05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Ruggedness of a CDC Chin Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 8/13/06, 12:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ruggedness of a CDC Chin Spoiler

Ok, so I am heavily contemplating a CDC chin spoiler as you've probably guessed. Although I am a fairly contious driver, I need to know if the CDC can clear a curb. Also I need to know if the spoiler is scraped on the ground will it survive, fall off, get bent or other? Any input for those who own this product would be greatly appreciated.

Ben
Old 8/13/06, 02:36 AM
Bullitt Member

dude it could clear some curbs but i just try to park far enough back to stay away from the curb. i bottomed it out on ditches coming out of driveways and it only scratched it up on the very front. even if u hit a curb it will bend back. it is very durable. i need to get mine repainted because of the scratch and rock chips hittin it. im thinking of just gettin the cervinis eleanor front on. plus my car is lowered.
Old 8/13/06, 07:02 AM
Team Mustang Source

Have the CDC Classic and have driven with it about 10K miles. While I have been good about remembering it's on the car - there have been 4 times when I had my head up my butt and parked too close to a curb, etc. One of these times the spoiler really hit, bent and sprang right back. Got some scratches on it and probably will get it repainted over the winter but no cracks, in it.. It is extremely durable.

An interesting point is that it fits snugly using existing screws and the middle section has the 3M tape. Due to the hits with the curb, the 3M tape is no longer holding but it allows the spoiler to bend in the middle if hit.
Old 8/13/06, 08:25 AM
V6 Member

thinking about the classic, but was wanting to keep it flat black. when you order it, does it come flat? If so, does it look nice enough to not need painting?

Thanks Guys!
Old 8/13/06, 11:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the CDC classic and have unintentionally abused it pretty well. I scraped it bad the day after I got it, but most of the damage was to the underside, which really didn't show. It clears some curbs, and not others. You learn to judge which is which, and you learn not to "pull up". I once walked away from my car, then turned around to see the spoiler bent back under the front end, upside down! When I backed the car up, I couldn't even see any damage, and the spoiler bounced right back. I'd say it's plenty rugged. Mine came in a bare, tan colored urethane, but if you panint it flat/satin black it would be easy to touch up with a spray can. Only problem is that it does collect bugs.
Old 8/13/06, 02:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Bends back well if you hit curbs as others have said.
It doesn't come in the flat black color, you have to request it.
Bottom of the spoiler is no lower than the car itself, but it does stick out more so back into parking spots instead of risking hitting the front end.
Old 8/13/06, 02:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks all for the help. It is greatly appreciated. Guess I'll be purchasing a CDC front spoiler.
Old 8/13/06, 07:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mine got whacked by metal road debris on I75 outside of Detroit. Took it just as well as the bumper cover and hood lip ,just cosmetic damage,nothing structural.Getting fixed this week.
Old 8/16/06, 10:33 AM

don't buy it painted if you want flat black

Ya, same here, mine's gotten smacked around alot and it's held its own very nicely. I'm switching to a Saleen front so I won't have mine for much longer. Don't bother having it painted though, it comes nice and prepped already. Just go to the hardware store and buy a can of black bumper paint and spray it yourself. Here's a pic
Old 8/16/06, 09:03 PM
Bullitt Member

When I purchased mine, it came painted flat black. It held up very well. I had it painted body color but it does scrape on a lot of driveways and on some curbs. This is why I have not had the car lowered. I had the spoiler repainted this summer and I am backing into all parking spots and driveways from now on.
Attached Thumbnails Ruggedness of a CDC Chin Spoiler-fireisl.jpg