05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Hood Pins!

Search this Thread

Old 6/30/05 | 01:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by rrobello@June 30, 2005, 1:20 AM
ok first Im digging the looks, but double sided tape? so theyre just for looks? why would anyone put something on their car that isnt functional? do they make any that actually lock the hood down like they are suppose to?

so...your hood would still fly off if the latch broke....these are for looks?
Old 6/30/05 | 01:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by TN615@June 29, 2005, 9:19 PM
Can anyone guess what I am about to do next?
Not on your dinner break
jeff
Old 6/30/05 | 06:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Are the springs real?
Old 6/30/05 | 06:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by Rich@June 30, 2005, 5:12 PM
Are the springs real?

oh I am starting to feel bad for the guy. But its like the member (I think she had a yellow one) that put a cobra badge on her 05 V6. :nono:

sorry...but this is th definition of Rice....putting aftermarket junk on your car that is for looks.

how about a fake XM radio antenna (the shark fins)?
Old 6/30/05 | 06:18 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by SurfnSoCal@June 30, 2005, 7:17 PM

oh I am starting to feel bad for the guy. But its like the member (I think she had a yellow one) that put a cobra badge on her 05 V6. :nono:
sorry...but this is th definition of Rice....putting aftermarket junk on your car that is for looks.

how about a fake XM radio antenna (the shark fins)?
Yes.....God forbid someone but non-functional after market body parts on their car to make it not look stock.

(although I HATE it when people put put fake badges on)
Old 6/30/05 | 08:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

There are quite a few pathetic individuals here…
That’s just the way they are…
It comes from poor upbringing…
So don’t feel bad….
Don’t forget these are the same people that have been drooling over show vehicles where many of the components on them are for show.
Ya… Ducktails really work… Large heavy wheels make your car fast…. Painted stripes are better than Vinyl stripes… Pony center caps didn’t even come on wheels this year… So who’s the poser?.... Mach 1 wheels are for Mach 1’s…. Right????... whatever…. Painted Shelby Stripes… now look who’s talking….
Or paint Boy’s car with the side scoops… Ya those really work…????
And ya know… I bet CDC doesn’t sell any of those… Right…
I’m probably the only one to buy there hood pins …. Ya right…
Get a life…..

BTW.. do you want a cookie cause you have real hood pins?

No one cares.
Old 7/1/05 | 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, what he said is right on target. We all have something on our cars that somebody thinks is rice. I confess, that I have those FAKE hood pins, not because I wouldn't like to have the real thing, but I've had the car for only 3 weeks and before I drill holes in my hood I'd like see if I'm going to want to live with hood pins for the next 10 years. So EXCUSE ME if my fake hood pins offend you purists. But for the time being I'm poerfectly happy being a hood pin poser.
Old 7/1/05 | 11:41 AM
FR500 Member

You can try and justify it anyway you want, but painting rally stripes on a Mustang, or adding a ducktail or scoops, are all cosmetic mods to change the look of the car. Hood pins are a cosmetic mod as well, but they also are meant to serve a purpose and that's to keep the hood down (as well as save weight from the front of the car... I actually took my factory latch mechanism out). Painted stripes, ducktails, etc... do not serve any purpose other than looks. Hood pins are supposed to be functional, as well as look cool. And the fact that you have stick-on hood pins is just retarded IMO.

And you are on the wrong track here. Nobody is saying you are a poser. Some, including myself, were saying that you were a fake with those fake hood pins. There's a difference between a poser and a fake. I'm not talking about people who put the wrong wheels or badges on a car to pretend like it's something it's not. You went off about "Shelby" stripes on a non-Shelby or Mach wheels on a non-Mach, but that has nothing to do with putting fake hood pins on a car. No matter what the car, fake hood pins are fake hood pins. And I called you on it. Don't get offended and turn the tables on me. The fact is here that you took the easy way out. Instead of doing it the right way by getting real hood pins and drilling the holes, etc... to make them functional, you got the stick-on ones and called it a day. You would have actually saved yourself $25, as well as future embarrassment, by getting real hood pins instead of the stick-on kind. :bang:
Old 7/1/05 | 02:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Acadian, you sly devil, taking the hood latch off.... :nono:

I will tell you what. Fake or not they add to the appearance of the car.

Mine just hold the hood down in an emergency. I've had one too! Word to the wise...Get real hood pins, this car needs them. :worship:
Old 7/1/05 | 02:20 PM
FR500 Member

I thought I might as well get the most out of the mod. The entire latch mechanism has to weigh a few pounds. Afterall, I had the hood bolts welded into the frame of the car, so they aren't going anywhere. And I agree that the hood pins add to the appearance, but you can't tell me that if you saw hood pins on a Mustang you wouldn't get up close to see if they were real or not. And it can't be too difficult to tell.
Old 7/1/05 | 02:23 PM
GT Member

could always just give them a good 'ol YANK to see if they were real or not
Old 7/1/05 | 02:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by acadian@July 1, 2005, 12:44 PM

Hood pins are a cosmetic mod as well, but they also are meant to serve a purpose and that's to keep the hood down (as well as save weight from the front of the car... I actually took my factory latch mechanism out).

If you don't have a hood latch, how do you lock your hood? Can anyone just pull the pins and open it up? Will it set of the alarm? How much weight did you save with the "latch release delete" mod?
Old 7/1/05 | 04:23 PM
FR500 Member

There's no lock now. Which makes it good for me whenever I need to get under the hood. But, as far as someone else opening it, the alarm would go off. I live in a smaller town with practically no crime. People leave their doors unlocked around here. So, I'm not too worried about it. As far as weight, I'd have to weigh them, but I'm guessing 3-5 pounds. Not much, but it's something.

Edit: Not sure if I completely clarified this, but if you open the hood and the alarm is set, the alarm does go off. It happened to me a couple times... forgot to turn off the alarm before I opened the hood.
Old 7/1/05 | 05:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

If you like the pins that is OK with me! I bought a set of hood pins and just couldn't bring myself to drill holes in the hood.
Old 7/1/05 | 09:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by acadian@June 30, 2005, 1:50 PM
Yeah, I would have gone real or not gone that route at all. Ever since I put mine on, I've been asked at least 25 times if they are real... I'd feel pretty silly if I had to say they were fake. I mean, they look good, but what's the point?
I really thought about this one but I'm going the fake route myself--for now. I had a budget and wanted to get the most bang for the buck. I really, really want the Steeda cowl hood, but can't afford to get it, have it prepped and painted AND have the hood pins installed AND put the quicklift gear in place. So, as a temporary move, I'm simply putting a graphics-express stripe on the hood and the fake hood pins. Sure, it's just eye candy, but now I can save up for the a decent aftermarket hood and the labor I'll need.

My son really razzed me about my choice, until I told him what I'd be doing in a few months. To each his own. My 2 cents...

John