05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

New mods to V6

Search this Thread

Old 10/14/05, 04:28 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed small fog lights in the lower grille and installed a trailer hitch so I can toe a small utility trailer.
Old 10/14/05, 04:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Lower fogs are nice.

Trailer hitch :scratch: guess if the Stang is your only car it's ok.

Edit: Just saw the explorer. Why a trailer hitch?
Old 10/14/05, 07:11 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Bill......I think you're getting a little overboard....
Old 10/14/05, 07:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by GIDDEUP@October 14, 2005, 6:45 PM
Lower fogs are nice.

Trailer hitch :scratch: guess if the Stang is your only car it's ok.

Edit: Just saw the explorer. Why a trailer hitch?
I'm putting a hitch on mine because when I'm pulling my jetski around I may detach the trailer at wherever I'm staying and take the car somewhere else. Want a fun vehicle to do it with.

Would like to see if those "hidden behind the plate" ones are available or if something else can be done. Of course have to have the car first...
Old 10/15/05, 06:33 AM
GT Member

Mr Wick,

Got a question on the rectangular fog lights on the bottom grille. How did you mount them? Do you have any detailed instructions. I've been wanting to put rectangular fog lights in the upper grill (think old mach1) but the angles suck. The grille not only angles down, but away from center. Getting the lights level so they point straight ahead is impossible for me. And cutting the holes (rectangular) was a pain (I couldn't get my jigsaw all they way around because of the tabs on the back). I'd appreciate any info you have on how you mounted them.

Thanx
Frank
Old 10/15/05, 03:41 PM
GT Member

The reason I put a hitch on the Mustang is I am trading the Explorer in on something that gets better gas mileage,not sure what it will be bit looking at the new HHR by Chevrolet od a Madza3 5 door and neither have a step bumper for a hitch.

I used a dremel tool to make the openning in the lower grill for the rectangular lights,Cot most of the hole with side cutter then sanded it to the size I wanted with the dremel,worked pretty good.I actuall attached the light bracket to the bottom of the grille.There is enogh of a gap below the grille to put a flat headed screw underneath it without hurting anything.I wired the lights through a heavy duty relay to a switch in the car.I have 3 switches on a panel in the dash,one for the upper fogs,one for the lower fogs and the third for the trunk release.They work fine and look pretty good if you don't have the message center switches in your car.
Old 10/15/05, 03:49 PM
GT Member

I know I get carried away once in awhile but I like to experiment.to see what something looks like.I don't drive the car very much,bought it the first week of November last year but only has 840 miles on it.If I don't like the changes I make I just go back to original.I have V6 grilles without lights so I just replace whatever I don't like.I have all the stock stuff that I have changed so I am safe if I have to go back.I like the big lights,like the small lights but its up in the air about having them both in the car at the same time.
Old 10/15/05, 05:09 PM
Bullitt Member

are those the factory GT fogs in the grille? I like how they look spread further apart. The thing i dont like is those lower fogs...they look like they dont belong there.
Old 10/15/05, 05:57 PM
Bullitt Member

FINALLY...a picture of a hitch installed. Looks like the drawtite, correct? From the picture it looks like more of the hitch bar will be hidden on the GT by the lip in the bumper. You might send the pic to drawtite, neither drawtite nor hidden hitch could provide me a picture of a hitch installed.

Please don't laugh at me if you see me towing my quad down the road with my GT...
Old 10/15/05, 07:16 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by MrWick@October 15, 2005, 4:44 PM
The reason I put a hitch on the Mustang is I am trading the Explorer in on something that gets better gas mileage,not sure what it will be bit looking at the new HHR by Chevrolet od a Madza3 5 door and neither have a step bumper for a hitch.

I used a dremel tool to make the openning in the lower grill for the rectangular lights,Cot most of the hole with side cutter then sanded it to the size I wanted with the dremel,worked pretty good.I actuall attached the light bracket to the bottom of the grille.There is enogh of a gap below the grille to put a flat headed screw underneath it without hurting anything.I wired the lights through a heavy duty relay to a switch in the car.I have 3 switches on a panel in the dash,one for the upper fogs,one for the lower fogs and the third for the trunk release.They work fine and look pretty good if you don't have the message center switches in your car.
Do the fogs sit inside the grille? Are they recessed into the lower grille? Could I ask you to post a pic up close?

Thanx in advance
Frank
Old 10/16/05, 11:38 AM
GT Member

Part of the lower light is inside the grill and part a little bit out due to trying to aim them straight ahead.The upper lights are not GT fog lights they are 6" driving/fog lights made by Pilot.I take the light out on the housing and make my own housing for them to fit in.
Old 10/16/05, 12:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No offense you you guys, but I definitly wouldn't ever put a hitch on a Mustang.
Old 10/16/05, 01:02 PM
GT Member

Bill, are you selling the switch cluster in that pic?
Old 10/16/05, 01:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Why the extra fogs? isnt it illegal to drive with more than 4 forward facing lights anyways?
Old 10/16/05, 05:16 PM
GT Member

Could be illegal but will never have all of them on and don't take the car out at night anyway.Very rarely take it out during the day either but this is Florida,god only knows what the laws are here
Old 10/17/05, 02:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looks good Bill. Could you please let me know how you wired the fogs. I put the Blazer C120's in and have yet to wire them. Im trying to figure out the best way to do it. I know you had the remote before but Im more interested in the hard wired way.

Thanks !!
Old 10/17/05, 06:33 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by MrWick@October 16, 2005, 3:19 PM
Could be illegal but will never have all of them on and don't take the car out at night anyway.Very rarely take it out during the day either but this is Florida,god only knows what the laws are here

Based on one of Florida's new laws, if you were to take the car out at night, and had all the lights on, and someone got mad at you, based on the new law, they could use a gun to take your life and be justified.. Does this shock you?
Old 10/17/05, 07:10 PM
Cobra Member

It would be shocking if it were true. It isn't.
Old 10/17/05, 07:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by DiamondBlue@October 17, 2005, 9:13 PM
It would be shocking if it were true. It isn't.
Mr spoilsport :P
Old 10/17/05, 09:58 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by korinwoodo@October 17, 2005, 9:16 PM
Mr spoilsport :P
Of course it was obvious it wasn't true, was just trying to avoid a tangent about Florida laws. There's plenty of strange ones. That self defense one isn't quite that bad though.

Quick Reply: New mods to V6