05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Jerked around by insurance...

Search this Thread

Old 6/12/07, 05:21 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jerked around by insurance...

My car got plowed by an old lady that ran a red light on march 20th. it had extensive damage ($14,000.00 and counting) and had been in a body shop since april 16th. on may 29th i had the car moved from the body shop to my painters shop to have the paint done. The insurance company (the other drivers ins. company since it was entirely her fault) called me this am to tell me that they will not pay for a rental car for any longer than the body shop had the car, even though the body shop did not completely repair the car, and it still needed parts installed, and paint. what would you do in this case?
Old 6/12/07, 06:20 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Faber
My car got plowed by an old lady that ran a red light on march 20th. it had extensive damage ($14,000.00 and counting) and had been in a body shop since april 16th. on may 29th i had the car moved from the body shop to my painters shop to have the paint done. The insurance company (the other drivers ins. company since it was entirely her fault) called me this am to tell me that they will not pay for a rental car for any longer than the body shop had the car, even though the body shop did not completely repair the car, and it still needed parts installed, and paint. what would you do in this case?
That's why I try to handle everything through my insurance, no matter whose fault.
That's what you pay them for.
You might just try contacting your company to see if they can help.
They have a stake in this too because they do not want to insure a car that is not fixed correctly.
Old 6/12/07, 06:40 PM
Cobra Member

I guess I'm wondering why the paint and bodywork weren't done at the same shop? At any rate, how long did the paint shop have the car? If it took them longer to fit it in than the original body shop would have taken then I see their point. I would presume the car must be in pieces since you need to have it pretty well disassembled to paint in correctly. Is the paint shop reassembling or is it going back to the first shop? As Karman said, I do everything through my own carrier. In fact, that's their standard protocol: they have me get it fixed and THEY cut the check. They then worry about fighting the other company.
Old 6/12/07, 06:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

But in some cases(like my old insurance company) If they knew my car was involved in an accident whether or not it was my fualt I'd have to pay premium. Florida is a no fault state. That may be why. I dunno
Old 6/12/07, 06:50 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
But in some cases(like my old insurance company) If they knew my car was involved in an accident whether or not it was my fualt I'd have to pay premium. Florida is a no fault state. That may be why. I dunno
I'm in PA which is also no fault. You have to notify your carrier of a claim (your fault or not), it's a requirement of most carriers. If your carrier boosts your premium because of a claim against another carrier it's time for a new insurance company!
Old 6/12/07, 06:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yeah, I did. had to, it was stupid. Im with Progressive right now. And they wont charge me for anything thats not my fault.
Old 6/13/07, 06:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
Yeah, I did. had to, it was stupid. Im with Progressive right now. And they wont charge me for anything thats not my fault.
I'm with progressive, and you're still paying a premium for a not-at-fault accident over someone who has no accidents at all on their record.

Faber:

A friend did exactly what you had happen. They ended up agreeing talking it out with the original shop to find out what kind of time would have been needed, if it was all done at one place. My friend payed for:

The tow to and from his paint shop and the addition days needed for the rental car.

GA law says you can pick the shop of your choice. But once the work is started, it's on you to pay for moving it. I would say you're on the hook for the two extra tows, and any additional rental car days since you agreed to have work done at the first shop, but then moved the car. Good luck.
Old 6/13/07, 06:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If upu had everything done at the same shop you probably would not have a problem. Insurance companies are very finicky.
Old 6/13/07, 08:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by karman
That's why I try to handle everything through my insurance, no matter whose fault.
That's what you pay them for.
You might just try contacting your company to see if they can help.
They have a stake in this too because they do not want to insure a car that is not fixed correctly.
+1