05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

GT 500 front fascia conversion ?

Search this Thread

Old 6/6/07, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT 500 front fascia conversion ?

So i have decided i am going to do the GT 500 front fascia on my 06 GT. Can anyone point me in the right direction of where is the best place to buy the complete kit? I saw one on e-bay going for $1400 is that what they go for now? If not is there anywhere i can get them without the markup.
Old 6/6/07, 11:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really hate to say this, but the prices have skyrocketed lately. I am sure KC will be along soon to provide some answers.
Old 6/7/07, 08:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Call Kevin he has a complete kit shipped price. He knows exactly what can be reused and what needs to be replaced. He is also just an all around good guy.
Old 6/7/07, 08:25 AM
Cobra Member

I bought mine from Kevin. I will say that there are a few components included that you don't absolutely need if you're creative, but they did make the swap a bit easier.
Old 6/8/07, 10:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Like others have mentioned above, I'd go with KC as well. I did for my v6 to GT500 conversion. He's a great guy and will walk you through everything for a successful conversion. Also I believe the kits being offered on E-bay does not include everything you need to do a successful conversion. I've seen some front-end kits for sale on E-bay that either excluded nuts & bolts, absorbers, and even GT500 headlights...so if you go the E-bay route, be careful what you buy as I would hate for you (or anyone else) to spend more money than they need to.
Old 6/8/07, 03:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

I want to get one of these also...but I feel, even though I'll put 4.0 emblems and pony's on the grille/fenders, that I'll get shelby poser remarks
Old 6/8/07, 05:35 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by nonstopred
I want to get one of these also...but I feel, even though I'll put 4.0 emblems and pony's on the grille/fenders, that I'll get shelby poser remarks

And you care why? It's your car, do what you want!
Old 6/8/07, 06:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you're putting the V6 emblems on it, I can't think of one person that would call you a poser. The problem a lot of people have comes in when people use the GT500 emblems.

If you're really worried about it, you could always get the Saleen Heritage kit. Very similar to the GT500, but different enough not to be a copy.
Old 6/8/07, 06:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

I was reading a recent issue of Road & Track (at a doctor's office so it may have been a different magazine) which compared the Shelby GT with three other cars.... one was the Audi TT..... In any case, there was an advertisement on one of the pages (or maybe within the article). I'm going to have to go back and swipe the mag!!! In any case, it goes on to say something like "Build your own Shelby GT". That all the components on the Shelby GT are available over the counter at your local Ford store for around $2600. That you can install these on your GT and save tens of thousands over than original Shelby... and you'll have a car that looks and performs just like the original.

It's almost like "cloning" is encouraged..... All I know is that classic muscle cars that are cloned and sold at Barrett Jackson are getting a pretty penny and as the Speed channel commentators say, "As long as the owner discloses that the car is a tribute, there is nothing wrong with doing this." Just my $0.02....

Willie
Old 6/9/07, 12:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Willie
I was reading a recent issue of Road & Track (at a doctor's office so it may have been a different magazine) which compared the Shelby GT with three other cars.... one was the Audi TT..... In any case, there was an advertisement on one of the pages (or maybe within the article). I'm going to have to go back and swipe the mag!!!

Willie
Just pull a Tony Soprano and tear out the pages
Old 6/9/07, 01:26 AM
Bullitt Member

I can tell you from personal experience that I haven't had one negative comment towards my v6 car since the conversion. The only emblem I have on the car is the running pony tri-bar from the 2006 pony package and it's offset on the grill. In the 2½ months I've had the kit on the car the following has happened...

** A lady in a vista blue s197 Mustang nearly rear-ended the car in front of her because she was too busy looking at my Mustang trying to determine what kind of Mustang it was.
** Had a lady at the gas station where I was taking pictures of the Mustang come up to me and asked if she could have her picture taken with the car because she loved it so much.
** Had a guy in a 5.0 compliment on my Mustang and tried to entice me to race, which I politely turned down.
** Had a complete stranger at the Ford dealership where I go to get my oil change strike up a 45 minute conversation with me on nothing but Mustangs (found out he had a heavily modified - power wise - 2003 GT that could spank a stock GT500).
**Had a guy in a v8 Ford Explorer compliment me on my Mustang after an impromptu race (from one light to the next) in which I beat him. We struck up a conversation at the next light for 90 seconds and gave me props on the looks and sound of the car. The only downside is that he thought my car had a "HEMI" in it...which just made me want to beat him with the club I was carrying in my car, but I was on a high at the time I let it slide.
** Local Ford dealership had a Mustang "Show & Shine" car show about 1 month ago and the coordinators wanted my car to be on display as a way to show others how they can customize their own Mustangs but had to turn it down due to the fact that at the time the Mustang was my daily driver and I needed it.

This doesn't even include the countless stares and looks I get from people when I take the car out on the road. Quite frankly I think my Mustang is as famous in my area as the yellow GT that's outfitted with the Street Scene bodykit, Foose wheels and Street Scene ducktail. There are several S197 Mustangs on the road in my area but as far as I know there's only 3 that's modified and I'm one of them.

So I guess what I'm saying is that don't have any hangups about doing the conversion...you are only going to get positive comments. I would say if you're going to do it, you better act now (sound like a cheesy commerical don't I?) as the price on the conversions are going up through the roof from what I read.
Old 6/9/07, 08:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do what you want and forget about what people might say. I had debated this before my conversion too, but everyone seems to like it and I think mostly because I'm not trying to pass my car off as a Shelby.
Old 6/9/07, 11:33 PM
Bullitt Member

I honestly can't say that I debated doing the swap. I just saw cars like OLKACOP, 2L8IWON, Shelbywanabe, Ray Man and others that I knew that was the "body kit" I wanted to put on my Mustang if the opportunity presented itself. I did make a conscious effort to stay away from doing a complete Shelby clone as it wasn't my goal to become one...but to put on some cool components. Good or bad, it doesn't matter what people say about my Mustang. I'm very appreciative of the good comments and will take the negative comments understand consideration if they are said in a constructive way...but in the end my opinion is the one really of importance to my Mustang.
Old 6/10/07, 01:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

....I had debated this before my conversion too, but everyone seems to like it and I think mostly because I'm not trying to pass my car off as a Shelby.

Well I do, but only to people I don't know. Here's my story:

Back in late '05 / early '06, deposits for the '07 GT500 were being taken at dealerships. At the time, I owned an '03 Cobra but really liked the newer body style far better. After much internal debating, I decided NOT to put down a deposit until final pricing was released. In my mind, that would have been an awful financial decision -- I mean who in their right mind would put down money not knowing what the final cost would be? Not for me, thanks! After pricing was released, dealerships had waiting lists for this car... I had lost my opportunity.

After the cars started arriving at dealerships (with their record pure profit addendums), I developed a bitter taste in my mouth towards these dealerships. Then it seemed that virtually all dealerships eventually joined the bandwagon. In all my years, I have NEVER paid over retail for a car, much less retail. So my decision to purchase one was made for me -- I would have to wait a couple of years to buy one used. (No big deal for me.)

Due to other circumstances, I sold my Cobra and bought an '05 GT in 2006. I started searching the internet to learn about my new car. Then I found this website -- and Kevin! This dude is selling Ford OEM Shelby parts to "convert" your car. This was not my plan at all but after thinking about it for months, I made a decision. I bought everything EXCEPT the emblems. Then it came to mind that if I installed the badging, I could have a Shelby look-a-like. However, doing this was not in my character. Thinking about it some more, I made a radical (for me) decision. I was, in a distorted way, my way to get back at the dealerships. I took a "take this job and shove it" attitude towards those money mongers, known as dealerships and decided to build my own!

Granted, my car is not a 100 percent clone (exterior). I made changes to make it mine. From the front, I made and installed a parking lamp DRL module. From the side, I have chrome GT500 style wheels. From the rear, I deleted the factory third brake light, replaced it with the LED bar mounted on the top of the rear glass, a taillight blackout panel and Shelby lettering spread across the trunk lid, across where the third brake light used to be. As of this message, I have not posted any pics of my car on this website nor anywhere else on the internet, but if anyone wants a peek, I suppose I will....(maybe).

After the conversion, one thing still bothered me. This car looks like a Shelby but doesn't perform like one. So it was time for one more mod. Enter Whipple, and a few other "goodies". Now I have a car that not only looks like a GT500 but performs like one too. As for the brakes, I could care less about the 14-inch Brembos. I can't recall the last time someone asked me to run them from 60 to 0....

To the people I know, they all know my car was not born a Shelby. What I find odd is that my "car buddies" all call my car a Cobra even though they know it isn't. To the people I don't know, I have only received positive. Countless at that. Prior to the conversion, no one would even look my direction. And to people who "know" these cars, I am quick to mention my car is a tribute.This has been my experience driving a look-a-like, clone, tribute, or whatever else you may want to call it. Today, I look upon my car as:

1) A piece of machinery that has a defiant attitude towards dealerships , and
2) A tribute to The Man himself .

This is my stance and why I call my car a tribute. It has nothing to do with trying to pass the car off as an original, except maybe to dealership management. Also, I have no trouble sleeping nights knowing its not an original. And in a couple of years, I will be buying a used original GT500, handing my GT to my wife, but only if she wants to replace her V6 with it. Anyone wanna bet she'll take it?
Old 6/10/07, 01:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Willie
[B]And in a couple of years, I will be buying a used original GT500, handing my GT to my wife, but only if she wants to replace her V6 with it. Anyone wanna bet she'll take it?
I'll take it if she doesn't.
Old 6/10/07, 01:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

haha. i think the conversion looks great and the only issue i could ever see is using the cobra badges.

it just costs a lot for a cosmetic mod, imo. plus i'm broke as it is, so $1k would be better spent on go-fast mods, esp. since i'm driving one of the slowest stock mustangs (automatic, 2007).
Old 6/12/07, 05:57 PM

newbie here...who's KC? Kevin?
Old 6/12/07, 06:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Go here:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/forumdisplay.php?f=86

Kevin is the parts manager at Clevenger Ford. He goes by 05stangKC.

Willie