or at least give you some advice on sealing them up?
its kinda odd, there was no phone number on the invoice, maybe they dont want to hear any complaints, gotta go my hood & bumper just showed up.
Old 9/11/09, 01:51 PM
Bullitt Member

I suppose you could crack them open and re-glue them. What a pain though.