05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Newbie and would love some help.

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/14, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie and would love some help.

I originally posted in the introduction section, but maybe this is the correct place.

As of right I'm 19 years old, and going for my first car. An 05 v6 mustang.. Iv always loved mustangs, but for my first car, I decided to go for the automatic. I am saving 300 dollars a week for this beauty and hope to have within 5 months or so. I have a lot of plans for the car, obviously I'm not going for the whole super powered mustang, I'm in more for the looks.. Hood scoops, louvers, blacked out rims, halo smoked lights, awesome looking interior and what not. Please give me some suggestions! And remember I'm a newbie.. Aswell as a big newbie to cars in general, thanks!
Old 4/14/14, 12:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dominant, welcome to the wonderful world of mustangs...

First thing I'd say is -- if this is your first car, and you're looking at investing some money in it -- get a GT.

I can't imagine that the price difference on a 10-year used one is all that different, but of the mods you do, you'll be extremely lucky to get any value back out of them when it comes time to sell. The way you avoid that problem, is by getting a platform that you're much less likely to sell (i.e. a GT).

The last thing you want to do is do a whole bunch of mods to a car, then discover that you really want something with a bit more power, only to lose the value in all of those mods.

Last edited by friedmaster; 4/14/14 at 12:26 PM.
Old 4/14/14, 02:16 PM

Thank you! It's nice to hear some feedback, and I appreciate it. You are right.. An automatic gt is still pretty good power wise right?
Old 4/14/14, 02:20 PM
Supporting Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

If you are going to start with appearance upgrades, buy parts that will fit a GT also. They share many of the same components, hoods, lights, rims etc...

I recommend enjoying the V6 for a few years and trading up for a GT when you get out of college.

Nick C.
Old 4/14/14, 02:38 PM

Looks like I got a decision to make.. My original goal was for a 05 v6 automatic, but if I can get a 05 gt automatic, is it really that much more expensive? Buying parts that would fit a gt is smart aswell.. I like that idea. I'm just such a newbie too cars.. Somewhat got over my fear of driving recently, just having a hard time figuring what to get. And please do forgive me if I'm wrong, but a gt is more money on insurance right?
Old 4/14/14, 04:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
For many, there has been no change in the insurance between the V6 and the GT. Check with many companies before purchasing either car or insurance. The price difference for a GT would most likely be small compared to smile factor later down the road. The appearance upgrades you want would be about the same price for either car. Don't limit yourself to a specific model because you may miss a deal on something.
Old 4/14/14, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by AzPete
For many, there has been no change in the insurance between the V6 and the GT. Check with many companies before purchasing either car or insurance. The price difference for a GT would most likely be small compared to smile factor later down the road. The appearance upgrades you want would be about the same price for either car. Don't limit yourself to a specific model because you may miss a deal on something.
I will keep that in mind.. I really appreciate all the friendly help, I feel quite welcome here! Now does this still count for an automatic gt? I just don't know how to drive a stick, and would rather have an easier drive.
Old 4/15/14, 05:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dominant
Thank you! It's nice to hear some feedback, and I appreciate it. You are right.. An automatic gt is still pretty good power wise right?
Yes it definitely is. An automatic GT definitely won't be any less "practical" than a v6, but you get such a better platform to start off, and the power will be there when you want it. Of course, right now you're not thinking of going that fast, but it's an addiction with a mustang.
Old 4/15/14, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by friedmaster
Yes it definitely is. An automatic GT definitely won't be any less "practical" than a v6, but you get such a better platform to start off, and the power will be there when you want it. Of course, right now you're not thinking of going that fast, but it's an addiction with a mustang.
awesome, il start looking around, thank you!
Old 4/21/14, 07:19 PM

Manual mustangs are pretty easy to drive and learn also. And they are way more fun, in my opinion. I wouldn't throw them out just because you don't know how or are afraid to drive them. Lost my man card on this one, but had my wife drive home my 5spd mustang many years ago because I didn't know how to drive it yet. Only took a few days to learn.
Old 4/21/14, 07:43 PM

I think you would enjoy a manual. I learned to drive one when I was 16, so I know you can do it! Try out both before you decide.
Old 4/21/14, 08:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Welcome to TMS dominant.
Old 4/23/14, 01:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Booger II
I think you would enjoy a manual. I learned to drive one when I was 16, so I know you can do it! Try out both before you decide.
I might 3rd that comment.

Granted, I bought mine with an auto at 16, it was (obviously) very expensive to change it over.

If you're viewing this car as a starter mustang, I wouldn't modify anything but the wheels.

If this is a car you can see yourself keepign forever, then it obviously pays to invest.