05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Louver replacement for quarter window glass

Search this Thread

Old 12/13/05, 06:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would also be adding these to my 06 GT when I get her out of storage in the spring....thnk thats an apprpriate time frame to get these "ahem" sheetmetal issues worked out marcello?
Old 12/13/05, 09:39 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, I should know better than to get into another thread... next thing you know I'll be building something else!

Anyway, the problem with the sheetmetal is what it forces the part to look like. The one pictured in this thread could probably clear the sheetmetal as it sits. We're trying to make the look a little more agressive without having to cut the car. If you are willing to cut some of the weld seam away, you can make a really nice looking piece, but most people draw the line when you tell them to take a saw to their pony.

Anyway, we are working on it. Next week I hope to get a lot done, as we're just about caught up on honeycomb panel orders, and I'll be able to spend a little time with our suppliers working on the designs a bit more.

As to sealing... shouldn't be an issue. Use the factory urethane seal that they use on the glass, and it should be okay. If we do multiple parts to make a piece, then the sealing might be a bit more of an issue than if we go with a single piece. Time will tell.

As with the honeycomb panel, I might not be first to market, but I'll be happy with what I release, as will our customers, or I won't release it.
Old 12/13/05, 11:35 PM
GT Member

awesome! I definetly think they'd look better a little more agressive...maybe like the louver in this pic..
Old 12/13/05, 11:48 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Exactly what I'd love to make, but that's not feasible - the beauty of photoshop and prototypes, Something close though may be achievable given some tweaks to where we are right now.
Old 12/14/05, 12:12 AM
GT Member

I'm up for a set when they're available!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Add me to the list.
Old 12/14/05, 02:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Marcello, you are a great asset to this forum, and a class act YOu seem to make customer service a priority, which is fantastic. I thank you for taking the time to let us know about this item. I am defintely in for a set, since I started the topic. I just think, a set of these flush mounted would look killer in the car. Thanks again for the info.
Old 12/14/05, 03:43 PM
GT Member

well thats a bummer that we got limitations....but im sure it will look killer anyways and that I'll be buying some!
Old 12/15/05, 07:48 AM
GT Member

Marcello,

I say you should offer two versions (if possible). It would be great if you offered a simple drop-in version for those that are scared to cut their cars and then a more aggressive version that would be a more involved install. It would kind of follow the model of the CDC classic and aggressive chin spoilers where the aggressive spoiler requires a little more work to get installed and the classic version just snaps on. This way you could give the best of both worlds and let the buyer decide what look they want and the risk they want to take on for the install.

Either way, I look forward to checking out whatever it is you develop and I'm sure it will be of the best quality. :worship:

-TRB
Old 12/15/05, 08:21 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Wow guys, I am really not worthy of this! Just another Mustang nut trying to turn his love of the cars into something that can support his family. And I remember all the things I used to buy that fit like crap and didn't work as promised, so I'm trying to avoid that with anything we release.

That said, I'm going to check on our louvers tomorrow and see how they are coming along. I'll let you know approximately where we are at.

Unrelated, fuel doors are done. Anyone who saw the honeycomb panels we make knows where I am with regards to fit and finish, and these are of the same caliber. Fully CNC machined, no press brakes, no stamping, no cheap plates, just the best that can be. I guess I'll have to start another thread, but I want to ok it with Brad first. Definitely need to start advertising here, so I don't feel guilty just hogging bandwidth!

On Edit - Until I get with Brad on a fuel door thread... I posted these in the Honeycomb thread.

Comments welcome as always.
Old 12/16/05, 07:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Those louvers look great. I have worked in an automotive glass shop and that mod is not a DITY job for the average guy.

That urethane seal is some tough stuff. It takes some special tools to cut it out, prep the surface, apply new urethane, and properly install the panel.

That urethane is some messy stuff. Its like oil on water, 1 drop looks like a gallon. Whatever it touchs, its there forever.
Old 12/16/05, 08:54 PM
Legacy Tms Member

You're right, the average guy will go with the stick-on louvers, but I think there are plenty of people who are willing or want the flush look, and will do what it takes to get it.

Personally, I have always been partial to the 69 scoops that were extended out from the body, but that's just me. We'll have some of those out before our vent louvers come out, just because that project is further along.

Now for the funny part... many people wanted to modify their original pony cars to have the smooth look of glass rather than the oem vents. Now we have windows and want vents...

Oh, BTW, I added new pictures of the fuel doors in the honeycomb thread... I think I'm going with the black anodize for our car, it really is something.
Old 12/17/05, 01:11 AM
Bullitt Member

I will check with my cousin, the glass man. Maybe, just maybe those quarter glasses are bolted in, vice urethane. Thats how the Ranger side glass is.

If so, replacement is a snap.
Old 12/18/05, 05:38 PM

I don't see a huge problem really. Windshields are urethaned on and they get replaced all the time at collision repair shops. Granted you won't be installing them yourself but it shouldn't be to pricey to have them installed.

At the worst they would have to remove the interier panels to gain access with the "jigsaw" type tool they use to cut out windshields. Removing the interior panels may also require the rear seat be removed but not sure as I haven't worked on a new Mustang. So to save on the labor you could remove the interior panels and the rear seat yourself, if required.

I went to www.safelite.com and got an online quote for quarter glass install and it was $415.99. That price includes new glass, which we wouldn't need and labor. So deduct the glass price, I'd guess $250+, and the interior removal labor and I'm thinking you could get both sides done for no more than $150. I'd be willing to fork that out for those louvers.

P.S. - Since you'd need to get them painted anyway, most shops either replace glass themselves or contract it out to places like Safelite. If they have the tools to do it themselves you could negotiate a fair price to install them I'm sure. If they contract out they usually get better prices than individuals do.
Old 12/18/05, 06:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Not so easy. Windshields have a molding around them, the quarter glass doesnt. If you stand outside and look at the glass you can see that it will be a very careful job to cut it out without damaging the paint.

Im guessing $200 for the install.

Most windshield replacements are .5-.75 hrs labor, this looks to be about .75 hrs per side.

I worked in a glass shop, We didnt do jobs like this very often, why should we. We made $100-150 per windshield for 1/2 hour labor. A job like this eats @2 hours for the same $100.

Dont get me wrong, I like the louvers and will probley get them myself. I can install them so I will only incur the cost of painting them.

For everyone else, your looking at the cost of the louvers + paint + $200 install. Not a cheap mod.
Old 12/18/05, 07:32 PM

Yeah I did think about the tight space on the quarter glass which is why I was thinking maybe they would cut it out from the inside instead. Either way would be more difficult than a windshield I'm sure.

I was an auto body technician for 5 years and we contracted out for windshields, rear glass and quarter glass thats urethaned like that, thus giving me a unique perspective. If you used a shop that does the same thing we did the glass tech would be visiting quite often for other work and surely welcome $100 tax free, wink:wink.
Old 12/28/05, 10:34 AM
Team Mustang Source

Hey Marcello, do you have the chance to post the sketches of the louvers that your company plans on making? I'm eager to see them.
Old 1/30/06, 10:49 AM
Cobra Member

any news, Marcello?
Old 4/29/06, 06:06 PM
Legacy Tms Member

How's this for reviving an old thread?

You know we've been backed up for a while now with the popularity of our first two products, the honeycomb panel and our fuel doors. Well, we're starting to get a handle on that, so this is getting moved back into the line for work.

We abandoned our first potential supplier of these parts, and due to the success we had with one of our shops, we are going to them for the flush-mount vent windows. I had about a two hour meeting Friday, where we discussed material choice, basic design requirements, and basically flushed out what can and cannot be done given the space constraints we have to work with.

All that said, it was a very productive meeting, and even though I know it's been a while, I said we'd do it, and it looks like we soon will. If this follows the same timeline our honeycomb panel did (which it should), I would expect to see prototypes in July, and production pieces probably in September, since some of the problems that delayed the honeycomb panel after the mold was complete won't be an issue now due to the equipment we invested in to be able to make the honeycomb panel correctly.

Anyway, now is the time to get any other "wishes" in for the design before we finalize prints and start cutting things. Right now we have the following:

It will be non-functional from an airflow standpoint.

There will be visibility through the vents to the rear of the car for the driver - this can optionally be painted to obscure all visibility if desired.

They will be flush mount, requiring removal of the glass.

They will be very detailed and have crisp edges (as crisp as possible given the arcs of the body in that area).

They will meet my normal standards of excellence for fit and finish, or I won't make them.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 4/29/06, 06:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thank you Marcello, for reviving the orginal thread that I started. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] From your description, these things sound FANTASTIC!! I have a question, will you be offering these pre-painted, to match the color of our cars, or will we need to get these sent to a body shop to get color on them? And I know it is WAY early, but I am sure your company has tossed around pricing ideas. Can you shed a sliver of light on what these may cost when they are ready? Thanks again for the info. If these look as cool as they sound, and the price is reasonable, I'd like to be in for one of your earliest sets. Thanks again, and can't wait for you to post some sketches soon. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/29/06, 07:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

totally getting these [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Louver replacement for quarter window glass