05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Pony Grille Emblem Removal

Search this Thread

Old 8/6/07, 06:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pony Grille Emblem Removal

How do you remove the pony from the grille? I got a replacement one, but it didn't come with directions, and I don't want to mess anything up on my grille. I'm sure its simple, but I figured I'd ask before I do it.

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 8/6/07, 07:49 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
The only way I've heard it can be removed is to break off the pins from the backside.
Old 8/6/07, 09:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by StangNut
The only way I've heard it can be removed is to break off the pins from the backside.
Dammit... that's not what i wanted to hear
Old 8/6/07, 10:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
use an exacto knife. I was able to save 3 of them. just, like anything else, take your time. pry from each side of the peg, once the clip is away from the grille, then a very small flathead driver can get them the rest of the way. It's kinda small finger territory, be carreful. If they do break, don't worry about it, there is still enough depth left on the pins for future use of the pony. I've done this on all my mustangs. Replaced everyone with CDC Stars & Stripes. You will still be able to use the pony regardless if the tips breakoff or not. They make for some cool dress up ideas: Engine bay, under hood, under trunk lids, interior, and wall decor too.
Old 8/6/07, 10:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FLAstangx3
use an exacto knife. I was able to save 3 of them. just, like anything else, take your time. pry from each side of the peg, once the clip is away from the grille, then a very small flathead driver can get them the rest of the way. It's kinda small finger territory, be carreful. If they do break, don't worry about it, there is still enough depth left on the pins for future use of the pony. I've done this on all my mustangs. Replaced everyone with CDC Stars & Stripes. You will still be able to use the pony regardless if the tips breakoff or not. They make for some cool dress up ideas: Engine bay, under hood, under trunk lids, interior, and wall decor too.
do i have to take the grille out first?
Old 8/6/07, 10:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

NO, NADA, NOT. Dont do it. Just remove the pins on the radiator shroud cover. Granted there's not of room to work, and you can't see them all either. But figuring your going to break at least two, it doesn't seem logical to remove the grill for that extra room. some are going to break anyway. Removing the grille is asking for trouble. I know I removed the whole facia, to remove and paint my headlight buckets. Two words come to mind: Never Again.
Old 8/7/07, 07:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine bay, under hood, under trunk lids, interior, and wall decor too.
Heh, my whole grille is hanging in my closet now like a photo, I should wire it up
Old 8/7/07, 08:10 AM
Bullitt Member

NO, NADA, NOT. Dont do it. Just remove the pins on the radiator shroud cover. Granted there's not of room to work, and you can't see them all either. But figuring your going to break at least two, it doesn't seem logical to remove the grill for that extra room. some are going to break anyway. Removing the grille is asking for trouble. I know I removed the whole facia, to remove and paint my headlight buckets. Two words come to mind: Never Again.
ok cool... good to know! Thanks!
Old 8/7/07, 08:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by kevinb120
Heh, my whole grille is hanging in my closet now like a photo, I should wire it up
Never thought of wiring mine. good idea. Just got one of mine up as a book shelf. (Well, a 1:18th Mustang display shelf actually)

Have another one up for keys billfold and pocket stuff.

PS: My wifie will hate you for putting that idea in my head
Old 8/8/07, 05:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Removing the grille is no big deal. You need the room with it out on a bench to securely install the push washers on the replacement. Fors tech manual here:
http://bradbarnett.net/service_man/B...tor_Grille.pdf

You don't have to remove the whole bumper cover. Just remove the radiator cover. Removed you have more room to try to salvage the pins. I used needle nose pliers, but still ended up breaking 2 of the 3.

I used a socket and extention the same size as the washer to push the new washers on evenly. I put some of those stick-on velcro dots on the back of the chrome pony and put it on the back deck.
Old 8/15/07, 11:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks guys... I'll be doing this later today