05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

How I Deleted my Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 2/10/07, 10:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by RUgoinUp?
I used several layers of duct tape under the holes, then cut small circles of the red Scotch Decorate/repair tape.

Your kidding right?
Old 2/10/07, 10:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's you're, BTW.
Old 2/10/07, 11:06 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
Mark,

Do you still have the '96 and if so how has it held up? Also what did you use to plug the holes?

Vermillion98 posted pics of his and he used some plastic plugs from Home Depot. I'd really like to see close-ups if anyone has done this and can post any pics.

Thanks,
Kelly
Yep, it's my daily driver. I used black plastic hole fillers. They actually fit the holes perfectly. I used touch up paint on them, but should have put a few more layers on them as much of it has since come off (the other side is missing more paint). It actually looked good in the original black plastic color. The big one is about the size of a quarter and the small plug is the size of a dime.
Keep in mind that they are now 5 years old. Looked much better when I first did it.
Attached Thumbnails How I Deleted my Spoiler-holes-plugs.jpg  
Old 2/10/07, 11:17 PM
Bullitt Member

I deleted mine to and used the hole plugs from lowes. I painted them tungsten, I will see if I have any pics to post for you guys. I recently had to buy new ones as the edges of the original hole plugs have peeled and are showing throught the paint.
Old 2/11/07, 08:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AFBLUE
Yep, it's my daily driver. I used black plastic hole fillers. They actually fit the holes perfectly. I used touch up paint on them, but should have put a few more layers on them as much of it has since come off (the other side is missing more paint). It actually looked good in the original black plastic color. The big one is about the size of a quarter and the small plug is the size of a dime.
Keep in mind that they are now 5 years old. Looked much better when I first did it.
That's awesome, I really thnk I can live with that! As soon as it warms up I'm doing it!

These may sound like a stupid questions but:
  1. Did you paint the plugs before installing?
  2. Did you use anything to seal around the edges and if so is it on the exterior or underside of the decklid?
  3. Do these plugs attach or just lay in the hole? In other words are they more like plastic bolts with nuts on the underside?
Thanks again!

Originally Posted by hatchttu
I deleted mine to and used the hole plugs from lowes. I painted them tungsten, I will see if I have any pics to post for you guys. I recently had to buy new ones as the edges of the original hole plugs have peeled and are showing throught the paint.
Did you use a spray or a pen type paint appllicator? Definately post pics if you have 'em.

Also are the holes on the '05-'07s different sizes?

Thanks.
Old 2/11/07, 08:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Personally, I don't think it's a Mustang without the spoiler. But that's just me.
I'm just the opposite, I say they started without spoilers and that's the way they should stay!

Now of course there are exceptions to this IMHO:

BOSS and MACH type Mustangs need the wings and they do look better for having them. I also like subtle ducktail spoilers but on these S197s I prefer no spoiler at all.

Also here are my reasons for not liking the spoiler:
  1. Stock spoiler looks like a shopping cart handle! Looks tacked on!
  2. Obstructs rearward view.
  3. Makes the already too tall back-end look even taller!
Old 2/11/07, 09:56 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
That's awesome, I really thnk I can live with that! As soon as it warms up I'm doing it!

These may sound like a stupid questions but:
  1. Did you paint the plugs before installing?
  2. Did you use anything to seal around the edges and if so is it on the exterior or underside of the decklid?
  3. Do these plugs attach or just lay in the hole? In other words are they more like plastic bolts with nuts on the underside?
Thanks again!

Did you use a spray or a pen type paint appllicator? Definately post pics if you have 'em. I used a applicator. with a small brush like you would see with a fingernail polish applicator.

Also are the holes on the '05-'07s different sizes?

Thanks.
Yes. I painted plugs prior to installation.
Yes. I used superglue on the bottom of the plugs. You may want to get other opininions on this. There is probably a smarter/better way.
The ones I got had circular gill-like flaps around the shaft of the plug. The attached picture looks nothing like my hole plugs, but image the shaft of the plug having the look of the ones on the right. Hope that makes sense.

Even without the superglue, they wouldn't just fall out. You would need to really pull on them

I have no idea how the 05+ holes compare to the 96 holes.
Old 2/12/07, 04:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow, I really like this method of deleting the spoiler. I have the painted plastic plugs and they look good, but the very flat tape is much less obvious. Good work!
Old 2/12/07, 04:50 AM
Bullitt Member

the 05+ holes have 2 different sizes. the plugs are 3/8 inch hole plugs (they are white to begin with). 2 holes are perfect and 2 have to be enlarged. I recommend using a dremmel to enlarge them. I will post pics this evening of the plugs I am using. I used the pen type with the brush from ford and a can of clearcoat that is used on wheels. They dont require any glue as they are designed to "clip" in. (it is evident how they clip by seeing them).
Old 2/12/07, 06:20 AM
Cobra R Member

Looks good man, i however deleted my spoiler by checking the box on the order sheet. lol

car looks soo much nicer IMO
Old 2/12/07, 08:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LimeGT
Wow, I really like this method of deleting the spoiler. I have the painted plastic plugs and they look good, but the very flat tape is much less obvious. Good work!
Thanks. They do look inconspicuous, however, they will sink-in a tad if you press down on the tape. If I don't put a different spoiler on soon, I will fill the holes with some sort of hardener to level them out.

Cheese, I bought the car off the lot for a great price that I would not have received had I ordered it.
Old 2/12/07, 09:08 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by RUgoinUp?
Thanks. They do look inconspicuous, however, they will sink-in a tad if you press down on the tape. If I don't put a different spoiler on soon, I will fill the holes with some sort of hardener to level them out.

Cheese, I bought the car off the lot for a great price that I would not have received had I ordered it.
i kinda figured that... didnt mean to sound like mine was better or anything, if i had bought one off the lot i probably would have gone through and bought a second boot lid, but luckily i had x-plan and time to wait.

my appologies. like i said, the deletion looks great man, good work, way to get your looking the way it should.
Old 2/12/07, 09:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cheese302
i kinda figured that... didnt mean to sound like mine was better or anything, if i had bought one off the lot i probably would have gone through and bought a second boot lid, but luckily i had x-plan and time to wait.

my appologies. like i said, the deletion looks great man, good work, way to get your looking the way it should.
Thanks. And no need to apologize.

I tried to trade deck lids with V6 owners but no one was willing. The cost to repair the holes + repaint...or to replace the deck lid is quite high so I did this as a short term solution, plus I like doing little projects like this.
Old 2/12/07, 12:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LimeGT
Hey Phil - I know a reputable shop in PC that can cover those holes and paint if you're interested - PM me
Old 2/12/07, 01:46 PM
GT Member

I really like the spoiler delete look and was wondering, for those of you that had the holes welded up and trunk repainted, did the body shop have to "blend/repaint" the quarters to match?

Thanks
Old 2/12/07, 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
You used microsoft paint to touch if the images of your car............come on.....who you trying to kid.....I blew the pictures up in paint and I could tell where you used the color duplicator.......
Old 2/12/07, 02:22 PM
Bullitt Member

You're right. I used Microsoft Paint...to reduce the image sizes, and nothing else. Why you would try to call me out instead of asking me I do not know.

BTW, did I touch up the roll of tape also?
Old 2/12/07, 03:14 PM
Bullitt Member

For the record, here's one that has not been resized:

http://gallery.srtforums.com/photopo...delete_030.jpg

I happily post plenty more upon request.
Old 2/12/07, 05:58 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
****! you are handy with the stang! Now if I could just get some free time to have you help me with my cam covers
Old 2/12/07, 08:39 PM
Bullitt Member

I'd be glad to lend a hand, Chuck. However, I am confident that you could DIY with a forum How-To and some pics. That's how I got started wrenching on cars 4 years ago.

Off-topic, my 100th post. Cool!

Quick Reply: How I Deleted my Spoiler