05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

GT500 or "style" ducktail

Search this Thread

Old 6/20/07, 08:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with the Ford factory GT500 spoiler and have been happy with it. I bought it from a local dealer and had a local shop shoot the paint and install it. Not to criticize anybody who has gone aftermarket, but some of the feedback I got from the paint shop was interesting. I was a heartbeat away from buying the 3D Carbon spoiler but the price ended up nearly identical with the Ford product from the dealer. When I brought my spoiler over to the shop, there was a red Mustang with a GT500 style spoiler just being finished. I asked the paint shop owner about the job. He told me it was an aftermarket spoiler. He remarked that he was not impressed with the quality (possibly 3D carbon). He said that the factory spoiler has bolts that protrude from the spoiler which he believes are attached to a piece of metal that is embedded inside the spoiler and runs end to end. This gives the bolts a solid mounting platform and good rigidity. The spoiler he just installed had the self-tapping screws which he felt would work loose over time and possibly strip with vibration leaving only the double sided tape holding the spoiler on. And, he said the aftermarket spoiler could bend easily which also implied that there was nothing inside of it to keep it rigid. He also did not like the idea of drilling holes in the outside of the trunk lid. The Ford product was much stronger and would not flex. Both spoilers use the double sided tape in addition to the screws. Is this a huge deal? Maybe not. But, if the prices are the same between Ford and aftermarket GT500 spoilers then it pays to do some homework.
Old 6/20/07, 05:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
OK, received my Sportwing spoiler today.... wow, fast shipping!

Spoiler is well packed, no blemishes, good instructions, all hardware!

Paint match is perfect, I mean perfect, and I'm pretty ****!

Install was a breeze, spent about an hour total!

Completed the install, realized that trying to apply vinyl stripes to the new spoiler while in a garage with no air in 90+ degree heat is a bad idea!

LOL, I need to order more vinyl.... how shameful is it to have a new spoiler installed that looks KILLER but isn't striped to match the car?
Old 6/20/07, 06:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom,
Did you drill the outside holes??
Old 6/20/07, 06:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
OK, received my Sportwing spoiler today.... wow, fast shipping!

Spoiler is well packed, no blemishes, good instructions, all hardware!

Paint match is perfect, I mean perfect, and I'm pretty ****!

Install was a breeze, spent about an hour total!

Completed the install, realized that trying to apply vinyl stripes to the new spoiler while in a garage with no air in 90+ degree heat is a bad idea!

LOL, I need to order more vinyl.... how shameful is it to have a new spoiler installed that looks KILLER but isn't striped to match the car?
Tom,
LOL....+1 on the unstriped new spoiler. When I fitted mine last weekend to mark for the stripes, I just wanted to leave it on.....Especially when I got about two hours into trying to do the Superstripe on this spoiler....What a chore.....
Stripe is now on, but I am waiting until this weekend to install, I am going to drill the outside holes...

Congrats,
Mike

PS....PICS!!!
Attached Thumbnails GT500 or "style" ducktail-shelby-spoiler-006-large-.jpg  
Old 6/20/07, 07:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

The Atlanta one has 4 holes to mount it. But it only uses 2 of the factory ones. You need to drill the outer 2 plus the 3m tape. Very impressed with it so far. Just my .02
Old 6/20/07, 08:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by AFChief
Tom,
Did you drill the outside holes??
yes I did..... but I also cut the hole in the hood for the shaker kit last year, so I'm not timid about it LOL!

Originally Posted by Got Oatz
Tom,
LOL....+1 on the unstriped new spoiler. When I fitted mine last weekend to mark for the stripes, I just wanted to leave it on.....Especially when I got about two hours into trying to do the Superstripe on this spoiler....What a chore.....
Stripe is now on, but I am waiting until this weekend to install, I am going to drill the outside holes...

Congrats,
Mike

PS....PICS!!!
Thanks Mike! Oh yeah, pix.... can I wait till I get it striped?
Old 6/20/07, 10:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Thanks Mike! Oh yeah, pix.... can I wait till I get it striped?
Sure... I guess we can wait till you get it stripped...

Old 6/20/07, 11:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My spoiler from Sportwing should hopefully be here tomorrow. Once I install it I will post pics.
Old 6/21/07, 07:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Does anyone know who has the best price on the OEM GT500 spoiler?
Ninosport seems to be pretty good. Can anyone reccomend of anything better for the OEM?

http://www.ninosport.com/Ford-Racing...&category=4873
Old 6/21/07, 08:51 AM
Bullitt Member

....leaving only the double sided tape holding the spoiler on.
You ever try to pull a spoiler off with just the tape holding it on??....good luck......that 3M tape holds more stuff on cars then you can imagine....

hags1
Old 6/21/07, 09:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by black sunshine
Ninosport seems to be pretty good. Can anyone reccomend of anything better for the OEM?

I think that is the same price I paid for mine from a local dealer. Some dealers will try and mark it up on you so you have to shop around.
Old 6/21/07, 09:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by hags1
You ever try to pull a spoiler off with just the tape holding it on??....good luck......that 3M tape holds more stuff on cars then you can imagine....

hags1

Right on..... my cervinis window scoops ahve been on for over a year and they WILL NOT budge. Even the factory spoiler was on very tight and the Sportwing piece was held on with just tape before I put the 6 screws in, and it wouldn't budge. 3M tape, if properly applied, works very well.
Old 6/21/07, 06:03 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by black sunshine

Here it's a bit cheaper...
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...0%201&comp=LRS
Old 6/21/07, 07:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NBAworm
Thanks!!
Old 6/21/07, 11:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Well it took me about 2 1/2 hours including a trip to Canadian Tire for a drill bit I didn't have. But I got her installed. I got it from Sportwing on ebay $220 including paint (shipping extra). Very good quality paint and great fit. I was a little nervous drilling through the trunk lid to mount the outer retainer screw(they supply the black plastic cover plugs). But found it fairly easy for even a guy like me who usually screws up.
The hardest part was getting the sticky tape off the trunk lid left behind by the out spoiler.
Attached Thumbnails GT500 or "style" ducktail-p6210380-medium-.jpg   GT500 or "style" ducktail-p6210389-medium-.jpg   GT500 or "style" ducktail-p6210392-medium-.jpg   GT500 or "style" ducktail-p6210393-medium-.jpg  
Old 6/22/07, 02:35 AM
V6 Member

I just ordered mine from sportwing I can't wait
Old 6/22/07, 04:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Cdvision
Old 6/23/07, 12:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

He are a few pics of mine installed.
Attached Thumbnails GT500 or "style" ducktail-photo_062307_001.jpg   GT500 or "style" ducktail-photo_062307_002.jpg   GT500 or "style" ducktail-photo_062307_003.jpg  
Old 6/23/07, 06:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Lookin Good!!

So I finally got the stripes put on the spoiler, and got it installed. Also installed the CDC louvers today...Special props to David2Toys. These louvers used to be on his MG.....I love how they both came out. Anyone waiting for these spoilers, you will be pleased with the outcome.....

Mike

Old 6/23/07, 07:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Mike those look real good. Louvers and spoiler. Only thing Im afriad about is not having strips. I think the strips really set that spoiler off and mine just being redfire I think it'll look plain...

I was thinking about doing the spoiler black. Since I have my car with black accents( black rims, cdc chin, rear blackout panel). opinions/pictures?

Im debating between mods right now... Spoiler, MGW Shifter, Slotted/drilled rotors, hood

Quick Reply: GT500 or "style" ducktail