05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Idiot's Guide to Vinyl Stripe Buying

Search this Thread

Old 2/8/06, 03:46 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After my disaster I thought I'd post another "Idiot's Guide" ( my other one is on how to install a FRD04 AUX IPod adaptor - Idiot's Guide to FRD04 AUX adaptor. This one is to help people like me not to get their baby cut up like I did when I had stripes installed. It's not intended for people who already know what to do, just for folks like me who didn't know there's much to consider!
Idiot's Guide to Vinyl Stripe Buying

I hope it's helpful!!

Joe
Old 2/8/06, 04:30 PM
Bullitt Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] Great info here [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] I'm sure alot of people might find this helpfull. Hope everything works out in the end with your car.
Old 2/8/06, 07:25 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Great page, Joe. Thanks.

Yes, there are plenty of people out there as apicky as you are. Me. For example.
The close up pics scared me a little, but in a good way. Sometimes I'm so picky I don't demand a PERFECT job because I don't want to annoy the other person... as I usually do. Your page re-emphasizes I HAVE to do that if I want the quality that's up to MY standards.
Old 2/8/06, 10:08 PM
V6 Member

Thank YOU for the comment. It was a lot of work and seeing that people like it is a shot in the arm.

As far as being picky, I have a tough time with this one. When I saw aftermarket Stangs like the Saleens with "less than perfect" vinyl I started to wonder. I know I can annoy people too when I get really picky, but for $700 it seemed like I should have had a great job. STill, it seems like there's a point where no matter how you try/press/force the issue it doesn't get any better. I just needed some idea what as TOO picky. In my case, obviously I was not picky enough, but in my defense it was not until AFTER it was all done that I saw with HORRIFIED eyes what had happened.
Thanks again for the kind words.

Joe

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StangNut @ February 8, 2006, 6:28 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Great page, Joe. Thanks.

Yes, there are plenty of people out there as apicky as you are. Me. For example.
The close up pics scared me a little, but in a good way. Sometimes I'm so picky I don't demand a PERFECT job because I don't want to annoy the other person... as I usually do. Your page re-emphasizes I HAVE to do that if I want the quality that's up to MY standards.
[/b][/quote]
Old 2/8/06, 10:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you just sold me on painted stripes....
Old 2/9/06, 08:49 AM
Bullitt Member

I like vinyl because its not permanent, get tired of the look, change it.

Ford put some big hood decals on 85GTs.

Vinyl will only streatch so far. So there are limitations.

Paint of course costs more, but looks great,

I want stripes, but cant decide.
Old 2/9/06, 09:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

And when you get your stripes painted, how about an idiots guide to painted stripes.....I'm saving up now!!!!
Old 2/9/06, 09:20 AM
V6 Member

I'm not trying to be a pain, but I keep seeing people saying that one of the nice things about Vinyl is that "if you don't like the color or the way it looks, you can change it." While that's basically true (definitely if they haven't been on very long), every place I went to to get an estimate for doing this gave me the look like, "oh no, not one of those..." No one liked to do it, most had removed them before and hated it, a NUMBER wanted me to understand that there was a good chance that some paint WOULD come off too, that the paint underneath was in many cases pretty different, and in every quote it was hundreds of dollars to do it. I went to a dozen or so places and not one single place wanted me to go away with the impression that I would in the end have a nice clean car that looked nearly new, ready for a re-application of stripes. I got these estimates not from a small town but in the Sacramento area (million + people - lots of places!)
In any case, there's no way it's as simple as changing the tires and rims on your car for a new look!
I'm sure there are people here that have done it successfully, but with the way my luck runs there is NO WAY I'd consider it a "if I don't like it, I'll change it" kind of thing...
Just my opinion.
Joe
Old 2/9/06, 09:37 AM
V6 Member

Great idea,
That will be the next one!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Joe

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nole_trainer @ February 9, 2006, 8:06 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
And when you get your stripes painted, how about an idiots guide to painted stripes.....I'm saving up now!!!!
[/b][/quote]
Old 2/9/06, 09:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I was firmly planted on the ground about installing vinyl stripes. But now, after seeing what can go wrong and the fact that only a couple graphic installation shops would reply to my inquiries, I'm back on the fence.

One shop in particular, I thought was the winner. They have done SEMA vehicles, car shows, Ford Dealers, and even done jobs for 3D Carbon. But, I found out that they only offer stripes in 9" width with a 2 1/2" spacing... not the dimensions I had in mind.

So for now, I may put this project on the back burner and just Zaino the heck out of it when she comes in at the end of the month.
Old 2/9/06, 11:21 AM
V6 Member

Not to muddy the waters but I've gotten replies from people that have had similar experiences as I have. At least I'm not alone!
I for one would NEVER get them done again without seeing WITH MY OWN EYES what kind of work they do when finished.
I would only do the 10" x 1.5" too...
Joe
Old 2/9/06, 04:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice write up Joe. I think I would have had trouble being as professional and polite as you were...

Mike E
Old 2/9/06, 09:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm still thinking about getting stripes, but for now I'm just going to start with the sides, then if I like that look I can decide on paint or vinyl for the rest of the car, if I even want the rest of the car striped.