05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Nitrogen filled tires

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/08, 09:50 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Nitrogen filled tires

What are the particulars besides supposably providing a better ride and handling? What about low or high air (nitrogen) pressures? Thanks.
Old 6/8/08, 12:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't know about "better ride and handling", but seasonal and hard usage won't change your pressure. I use it on ALL my vehicles. None have had pressure changing problems. The GT get's a workout constantly, the Bird sits for long periods then just cruises, The Truck does it all. Very pleased with what I originally thought, would be a waste of money. Perfect tire pressure all the time, also helps your MPG. But with a Bullitt and NOW a GT500, I guess that's a mood point (Told you I was jealous)
Old 6/8/08, 12:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used nitogen for 5 years now , less likely to loose pressure nitrgen molicles, are larger, no moisture inside so less rust and corosetion and tire rot.less heat build up and nitrogen is lighter than air so you may see so gains their? Ilike the fact that when I change tires my wheels still look like new inside.
Old 6/8/08, 05:26 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by boss429man
I used nitogen for 5 years now , less likely to loose pressure nitrgen molicles, are larger, no moisture inside so less rust and corosetion and tire rot.less heat build up and nitrogen is lighter than air so you may see so gains their? Ilike the fact that when I change tires my wheels still look like new inside.
The difference in weight is negligible.
Air is over 75% nitrogen.
The molecular size is actually smaller than oxygen which makes up @20% of the rest.
Also, no moisture is good, but that can be achieved with dry air.
No oxygen is much more important (besides moisture is just oxygen and hydrogen).
My rims always look like new on the inside and I like to change my tires every 5 to 10 years.
I don't use nitrogen, it does help for temp stability in racing.
Old 6/12/08, 06:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My only problem with Nitrogen in the tires is: When I add to the pressure for drag racing or autoX, it's ordinary air. When I remove pressure for street use, there I am with a mix of N and air, again exacerbated by the next similar cycle. Doesn't take many to render the N moot. Costco filled the tires with N when new, and is willing to refill them any time I bring them in, but it's more hassle than it's worth. I reckon a home setup to replenish N would be prohibitively expensive.

Ideally there are benefits to using N in your tires, but in the end, if you don't have the home setup, or work in a tire shop that has an N setup, or don't have the motivation to go to and bother the supplier every time you bump up the tire pressure, N is a gimmick.