05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

how much is a fair cost? installation and paint for Shelby clone

Search this Thread

Old 11/6/06, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much is a fair cost? installation and paint for Shelby clone

Hi,
I'm joining the clone crowd and adding a GT500 hood and front end to my 2005GT. I'm over in Paris France, and I think I'm getting a bit of a run around ...not to get into the details...anyone have any idea of how many hours of labor are involved to install the front end and hood only. I've got an estimate from a really good shop (but a very high end one), for 15 hours work +paint...2100 dollars. The paint seems fair, but fifteen hours seems like a bit more than necassary.
PS, I got the parts in the states.
Old 11/6/06, 10:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by johney5
Hi,
I'm joining the clone crowd and adding a GT500 hood and front end to my 2005GT. I'm over in Paris France, and I think I'm getting a bit of a run around ...not to get into the details...anyone have any idea of how many hours of labor are involved to install the front end and hood only. I've got an estimate from a really good shop (but a very high end one), for 15 hours work +paint...2100 dollars. The paint seems fair, but fifteen hours seems like a bit more than necassary.
Are they going to add stripes? If so, I would think that would be very fair. IMO. And lucky you, poseur is French.
Old 11/6/06, 05:29 PM
Cobra Member

There's someone here that lives in Dubai, I think the whole thing costed about $7,500...
Old 11/6/06, 08:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by johney5
Hi,
Salut.

Ouah un parigot avec une stang ! Comment j'aurai peur avec ma mustang a paris.
Old 11/7/06, 12:04 AM

c'est les autres qui d'everais avoir peur!
Old 11/7/06, 12:06 AM

thanks for your help...I'm not painting stripes...and the guy in Dubai did some body work with those side scoops I'm not doing.
So my question is just a fair cost for paint and installation of the front end and hood?
Old 11/7/06, 12:55 AM
V6 Member

I think thats a bit much without stripes. Go shop around for a cheaper price.
Old 11/7/06, 10:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I paid $1200 for the installation and painting of those particular parts. I also had stripes painted and a new spoiler painted and installed. My total bill was much higher than $1200, but that was the price for the parts you inquired about.
Old 11/7/06, 11:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Quote I got .....

Been shopping for a while now, and I found a shop down here in SFLA that will do it for $ 975.00. No stripes, paint for front fascia, hood, rear bumper and rear spoiler. Thats if all the paint matches from the hood to fenders - blending in will be another $200.00

Its the best price I've found here so far - still looking. My commission check won't be here for another week - so I'll look around some more.

Keep you SFLA guys / gals updated !!!

Still have not decide on wheels - CS67's 18x9.5, Mustang Tuning Replica GT500 wheels 18x9.5 or Replica Ford GT wheels.
Old 11/7/06, 05:51 PM
V6 Member

If it was my car, I am not so sure I would want the job to go to the lowest bidder. Do you want good work or cheap work?

The reputation of the shop and the quality of the work would seem more important. What is the priority?

Maaco will paint a car for $300.00. There are shops that wouldn't paint a car for less than $3000.00 (sometimes more). Which would you rather have doing your work?
Old 11/8/06, 08:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I was just thinking that Charlie. I have a hood in my garage now, about to order a fascia (not going clone) and the one thing that scares me is finding a great price and having them spray it with Krylon cans (Ok, I'm joking LOL).

After seeing my hood when it came in I knew it was going to need a bit of TLC as most after market hoods usually do. I have the number of the place Steeda uses for all their hoods and such that get put on brand new cars and sent to dealers but I expect them to be a bit more since they are a high end shop.
Old 11/8/06, 09:21 AM

All good points. I've found a second shop now, and they are willing to do it for 1000euros (because of the difference of the dollar and the euro these days thats like 1250).

The guys in the new shop are much younger and more eager. The other shop was filled with ferraris and ground up restore show cars. But the young guys had a black porsche caymen in that they had just painted because it had been keyed, and it looked pretty clean. As a mustang is not a common car here they immediately opened up the door and got the Windveil blue paint code. And they told me that there were 4 different references for Windveil blue, and that they would paint four color plates to compare before painting. I thought that seemed professional enough to me. The thing is the expensive shop made me feel like I was a cheap bastard when I told them their estimate seemed a bit high...

So what do you guys think???? I feel like giving the younger guys a try. They were pretty reassuring that they would do a good job. To be honest I'm more worried about them installing the parts...or is that easy?

DOES ANYONE know why there are 4 different Windveil references?
Old 11/8/06, 05:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Lowest bidder .....

Originally Posted by ponyent
If it was my car, I am not so sure I would want the job to go to the lowest bidder. Do you want good work or cheap work?

The reputation of the shop and the quality of the work would seem more important. What is the priority?

Maaco will paint a car for $300.00. There are shops that wouldn't paint a car for less than $3000.00 (sometimes more). Which would you rather have doing your work?
Its a Ford Dealership and they do quality work. The price break comes in because am doing all of the labor portion of this conversion. They are just painting the parts. Besides what do you think NASA does with the Space Shuttle - the very same thing. Just because your getting a low bid does not mean your getting low quality. I've known plenty of body shops that have charged an arm & a leg and the quality of their work is just terrible. On the other hand I've known a few friends that have taken their cars to a lesser known shop and have saved money and have gotten quality work done.

I'll post my pics as soon as mine is done and you can be the judge then.
Old 11/9/06, 05:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Be carrefull with shop full of porshe, mercedes, etc... two years ago i was seeking for a body shop for my car. Found one like this. i was impressed. Saying "ok if they work on ferrari they are surely good". When i pick up my car the paint was good. but the body kit was poorly adjusted, my vinyl stipes were not even straight. etc... with all their previous car they were never used to put body kit on car, it was their first time. nobody put a kit on a ferrari or a mercedes. Next time i choose a bodyshoop i will found one who make civic and all those tuning car lol.
Old 11/16/06, 10:27 AM

Ok, conversion done. The install and paint cost 1200$. I had the young guys do it, and it rocks! They were quick and serious, and really impressed me with zero attitude.

Windveil Blue 2005GT imported to France from NY.
Mods. Borla exhaust, Tokico shocks, Brent Speed tune with a C and A cai. Steeda brace. GT500 front end, GT500 Hood, GT500 spoiler. Was lowered with Eibach pro, but I raised it back up again..too much trouble bottoming out.
Old 11/16/06, 12:38 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rony1976
There's someone here that lives in Dubai, I think the whole thing costed about $7,500...
that'd be me
well, apart from the fact that it took 3 weeks to finish (i'm a perfectionist)
installation and stripes painting cost me $3200 USD.
it may seem a bit much at first, but i did have custom side scoops molded into the body by fiberglass
the Shelby CS6 hood also took lots of work to even it out, and mold the edges, etc.

good luck!