05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

New mods to V6

Search this Thread

Old 10/18/05, 06:00 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed 3 switches in the blank panel next to the power port in the dash and used the wiring going to the power port for the switches(ground and 12 volts).Ran a wire from 2 of the switches through the firewall to heavy duty relays which in turn power the 2 sets of fog lights.Swapped out the power port fuse to a 7 amp fuse.Ran a wire from the 3rd switch to the passenger side kick plate and spliced into the wire for the trunk release.The heavy duty relays get power for the lights from the relay/fuse box under the hood through a 15 amp fuse to the relay to the lights.Grounds for the lights are attached the the horn mounting bracket just behind the grille.
Old 10/18/05, 12:20 PM

Where did you get the "cover" you have in the power outlet between the swithces? Doesn't look stock.
Old 10/18/05, 04:33 PM
GT Member

Its just a black plug I bought at Lowes that fit right in the hole where that power port cover was.Paid about a dollar forr it.
Old 10/18/05, 10:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by MrWick@October 15, 2005, 3:44 PM
The reason I put a hitch on the Mustang is I am trading the Explorer in on something that gets better gas mileage,not sure what it will be bit looking at the new HHR by Chevrolet od a Madza3 5 door and neither have a step bumper for a hitch.

I used a dremel tool to make the openning in the lower grill for the rectangular lights,Cot most of the hole with side cutter then sanded it to the size I wanted with the dremel,worked pretty good.I actuall attached the light bracket to the bottom of the grille.There is enogh of a gap below the grille to put a flat headed screw underneath it without hurting anything.I wired the lights through a heavy duty relay to a switch in the car.I have 3 switches on a panel in the dash,one for the upper fogs,one for the lower fogs and the third for the trunk release.They work fine and look pretty good if you don't have the message center switches in your car.
You do nice work. How about a part number and where you purchased the round switches? One thing great about this forum is being able to latch onto parts from mods others have done.
Old 10/19/05, 06:17 AM
GT Member

I bought those switches at Auto Zone but almost all of the discount auto parts stores have them.I haven't seen them at Pep Boys but most of the other ones have them.They have the round ones andoval ones both come with red,blue or green leds.I have two red and one green in my car.Couldn't find the third red when I made mine.
Old 10/19/05, 07:43 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by MrWick@October 15, 2005, 3:52 PM
bought it the first week of November last year but only has 840 miles on it.

840 miles, holy crap! I put 135 just driving home from ISELLFORD's dealership. Picked up on Sep 10th and have 2200 miles on her. I wanted to drive as much as possible before salt hits the road. Then it's off to sleep till April or May.
Old 10/26/05, 01:57 PM

Mr Wick, glad to see someone else out there with a hitch on his car. I'm about to fit one to tow my dirt bike but wonder of you can answer a few questions:

1) Is your hitch a Drawtite or HiddenHitch?
2) Why the choice of this one and not the other?
3) How difficult to install and time taken?

I decided on the Hiddenhitch but would like to get other opinions. Appreciate any feedback before I start ordering and tweaking.