05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Hey V6 guys!

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/08, 01:40 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey V6 guys!

I'm trying to convert my GT (look) into the V6 style. I just like the V6 style over the GT (I hope the GT guys don't ban me). I bought the 2007 V6 style spoiler, V6 badges and a bullitt grille. I still need the (stock) rocker stripe and black rocker panels.

Does anyone own a 2007 Tungsten Grey V6 with the V6 style spoiler and black rocker stripes? If so...do you mind posting some pictures. I would like a car to emulate (nice word for copy).
Old 2/1/08, 02:33 PM
V6 Member

Interesting,i guess this is a compliment of sorts.I mean,like,you are'nt going to single exhaust and changing your trunk emblem,are you?I have some older pics about,but don't post them much as it does'nt feel "finished"yet.
Old 2/1/08, 02:52 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bandit1
Interesting,i guess this is a compliment of sorts.I mean,like,you are'nt going to single exhaust and changing your trunk emblem,are you?I have some older pics about,but don't post them much as it does'nt feel "finished"yet.
Absolutely...it's a compliment. I truly like the look of the V6 over the GT. I feel the base model reminds me most of the Mustangs of the 60's and 70's. I guess, I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too. I like the GT drive train...but I like it more with the classic look of the V6. I am changing the trunk emblem too. I already have it along with the fender ponies. But...I won't be changing to single exhaust. I'm sure some people think I'm crazy...but it's all about going your own way and following your own vision. I just can’t wait until spring so I can get the parts installed. Your pictures are welcome if you don’t mind sharing them.
Old 2/1/08, 03:06 PM
V6 Member

Well,i sure would like to see the look on some peoples faces when you are out and about drivng your "v6 looker"with those specs.Ya,know,considering some of the crazy things i know our sixers are doing,i reckon a mustang is a mustang is the bottom line.

Look here at member rides.Several tungstens in there to gain ideas from.Good Luck-http://www.mustangcollective.com/
Old 2/1/08, 04:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
And of course building a killer "sleeper" can be fun too
Old 2/1/08, 04:46 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's some pics of my alloy gray 07 GT coupe that I am converting over to look more like a V6. I ordered it with the rear spoiler delete and the 18" fanblade wheels (didn't want flash or chrome). Replaced the GT fender emblems with Pony emblems. Traded front grills and foglamps with a friend who's converting his 06 V6 Pony to look like a GT. Just bought his set of charcoal 17" bullitt wheels that I'm mounting drag radials on (rears) and leaving the small tires up front for that sleeper look at the track.

Pop the hood and/or listen to the (quiet factory) exhaust note and it's obvious there's a V8, but going down the street or track, I want to keep them guessing! I've had quite a few perplexed looks from passersby, and lots of people ask which engine is under the hood.
Attached Images     
Old 2/1/08, 05:08 PM
GT Member

Thanks Bandit1. I will look through those pics for some inspiration.

Yes…Paul…Sleepers can be fun.

Brian…that car is killer! You have done a beautiful job. That clean and understated look is exactly what I’m shooting for. Thanks for posting.
Old 2/1/08, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by MSGTGT
That clean and understated look is exactly what I’m shooting for.
Same reason that when I bought a new 5.0L Mustang back in the spring of 1989, I chose the 5.0L LX Sport instead of the GT model. Same drivetrain, but simple clean lines (and less weight). Plus, the LX 5.0L was about $500 less than the "look at me" GT.
Old 2/1/08, 07:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a pic of my 06. This is the standard sport stripe not the Pony edition.
Attached Thumbnails Hey V6 guys!-car.jpg   Hey V6 guys!-img_2065w.jpg  
Old 2/1/08, 08:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Here's some pics of my alloy gray 07 GT coupe that I am converting over to look more like a V6. I ordered it with the rear spoiler delete and the 18" fanblade wheels (didn't want flash or chrome). Replaced the GT fender emblems with Pony emblems. Traded front grills and foglamps with a friend who's converting his 06 V6 Pony to look like a GT. Just bought his set of charcoal 17" bullitt wheels that I'm mounting drag radials on (rears) and leaving the small tires up front for that sleeper look at the track.

Pop the hood and/or listen to the (quiet factory) exhaust note and it's obvious there's a V8, but going down the street or track, I want to keep them guessing! I've had quite a few perplexed looks from passersby, and lots of people ask which engine is under the hood.
Love the look of you car. You've got to tell me how you got the v6 grill to fit.
Old 2/2/08, 06:54 AM
V6 Member

I'm trying to convert my GT (look) into the V6 style. I just like the V6 style over the GT (I hope the GT guys don't ban me). I bought the 2007 V6 style spoiler, V6 badges and a bullitt grille. I still need the (stock) rocker stripe and black rocker panels.

Does anyone own a 2007 Tungsten Grey V6 with the V6 style spoiler and black rocker stripes? If so...do you mind posting some pictures. I would like a car to emulate (nice word for copy).
Very interesting and a sweet ride, you're going to have a lot of fun. I have a stock grill off my 05 V6 if you are interested and I'll let it go cheap.
Old 2/2/08, 08:30 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Racer3
Very interesting and a sweet ride, you're going to have a lot of fun. I have a stock grill off my 05 V6 if you are interested and I'll let it go cheap.
Thanks!

Attached is a picture of how the car looks today. (sorry about the quality...I'm still learning how to crop and modify these things)

Thanks for your offer, but I already have the Bullitt Grille (not a stock V6 grille, but it deletes those fogs). I also have the Silver Horse Racing grille inserts (to hide the intercooler). I have the tri-bar pony fender emblems and gas cap. I just received the 2007 low profile V6 rear spoiler. So...I'm almost set, except for the stock black rocker mouldings and rocker stripes. I hope to get the whole thing transformed when the weather changes here in Wisconsin. The car won't leave the garage until the road salt goes away.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Car2.bmp (497.5 KB, 295 views)
Old 2/2/08, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by lowblustang00
Love the look of you car. You've got to tell me how you got the v6 grill to fit.
The V6 Pony grill is a bit smaller than my original GT grill, the styrofoam pad under the bumper cover is different between the two, and the mounting tabs for the grill are in different locations. But, the wiring and headlamp switch are plug and play - totally identical for the GT and V6 Pony cars.

I traded grills with a friend who owns an 06 V6 Pony. He bought a GT front bumper cover but didn't get the grill/foglights with it, and I wanted his V6 Pony grill/foglights, so we traded straight across. He and I did the swap in his garage. We had to swap the styrofoam pads under the bumper cover as they are V6 and GT specific to take up the space under the grill.

I have to apologize that we did not take pics during the swap as it was a spur of the moment decision to do this. I went to his house initially to install other parts on his car that he had just bought (he's not mechanically inclined, so I offered to turn wrenches for free).

I bought thick black rubber marine quality weatherstripping (self adhesive) to go around the sides and bottom of the V6 Pony grill to take up the gap (as the V6 grill is slightly smaller than the GT grill). The weatherstripping I chose blends in so well with the black plastic of the factory grills that nobody can tell it's there unless I point it out and they look very, very close.

I cut all the mounting tabs off the V6 Pony grill, but left my GT bumper mounting tabs intact in case I ever want to reinstall a GT grill. With no mounting tabs left, I put the grill into the bumper and made a pair of brackets out of thin metal mending plates (from a hardware store) that I installed over the radiator to the top of the V6 Pony grill, but located under the factory radiator cover so that they can not be seen with the radiator cover reinstalled.

The brackets didn't require any special fabricating (they are 4 x 2 inch plates that bend with a little effort and tin snips to shape them). Drilled small holes in them to use small bolts, lock washers, and nuts to secure them discreetly out of sight. There are quite a few good locations to put these brackets, so I just picked a spot that I thought would hide them from view the best after it was put back together.

To secure the bottom of the grill, I used a pair of black screws (to match the black plastic factory grill) to connect the bottom of the grill to an existing pair of the GT tabs still in the bumper cover at the bottom of the grill opening. I chose a location that was deep in the honeycomb of the grill so that it was very inconspicuous. Again, nobody notices it unless I point it out and they look very, very close to see it.

Here's a couple closer pics of the finished effort. You shouldn't be able to see any of the mounting plates or hardware as I hid them from view to keep it looking 100% factory. And as the GT grill opening is just slightly wider at the bottom than the V6 (especially in the bottom corners), that's the only trace of any gap you'll see (if you squint really hard)...
Attached Images   
Old 2/2/08, 09:25 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
I traded grills with a friend who owns an 06 V6 Pony. He bought a GT front bumper cover but didn't get the grill/foglights with it, and I wanted his V6 Pony grill/foglights, so we traded straight across. He and I did the swap in his garage. We had to swap the styrofoam pads under the bumper cover as they are V6 and GT specific to take up the space under the grill.
You know Brian...if I hadn't already bought my Bullitt Grille...I would seriously think about this upgrade. Wondeful job!
Old 2/8/08, 11:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is my Pony V6

Hey here is some photos of my T8 Pony with the black racing stripes. Sorry for the snow it was a snowy day here in Chicagoland. I like the Bullitt and I put a few of the bullitt items on it. Now all I have to do is replace the engine... LOL!Attachment 39115

Attachment 39116

Attachment 39117

Attachment 39118
Attached Thumbnails Hey V6 guys!-img_0052.jpg   Hey V6 guys!-img_0051.jpg   Hey V6 guys!-img_0050.jpg   Hey V6 guys!-img_0040.jpg  
Old 2/15/08, 12:03 AM
MSP
Banned

Looks sweet man!

Here is my V6 Mustang Turbo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHAO9NdmNjc
Old 2/16/08, 07:14 AM
V6 Member

Absolutely...it's a compliment. I truly like the look of the V6 over the GT. I feel the base model reminds me most of the Mustangs of the 60's and 70's. I guess, I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too. I like the GT drive train...but I like it more with the classic look of the V6. I am changing the trunk emblem too. I already have it along with the fender ponies. But...I won't be changing to single exhaust. I'm sure some people think I'm crazy...but it's all about going your own way and following your own vision. I just can’t wait until spring so I can get the parts installed. Your pictures are welcome if you don’t mind sharing them.
I'm an old retro guy who once owned a 1970 Boss - sweetest mustang I ever drove. So I knew when the 2005 was introduced I had to have one. It was a spitting image of my old Boss except for the fogs. All FOMOCO offered were the big Fogs for the GT and they aren't very retro at all. So I was thrilled when they offered the pony package in 2006 as here was a grill that represented the spirit and the authenticity of my old boss. So that was an early mod for me.
I salute your unique effort but hope you never pull up next to me while stopped at a red light. I'd hate to be embarrassed!!!
Old 2/16/08, 02:52 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Racer3
I'm an old retro guy who once owned a 1970 Boss - sweetest mustang I ever drove. So I knew when the 2005 was introduced I had to have one. It was a spitting image of my old Boss except for the fogs. All FOMOCO offered were the big Fogs for the GT and they aren't very retro at all. So I was thrilled when they offered the pony package in 2006 as here was a grill that represented the spirit and the authenticity of my old boss. So that was an early mod for me.
I salute your unique effort but hope you never pull up next to me while stopped at a red light. I'd hate to be embarrassed!!!
Well...from one old guy to another...I was never lucky enough to own a 1970 Boss. I can only imagine how cool that would be. The '69 - '70 model years were my personal favorites. At age 19 I owned a 1972 red Mustang Fastback with a 302. That was my first and last Mustang until I bought this '07. I'm re-living those carefree years all over again except now and have a mortgage. I love the new Pony’s. I have a friend who owns a 2006 white Pony. Great looking car. I actually got interested in the new Mustangs again while on vacation in Colorado Springs while visiting my son. After we landed…I walked up to the Hertz dealer and the sales person said “For ten dollars more a day, you can drive a Mustang”. That was all it took. The highlight of that vacation (besides seeing my son) was driving a bright red 2006 V6 Mustang. I had the time of my life. I was also very surprised with the amount of power that V6 put out. That was the first time in many years that I got a car over 100 MPH! Honestly, I love the V6 Stangs. I know I went overboard with my current car…but the Tim Allan syndrome took over me. Anyway…I’m here in Wisconsin waiting for another round of snow and looking forward to spring so I can get started on transforming this car into my version of a dream car. I will post pictures when I can. Thanks for the encouragement. I wish I knew where that ’70 Boss you owned is right now. Now…THAT is a dream car.
Old 2/17/08, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread is a pure example of mustang comradely, enjoying seeing mustang owners of various power plants collaborating together.

Dave,

This is a cool project, post more pics as soon as you can.
Old 2/18/08, 05:26 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by rygenstormlocke
This thread is a pure example of mustang comradely, enjoying seeing mustang owners of various power plants collaborating together.

Dave,

This is a cool project, post more pics as soon as you can.
Thanks Rygen...

Nothing can be cooler than a 10 second V6! Awesome! And as far as comradery goes...that is how it should be...right?

Quick Reply: Hey V6 guys!