05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

I am starting to install my stripes.

Search this Thread

Old 4/19/06, 07:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow I'm checkin out this site...didn't know going the vinyl route would be this cheap.. for some reason I thought it was more expensive. Can anyone vouch for BSM quality? Any idea on an installation cost for vinyl stripes? (I don't trust myself) Thanks again.
Old 4/19/06, 11:13 AM
Cobra R Member

great job, that is one job I let someone else do.
Old 4/19/06, 06:11 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eromzek @ April 19, 2006, 8:21 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Wow I'm checkin out this site...didn't know going the vinyl route would be this cheap.. for some reason I thought it was more expensive. Can anyone vouch for BSM quality? Any idea on an installation cost for vinyl stripes? (I don't trust myself) Thanks again.
[/b][/quote]

The quality very good! If you decide to go with BSM, just take your time and you can do it your self with out to much difficulty... plus Rob from BSM is great to deal with, I have called him for installations tips also. When I am finished I can also provide a summery my installation and what seem to work well for me. Plus more pics [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] …

-Adam
Old 4/20/06, 06:59 AM
Bullitt Member

That would be great...thanks Adam
Old 4/20/06, 07:37 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eromzek @ April 19, 2006, 9:21 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

It was very expensive when the Mustang first hit the streets in 2004. You couldn't buy precut kits so people like me had to install from flat stock, which is a very difficult job so labour prices were pretty high.
Old 4/20/06, 07:15 PM
GT Member

A few more pics. I will have better ones when I get the car outside..

Notice that I painted the washer nozzles [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/24/06, 07:36 PM
GT Member

Few more pics.. I am done however I am going to redo the right front bumper stripe. It has some creases at the very bottom edge. That’s the side I started first, I started from the top and worked my way down. I found that if you start at the bumper top get it fixed in place and let it dry then get the bottom fixed in place and heat the center portion with a heat gun and carefully mold the vinyl in and around the bumper is seems to work better, that is what I did for the left side.

No matter what – the bumper is indeed the hardest part of this install [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
Old 4/24/06, 11:34 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vallee @ April 24, 2006, 6:39 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Few more pics.. I am done however I am going to redo the right front bumper stripe. It has some creases at the very bottom edge. That’s the side I started first, I started from the top and worked my way down. I found that if you start at the bumper top get it fixed in place and let it dry then get the bottom fixed in place and heat the center portion with a heat gun and carefully mold the vinyl in and around the bumper is seems to work better, that is what I did for the left side.

No matter what – the bumper is indeed the hardest part of this install [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
Looks great! I just got my kit from BSM and you've almost inspired me to take a crack at it myself [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Still kinda nervous about screwing it up, though. Is this the first time you've attempted this?
Old 4/25/06, 06:00 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep - that front bumper is a killer. I spent more time on that than any other part of the car.

Please post some more pics when you can. Your car looks great!
Old 4/25/06, 06:25 AM
GT Member

Did he have to make special pieces for the front spoiler?
I have Rob's kit on my car and just ordered a CDC classic spoiler. What did you use to stripe the spoler?
I have some material still left over.
Old 4/25/06, 06:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Post some pics of it outside your garage in the sun....that looks really good man, good job
Old 4/26/06, 04:20 AM
GT Member

Thanks Guys!

Rob, Yes this is the first time ever doing this, although I did apply decals on my snowmobile’s hood once. With this BSM kit, If you screw it up you can get replacements. Rob at BSM is great to work with. At some point, I am going to redo one side of my front bumper, so I am will need to get more material.

Chris, when doing your front bumper, what worked best for you?

Bill, the kit comes with material for both front bumper styles, so I used the leftover from the bumper style that I did not use, worked great [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] !

I will get more pics when I get her out side!

-Adam
Old 4/26/06, 09:40 AM
GT Member

How hard was it to align the stripes around the rear license plate area and fake gas cap? Were the precut pieces fairly accurate? I'm thinking of ordering from BSM soon......
Old 4/26/06, 12:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used a hair dryer - on the medium setting.

And it took 3 tries to get it to look right. A lot of work, but worth it. I could do another car much faster now that I know what to do.

As for the rear, the kit I got from BSM was cut very well. No gaps around the GT cap.
Old 4/26/06, 06:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Your car looks great- get more pix!

Also, thanks for making me unsure of what color to do...........white, silver, charcoal metallic.....I DON'T KNOW!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

Great job,

Tom
Old 4/27/06, 04:21 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(parrotheadGT @ April 26, 2006, 10:43 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
How hard was it to align the stripes around the rear license plate area and fake gas cap? Were the precut pieces fairly accurate? I'm thinking of ordering from BSM soon......
[/b][/quote]

The cut was very accurate [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

I will get more pics this weekend...

-Adam
Old 4/27/06, 03:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Really starting to think about vinyls now.

Wonder how the satin silver vinyls look.

Need to get a ducktail on there first, though...
Old 5/1/06, 06:54 PM
GT Member

As promised, Pics of the car outside.

more...
Old 5/1/06, 07:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Lookin' good..........

Question about the BSM kit- do you remove the grille to get the vinyl actually under the grille or does the vinyl just line up to the front of the grille? I can't really tell from the pictures.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 5/1/06, 10:39 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: I am starting to install my stripes.