05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

GT500 or "style" ducktail

Search this Thread

Old 6/23/07, 08:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slotted rotors and spoiler should be your next mod Jonathan!!
Old 6/23/07, 08:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JonCo
Mike those look real good. Louvers and spoiler. Only thing Im afriad about is not having strips. I think the strips really set that spoiler off and mine just being redfire I think it'll look plain...

I was thinking about doing the spoiler black. Since I have my car with black accents( black rims, cdc chin, rear blackout panel). opinions/pictures?

Im debating between mods right now... Spoiler, MGW Shifter, Slotted/drilled rotors, hood
Thanks Jon,
Personally, I have always liked a black spoiler with black accents. As a matter of fact, I took a black takeoff spoiler off to put this one on. Just decided to change up for awhile. However, I went with gloss black as opposed to most who do matte....Here are some pics with the black spoiler on, and I still had the blackout panel on. Haven't put it back on yet....And you will not be disappointed when you get the MGW shifter...It is awesome...

Thanks again,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails GT500 or "style" ducktail-stripeson-015-medium-.jpg   GT500 or "style" ducktail-stripeson-038-medium-.jpg   GT500 or "style" ducktail-stripeson-048-medium-.jpg   GT500 or "style" ducktail-stripeson-061-medium-.jpg  
Old 6/23/07, 11:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by mco05gt
Slotted rotors and spoiler should be your next mod Jonathan!!
Lol, most likely this is what I'll be doing with the next few paychecks. I have 20's now and new rotors would set off the look. My wheels draw alot of attention and having nice rotors and spoiler will only help to grab more .

Of course I'd love to have the MGW shifter. But Im forcing myself to work on the car by parts. Exterior/Interior/Performance. Its tough not buying little odds and ends for the interior in order to save for the outside mods first.

Originally Posted by Got Oatz
Thanks Jon,
Personally, I have always liked a black spoiler with black accents. As a matter of fact, I took a black takeoff spoiler off to put this one on. Just decided to change up for awhile. However, I went with gloss black as opposed to most who do matte....Here are some pics with the black spoiler on, and I still had the blackout panel on. Haven't put it back on yet....And you will not be disappointed when you get the MGW shifter...It is awesome...

Thanks again,
Mike
See I'd do the gloss finish to the spoiler. Everything thats black on my car is gloss(except the chin spoiler). Im just afraid of it looking outta place on the car. I know Im not a fan of the stock spoiler and 200(give or take) for a new painted spoiler sounds like a great solution. Anyone have any pictures of a redfire(or any color) mustang with black spoiler?

Below is my car. Opinions?

EDIT: Man. I just really think this spoiler looks SO much better with strips like you have Mike. And mine which doesn't(and have no plans to add) will look. Plain. Lol, im **** about having things look good(who isn't?) Haha
Attached Thumbnails GT500 or "style" ducktail-m1.jpg   GT500 or "style" ducktail-m5.jpg   GT500 or "style" ducktail-m4.jpg   GT500 or "style" ducktail-m7.jpg  
Old 6/24/07, 06:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ditto on the Sportswing.....
Attached Thumbnails GT500 or "style" ducktail-newrearside.jpg  
Old 6/24/07, 06:53 AM
Bullitt Member

I've had my SportWing on now for about a month and a half. Rain, heat and even a 1500 mile drive to Tenn and back. Looks as as good as the day I installed it.

I have compared it closely to the factory piece and the only picky difference I can see is that on the OEM spoiler, the edges are a little crisper. Very slight. Probably dues to the Sportwing being blow molded vs. the fiberglass molding of the factory one. 99.9% of peole would never notice the difference.

But at the price I paid and my car being a driver that's fine with me.

Oh, If you have the GTA mufflers and you haven't put at least 1000-1500 miles on them yet, boy are you in for a surprise. 9 hrs to Tenn at 70+ MPH and the next morning my wife says, "Wow, those aren't the mufflers we left with."
Old 6/24/07, 08:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Got Oatz,

Mustang looks awesome. I like the stock spoiler but for your setup the GT500 spoiler is a way better fit. Very nice
Old 6/24/07, 09:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lookin Good!!

So I finally got the stripes put on the spoiler, and got it installed. Also installed the CDC louvers today...Special props to David2Toys. These louvers used to be on his MG.....I love how they both came out. Anyone waiting for these spoilers, you will be pleased with the outcome.....

Mike

Looks great Mike, Good Job!!!
Also thanks for the kind words!!!
Dave
Old 6/25/07, 08:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Im prolly going to be doing the spoiler/rotor mod hopefully by mid July. And possibly try and squeeze a new radar detector. And Leave the shifter and other for mid August.

Money goes quick dont it?
Old 6/27/07, 07:37 AM
V6 Member

Here's mine

I got mine from Sportwing on ebay. Only took six days to get to me here in Germany, very good quality.
Attached Thumbnails GT500 or "style" ducktail-shelby-spoiler.jpg   GT500 or "style" ducktail-shelby-spoiler-2.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 6/30/07, 09:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

hey guys, just got mine from ebay as well. Quick question, my spoiler came with 4 square rubber gasket-like materials with an adhesive back. I presume that these are to be placed on the trunklid around the holes to prevent tightening the spoiler onto the lid too tightly? My first thought though is they might create a gap between the spoiler/trunk lid. Also, I used the two factory holes, and the spoiler already seems to be on pretty tight. I was thinking about just picking up some 3M strips for the sides, rather than drilling outer holes, anyone tried this? Finally, what'd you guys use to seal the unused factory holes? thanks, pics on the way for my vista blue
Old 7/1/07, 07:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jedikd
hey guys, just got mine from ebay as well. Quick question, my spoiler came with 4 square rubber gasket-like materials with an adhesive back.
Doesn't sound like a Sportwing? The Sportwing (prepainted) comes with all the pads applied at the proper locations and they cover the factory holes.

Did yours not come with any instructions?

My Sportwing
Attached Images  
Old 7/1/07, 08:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

hey guys, just got mine from ebay as well. Quick question, my spoiler came with 4 square rubber gasket-like materials with an adhesive back. I presume that these are to be placed on the trunklid around the holes to prevent tightening the spoiler onto the lid too tightly? My first thought though is they might create a gap between the spoiler/trunk lid. Also, I used the two factory holes, and the spoiler already seems to be on pretty tight. I was thinking about just picking up some 3M strips for the sides, rather than drilling outer holes, anyone tried this? Finally, what'd you guys use to seal the unused factory holes? thanks, pics on the way for my vista blue
Mine is from the spoiler store, and yes, the four foam pads are for application around the installation bolt holes. Peel and stick prior to laying down the spoiler. It will not cause a gap, since the spoiler has 3M tape all the way around already, so the pads basically just match the thickness, and prevent pulling the wing down too far...and also seal around the bolt holes.
I went ahead and drilled the outboard holes. I think the two factory plus 3M would have held just fine, but I just feel better about having the outboard edges secured. Since the spoiler already has 3M tape around the entire perimeter, additional tape may just be overkill, not sure......
As for the two remaining factory holes, I have not done anything with them. Because the spoiler is sealed around the entire perimeter with tape, I think moisture would be hard pressed to get that far under. But it would certainly be easy enough to hit the two remaining holes with a shot of silicone from under the deck lid. Probably do it when I think about it...

Mike
Old 7/1/07, 09:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mine is from the spoiler store, and yes, the four foam pads are for application around the installation bolt holes. Peel and stick prior to laying down the spoiler. It will not cause a gap, since the spoiler has 3M tape all the way around already, so the pads basically just match the thickness, and prevent pulling the wing down too far...and also seal around the bolt holes.
I went ahead and drilled the outboard holes. I think the two factory plus 3M would have held just fine, but I just feel better about having the outboard edges secured. Since the spoiler already has 3M tape around the entire perimeter, additional tape may just be overkill, not sure......
As for the two remaining factory holes, I have not done anything with them. Because the spoiler is sealed around the entire perimeter with tape, I think moisture would be hard pressed to get that far under. But it would certainly be easy enough to hit the two remaining holes with a shot of silicone from under the deck lid. Probably do it when I think about it...

Mike
hmmm, mine is from thespoilerstore and doesn't have any 3M tape on it... your's came with the 3M on it right? Anyone know where I can buy the 3M tape? I checked Lowes/Pep Boys and they don't have it.
Old 7/1/07, 09:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

hmmm, mine is from thespoilerstore and doesn't have any 3M tape on it... your's came with the 3M on it right? Anyone know where I can buy the 3M tape? I checked Lowes/Pep Boys and they don't have it.
Are you sure? I assume you had them paint your spoiler. If so, there is probably paint over the top of the red peel 3M tape. I know on mine, the tape was sprayed over, and made it appear Mineral Grey completely. You may want to check. Just poke the area where the tape goes, and you will probably see the paint chips flake off the 3M tape.

If no, then Autozone carries the 3M tape......

Mike
Old 7/6/07, 04:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

i eventually found the tape under the spoler and put it on properly. only cost $190 shipped from thespoilerstore on ebay and it looks great to me.
Attached Thumbnails GT500 or "style" ducktail-small-16.jpg  
Old 7/6/07, 05:21 PM
GT Member

GT500 Sportwing on my GT350

jb
Old 7/6/07, 07:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

i eventually found the tape under the spoler and put it on properly. only cost $190 shipped from thespoilerstore on ebay and it looks great to me.
Glad it worked out for you. I had been wondering if you found the tape!! Looks great by the way.

Isn't it odd at first looking out the rear view mirror, compared to the factory spoiler...????

Congrats,
Mike
Old 7/6/07, 07:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Glad it worked out for you. I had been wondering if you found the tape!! Looks great by the way.

Isn't it odd at first looking out the rear view mirror, compared to the factory spoiler...????

Congrats,
Mike
thanks, It's a bit bigger than I imagined looking in the rear view mirror, it was a surprise
Old 7/6/07, 08:24 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by mco05gt
I just installed mine from Atlanta Mustang on Sunday and love it. $229 shipped. Color match is great.
Can you post pictures? I have Wblue too and I want see the whole car in Wbluw with the gt500 spoiler. I guess you went with the 3d carbon. Do you need to drill an extra hole? I don't drill an extra hole in my car.
thanks.
Old 7/6/07, 08:44 PM
GT Member

Got Oatz, I love the large center stripe on your car, saving to stripe my Legend Lime with a pearl white stripe or satin silver the same way.

Quick Reply: GT500 or "style" ducktail