05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Lowering your stang

Search this Thread

Old 11/15/05, 05:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read post and post, but now after you have lowered your car.

Was it worth it?

What type of springs did you use?

Did you have to do other mods to get it to align correctly?

I read one post that if you lower less than 1 inch, you won't have problems, but most kits lower more than that. ie: Steeda, Eibach, etc

Just want some opinions and after thought.

Thanks
Old 11/15/05, 06:09 PM
FR500 Member

I still think the best look is to just lower the rear 3/4" and level out the car. It's also the cehapest. As long as you have a dremel tool and some cut-off wheels lying around, it will cost you nothing. Just cut one full coil off the top of your rear springs to level the car out perfectly. Especially if you are going for the Shelby theme like me. The '67 GT350's bodies were almost a foot off the ground.
Old 11/15/05, 07:21 PM
Bullitt Member

1. Yes - In my opinion, it was worth it.... (Looks Great...
Handles Well...)
2. Installed Steeda Sport Springs (7/8" front / 1 1/8" rear)
3. Installed BMR Panhard Bar to adjust rear end on-center...
4. NO Camber Kit required - Perfect alignment to factory
specs...
Old 11/15/05, 08:35 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes it was ABSOLUTELY worth it! Stock Mustangs look all jacked up to me now.

Steeda rear springs. (front still stock) Lowered the rear 1-1/16".

No alignment front or rear needed. As with most '05's the rear end was off center from the factory, but lowering the rear brought it back to center.

Old 11/17/05, 03:30 AM
Cobra R Member

what is the panhard bar and what does it do?

I am attractive to your idea on just lowering the front.

Thanks
Old 11/17/05, 08:11 AM
Bullitt Member

I had just the rear Steeda sport springs in for a couple months and really liked it. Then I put the fronts in. I will never go back. Looks great. I did not have to do anything except re-set tow.
Old 11/17/05, 09:38 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by traffic142@November 17, 2005, 4:33 AM
what is the panhard bar and what does it do?

I am attractive to your idea on just lowering the front.

Thanks
If you're replying to MY post, I left the front at the stock height and lowered the rear. I hated how the car was jacked up in the back. (if you weren't replying to my post... oops. sorry)
Old 11/17/05, 09:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

I used Steeda front and rear. I am going to get a BMR Panhard Bar cause they are having a sale and my rearend moved slightly left. Only I can tell because I looked for it to happen. I do have to install a camber kit to get the camber back into specs. The tops on my tires are significantly tinted in. When I put the Boyds on the car, it got looks now since it has been lowered it get stared at. As far as the trouble more than worth it. As far as what you may have to do afterward I honestly think no one can really say. These cars are all different and they behave different to mods. I went Steeda because everything I heard/read said no camber issues and no rearend shift. Well I have both albeit a slight rearend shift.

Panhard Bar aligns and holds the rearend from shifting side to side. An adjustable one allows the rearend to be re-centered. I'm sure there are some real gearheads in here that may elaberate on my answer but, that is how I understand it.
Old 11/17/05, 10:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to lower my car, but I decided in the end it wasn't worth it.

To do it right you need to replace your shocks as well as possibly other suspension parts like camber plates etc.

I was willing to pay the expense of having to do it right, but where I live (Los Angeles) has such crappy roads that I realized the cost, plus the fact that our roads suck and my car would take more of a beating if it were lowered... I decided not to.

BUT if I lived where the roads were good... I think I would most likely do the rear with the Steeda springs and new shocks etc.
Old 11/17/05, 11:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

1. Yes - In my opinion, it was worth it.... Car looks alot better and the handling is awesome.
2. Installed H&R Super Sport Springs. Best spring hans down.
3. the shop was able to align the car perfectly with out CC plates.

Old 11/26/05, 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

I cut my rear springs, looks good to me. Looking back on it, you need to do something. I may still pull the trigger and get some actual springs, but this will work for now.

BTW, Surfnsocal, your car is UGLY. Mine is sooooo much better. You should make yours look like mine. Or did I make mine look like yours? Hmmmm....

Sean

[attachmentid=39660]
Old 11/26/05, 09:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by azoufan@November 26, 2005, 11:00 PM
I cut my rear springs, looks good to me. Looking back on it, you need to do something. I may still pull the trigger and get some actual springs, but this will work for now.

BTW, Surfnsocal, your car is UGLY. Mine is sooooo much better. You should make yours look like mine. Or did I make mine look like yours? Hmmmm....

Sean

[attachmentid=39660]
Geez...twins separated at birth
Old 11/26/05, 09:28 PM
FR500 Member

I would think that someone living in Calif or Arizona (desert) would have enough sense not to buy a black car in the first place.

Old 11/26/05, 10:57 PM
FR500 Member

Fools!!!!
Old 11/27/05, 12:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mine will be going down in the spring, finally bought them...
Old 11/27/05, 01:33 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by traffic142@November 15, 2005, 6:51 PM
I have read post and post, but now after you have lowered your car.

Was it worth it?

What type of springs did you use?

Did you have to do other mods to get it to align correctly?

I read one post that if you lower less than 1 inch, you won't have problems, but most kits lower more than that. ie: Steeda, Eibach, etc

Just want some opinions and after thought.

Thanks
Steeda springs all around. Install very easy. Wrote the check. Added BMR LCRs and this car corners like it is glued to the road. Pleased.
Old 11/27/05, 08:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Roush Rear Springs installed, lowered 1'' and made a world of difference in appearance!
Old 11/27/05, 07:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by wild stray@November 26, 2005, 11:00 PM
Fools!!!!
thats not lowered, is it?

I like those wheels
Old 11/27/05, 08:41 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Yes, 100% worth it. Car's stance is much more agressive, just where it should be, however it's not slammed looking. no problems with clearance yet.

Eibach Pro Kit springs.

I purchased Steeda Billet Camber adjusters at the same time as the springs. I didn't want to pay for a spring install only to find that they couldn't align it, THEN have to order them and pay again for full labour costs to install the plates after the fact. Worked perfectly and the car was aligned no problems.

If you are going to install springs, consider shocks too. I totally regret not doing them at the same time - Eibach has shocks made especially for the Pro Kit springs - or there are others like Tokico. Next spring I will be going back to the shop to put some aftermarket shocks on the car.

While many people may feel that shocks aren't needed, if you've ever spent any amount of time in a car with properly tuned suspension, you'll notice right away that just changing the springs won't ride quite right. it's not horrible or anything, but it's noticeable, at least for me. the rebound isn't proper on the OEM shocks for aftermarket springs.

Cheers,
Kristina
Old 11/27/05, 10:17 PM
Bullitt Member

My Eibach Pro-kit did require a different alignment bolt, which was about $20 bucks extra at Les Schwab. The drop is at least 1.5", and probably more like 2". It has been very worthwhile. One advantage of the drop is that it enhances the front fender flairs, giving them the more radical look that I think was the original intent of the body design. My rear wheels are perfectly centered side-to-side, without any adjustments to the Panhard bar. Finally, I have no ground clearance issues.
Absolutely a worthwhile upgrade.

Quick Reply: Lowering your stang