05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

I am starting to install my stripes.

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/06, 03:32 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally settled on the stripe combo and starting the installation [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] I am using the BSM 10” white rally stripe kit. I am taking it slow as this is my first time and I want to be sure that they come out nice and centered and close to perfect as possible. Will post more pics as I go along.
Old 4/14/06, 04:01 PM

I also have the BSM kit. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Please keep us posted on your progress.
I'll be doing mine soon !
Old 4/14/06, 04:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Did you order extra material to cover your CDC chin spoiler?? I'm considering a BSM kit too and have the same CDC piece.
Old 4/14/06, 05:51 PM

I emailed BSM about the CDC chin spoiler "I have one too"
They told me to use the extra material from the front bumper. They send two sets for the front bumper 1 with license plate cut out and 1 without cut out. They said the extra will cover the CDC spoiler.
I have a GEF Legend rear wing and they had me send them $19.00 for 2 16 inch long pieces for that.
Old 4/14/06, 06:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cooolcobra @ April 14, 2006, 7:54 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I emailed BSM about the CDC chin spoiler "I have one too"
They told me to use the extra material from the front bumper. They send two sets for the front bumper 1 with license plate cut out and 1 without cut out. They said the extra will cover the CDC spoiler.
I have a GEF Legend rear wing and they had me send them $19.00 for 2 16 inch long pieces for that.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks alot for the info. Good luck on the install! Be sure to post some pix!!!

Thanks.
Old 4/14/06, 08:53 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
You are one BRAVE man! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

Looking forward to the "in progress" and "completed" pics. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/14/06, 09:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

What did you use to mark the center?
Old 4/15/06, 02:25 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the replays… As for marking the center of the car, I used a string, and then I used 3" leangths of 1.5” blue painters tape at the center of the string to locate and guide the gap of stripes from as indicated in the BSM instructions. One thing though is the bumper portion of the decal was to short, I have to contact BSM, perhaps they sent me the kit for the v6 witch has a shorter bumper [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] ? I was able to get the roof and hood complete today. I tried the front bumper but like i sed, I found that the martial seems short so I stopped. I can tell that the bumper is going to be quite hard to do flawlessly, i guess a heat gun and a tun of patience ...

I’ll post pics soon…
Old 4/15/06, 04:40 PM

What size gap are you doing?
Old 4/15/06, 05:58 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StangNut @ April 15, 2006, 5:43 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
What size gap are you doing?
[/b][/quote]

2" x 10" wide
Old 4/15/06, 06:21 PM
GT Member

Pics of todays progress.
Old 4/15/06, 07:22 PM

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] Looks Great !!!

Any problems other than bumper material ??
Keep the pics and info coming !
Old 4/15/06, 08:44 PM

WOW! Looks great. That's my second favorite color combo on the '05... behind white w/ blue. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 4/16/06, 06:07 PM
GT Member

Here are a couple of more pics of the rear section. I can’t do the spoiler or the rear bumper because the material has some blemish flaws on them, kind of like shinny streaks, perhaps that was the end of the roll [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] ? I am going to contact BSM tomorrow and explain that hopefully I can return thows pieces and get a replacement. The rear trunk section comes in three separate pieces and they overlap each other from about 1/8 to 3/8”, not to bad to install although I did have some trouble getting the corner ends to line up with the when overlapping them, one area required some minor trimming. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img] .
Old 4/16/06, 10:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

You wont even need to send them back. BSM is great all around. My mom walked by my back end when the stripes were drying, and i messed up the fronts myself. The sent me out new pieces for free and they were here two days later. Thay're awesome. I do have a question though. How did you get the fronts to lay down. I was having a lot of trouble with them.
Old 4/17/06, 11:35 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Isn't installing stripes fun [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] As for the shiny spots on the vinyl, does it look like a line that reproduces itself every 4-6 inches? If it does, you got the end of the roll. Now you I don't think you mentioned it in this topic, but did you remember to remove the wax from the car before installing the stripes?
Old 4/18/06, 05:48 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adrenalin @ April 17, 2006, 12:38 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Isn't installing stripes fun [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] As for the shiny spots on the vinyl, does it look like a line that reproduces itself every 4-6 inches? If it does, you got the end of the roll. Now you I don't think you mentioned it in this topic, but did you remember to remove the wax from the car before installing the stripes?
[/b][/quote]

I talked to Rob at BSM, he is great! They are replacing the front bumper material at no cost to me. As far as the shinny spots (streaks), yes is does it look like a line that reproduces itself every 4-6 inches, Rob says it may have been near the end of the roll.. He also says the streaks it should fade in time, if not they will replace it. I will post more pics soon…

-Adam

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stoic21 @ April 16, 2006, 11:05 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
You wont even need to send them back. BSM is great all around. My mom walked by my back end when the stripes were drying, and i messed up the fronts myself. The sent me out new pieces for free and they were here two days later. Thay're awesome. I do have a question though. How did you get the fronts to lay down. I was having a lot of trouble with them.
[/b][/quote]

The fronts are very tricky I tried with the short material. I would suggest to get the top in place with solution leave the rest loose and then let it dry. After the top has dried use a heat gun to carefully heat the material, slowly work it in place from top to bottom…
Or I suppose you can get the top and bottom in place and work the center section after…

Any other suggestions are welcome…
Old 4/19/06, 05:45 AM
Bullitt Member

does BSM have a website?
Old 4/19/06, 06:51 AM

Here ya go [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

BSM
Old 4/19/06, 07:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Bill!

Quick Reply: I am starting to install my stripes.