05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Paint Experts Opnions Wanted!!!

Search this Thread

Old 8/14/06, 02:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Experts Opnions Wanted!!!

I'm currently having my decklid repainted (not necessary but read thread for whole story http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=51420).
So anyways the bodyshop guy calls me up today but says he noticed there is a fish eye in the center of the decklid. My questions are:

What is a fisheye?
Are they noticable to the naked eye? (body shops in LA I'm in San Diego so I don't want to drive down there to look at it.)
Will it effect the paint later on down the road?

Just want to know if I should have him repaint because of the fisheye.
Old 8/16/06, 07:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
I'm currently having my decklid repainted (not necessary but read thread for whole story http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=51420).
So anyways the bodyshop guy calls me up today but says he noticed there is a fish eye in the center of the decklid. My questions are:

What is a fisheye?
Are they noticable to the naked eye? (body shops in LA I'm in San Diego so I don't want to drive down there to look at it.)
Will it effect the paint later on down the road?

Just want to know if I should have him repaint because of the fisheye.
Hi Leo...a fisyeye is a bubble the comes to the surface and burst...looks like a very small volcano top. It can be caused by several things. If the body shop knows what their doing they can repair it by spraying a small amount of clear in it ( burning in) then wetsanding with the rest of the painted area and polished. If its down to the color coat it would have to be repaired also before the clear...if its a metallic color ( like redfire) thats a little tougher to touch up and the entire panel might have to be repainted...........I would have them fix it for sure as its an imperfection that can be seen very easy.
Old 8/16/06, 07:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hireman
Hi Leo...a fisyeye is a bubble the comes to the surface and burst...looks like a very small volcano top. It can be caused by several things. If the body shop knows what their doing they can repair it by spraying a small amount of clear in it ( burning in) then wetsanding with the rest of the painted area and polished. If its down to the color coat it would have to be repaired also before the clear...if its a metallic color ( like redfire) thats a little tougher to touch up and the entire panel might have to be repainted...........I would have them fix it for sure as its an imperfection that can be seen very easy.
I second that opinion. Have them fix it.
Old 8/16/06, 12:35 PM
Bullitt Member

fish eyes are most always cause by a contaminate in the paint prcess , like silicone on the surface. If it is only one it aint no big deal , they can bury it with clear and wet sand and buff it out . I am a little worried though they might not have preped the rest of the deck lid correctly . I saw your post and have noticed the arent doing you a very good job
Old 8/16/06, 12:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

tks. They're fixing it now as I found multiple fisheyes when I went and looked at it. I'll be picking it up friday hopefully everything will look good.
Old 8/16/06, 02:02 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good luck. That's a shame. As stated, they're usually caused by contaminants such as silicone... found in tire shine products... easy to see how they get there.