05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Input on plasti dipping a whole car plz

Search this Thread

Old 8/12/13, 01:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Input on plasti dipping a whole car plz

I am really getting sick of this black paint. The body shop buffed my car after repairing it ( no idea why ) and the guy obviously ****ed it up. Full of swirls and scratches. Took it back, still not right. Now I'm thinking about just plasti dipping the whole **** car. How durable is this stuff? I'm seriously considering it. Help me out guys. Thanks
Old 8/12/13, 01:28 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
don't do it.
Old 8/12/13, 01:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Flagstang
don't do it.
Please elaborate
Old 8/12/13, 02:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My take on it, I personally would not do it for the fact that its not a permanent thing such as paint/clear coat, don't know why but I don't like having things not permanent.
As for looks , when its done right it can look great, seen a charger plastidiped in black, looked really good.
Can't go further then this as I don't have any personal experience with plastidip.
+rep for TF2 fan
Old 8/12/13, 07:12 PM
Banned

I've heard guys say that when it's done right it's very durable. I have a lot of research to do before I pull the trigger anyway. I have many questions that need answers
Old 8/13/13, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DONT DO IT. I have a 2014 mustang that I tried plasti dipping the whole thing neon orange. Looked awesome when I first finished but then when I went to peel off the other parts that would be not plasti dipped (window edges, mirrors, headlights, grill, hood vents) it didn't peel off right AT ALL. It peels off whole other sheets of the car and messed everything up. Had to take it all off and many parts still remain and it looks awful now. I did everything completely correct and put at least 7 coats on. I wasted over $400 and wish I never did it. My advice is to take it to a professional detailer and have them buff out all the swirls and scratches. PLEASE take my advice and avoid what happened to me. Thx
Old 8/17/13, 09:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. TK Williams
DONT DO IT. I have a 2014 mustang that I tried plasti dipping the whole thing neon orange. Looked awesome when I first finished but then when I went to peel off the other parts that would be not plasti dipped (window edges, mirrors, headlights, grill, hood vents) it didn't peel off right AT ALL. It peels off whole other sheets of the car ... etc ... Thx
Did you use a razor to first cut along the edges where you wanted to peel?

I would never have thought to Plastidip a whole car before reading this .../... thought "NO WAY" when I read the thread title .../... but then I once never thought I'ld ever see a whole PU covered in Line-X Bedliner .../... but I've seen quite a few now and some looked great for PUs.

As a child back in the '60s I was on the farm one summer as grandma and grandpa repainted the John Deere MT and applied new decals, they brushed the paint on, and it surprised me then as a child how well it turned out, it was like I painted some model cars when I didn't have spray paint and was in a hurry, they thinned and brushed and looked OK. I thought about it over the years since and it wasn't until a few years ago I saw a Jeep that a buddy started painting a few years back. For several years he just cleaned it really good in the spring and then added another coat of black and it looked good for a Jeep! I've almost set my mind to do my '77 F-150 with brush.

But Plastidip? I'll have to think about that ..... maybe that's for my '77 F-150 (not Mustang).

Last edited by tbear853; 8/17/13 at 09:35 AM.
Old 8/17/13, 10:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not for or against it. I know nothing about the stuff past paint and peel. BUT, literally a quick google search shows thousands of fully dipped cars that don't look bad at all. Check it out
Old 8/17/13, 10:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. TK Williams
DONT DO IT. I have a 2014 mustang that I tried plasti dipping the whole thing neon orange. Looked awesome when I first finished but then when I went to peel off the other parts that would be not plasti dipped (window edges, mirrors, headlights, grill, hood vents) it didn't peel off right AT ALL. It peels off whole other sheets of the car and messed everything up. Had to take it all off and many parts still remain and it looks awful now. I did everything completely correct and put at least 7 coats on. I wasted over $400 and wish I never did it. My advice is to take it to a professional detailer and have them buff out all the swirls and scratches. PLEASE take my advice and avoid what happened to me. Thx
You obviously did it wrong. It is incredibly easy to work with and comes off great. I've used it on wheels, emblems, and platidipped the entire car once on a ZL1 last year.

IF you do get any dings or tears they make a solvent to smooth it over and then you can always spray over that spot again.

Last edited by typesredline; 8/18/13 at 10:23 AM.
Old 8/17/13, 10:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Go for it. If you don't like it, you can always go back. It's quite durable and since your car is black I doubt you'll even notice rock chips.
Old 8/17/13, 12:44 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check out dipyourcar.com. Fonzi is really great at walkin ya through the process of proper dippin. Plus they have alot of sponsored locations so there might be one near you. If its somethin like the whole car id recommend a professional shop. DIY is doable but you run a higher risk of screwin up
Old 8/17/13, 12:49 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Just correct the paint and be proactive in paint care. Nothing lasts forever in
This world.
Old 8/18/13, 10:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Hadtohaveit'13
I'm not for or against it. I know nothing about the stuff past paint and peel. BUT, literally a quick google search shows thousands of fully dipped cars that don't look bad at all. Check it out

Oh yeah .... I looked afterwards last night ...... never thought seriously about it before. Looks like another option for the '77?
Old 8/18/13, 11:07 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have seen several GTO, GTRs, chargers and camaros done at this shop I link below, if you do the plastic dip right it peels of perfect. Art is in tapping and applying layers as dipyourcar techs say...not a fan, also maintaining this is challenging as well. Just FYI. Price of whole car plastic dipincluding paint corrections is 700.

https://www.facebook.com/EddieZ999