05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

G2 Kit used to Paint My Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 8/24/06, 08:23 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did mine a few days ago. The G2 red paint was out of stock at the tirerack when I order, but only had to wait a few days. Below are a few tips and comments about the painting experience.
1.) yes the red looks orange going on, but dries to very hot deep red.
2.) I took my time so I didnt tape off.
3.) the paint dries fast and becomes tacky and difficult to use after an hour or so.
4.) buy better brushes and use ones of various size to get into the small places.
5.) jack up the entire car and do all wheels at the same time.
6.) have a beer
7.) I put on two coats but had some issues with the tacky paint (see #3)
8.) It looks great. Just need to wash the car and take a few picts on a sunny day.
Attached Thumbnails G2 Kit used to Paint My Calipers-100_3344.jpg   G2 Kit used to Paint My Calipers-100_3345.jpg   G2 Kit used to Paint My Calipers-100_3346.jpg  
Old 8/25/06, 02:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

Is it possible with this kit to do just one caliper at a time? I don't have access to a lift and I would'nt trust my car up on 4 jack stands. Can you mix just what you need for each one?
Old 8/25/06, 06:54 AM
Bullitt Member

As long as you have a flat area to park on, putting the car up on 4 jack stands is not that big of a deal. I was worried about that too the first time I did it. Since then I've done it 3 times.

The only problem that I have is that the jack stands dug holes in the asphalt on my driveway. Now I use steel plates under the jackstands.

I don't know about mixing a little of the paint at a time. I gues as long as you measure it carefully, it would not be a problem either.

While you are waiting for the paint to dry, clean the inside of your wheels as well as you can and then apply a few coats of wax. This will help keep the brake dust off the wheels. I do this one or 2 times /year when I rotate the tires.
Old 8/25/06, 08:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by odiaz
I thought the G2 red was very close to the torch red. Here's a picture:

Have any pics showing the whole side of the car?
Thanks!
Old 8/26/06, 10:14 AM
Bullitt Member

here's a picture from the side but its an older picture before I had the spoiler, mirrors and antenna hole filled in and painted.

Old 8/26/06, 01:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Looks Great
Old 9/7/06, 08:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Here is a new pic of my calipers:
Old 9/8/06, 02:23 PM
Bullitt Member

SlowJoe...... still got extra SVT decals? I would be interested..... sent you a e-mail, Thanks! Dave
Old 9/8/06, 04:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'll check......I may have a few. Do you need two or four?
Old 9/8/06, 05:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by slowjoe24
Here is a new pic of my calipers:

Fookin' GORGEOUS!!!!! Calipers look great. Is that just a tint panel in the upper windshield? Just can't beat a clean black machine! Awesome.
Old 9/8/06, 05:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks!! The front tint strip is a 20% smoke and the side are the 35% Silver reflective.
Old 9/8/06, 06:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by slowjoe24
I'll check......I may have a few. Do you need two or four?
4 if you got 'em..... Thanks!
Old 9/9/06, 11:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I got them ready to mail to you! Keep us posted with pics of the calipers after you get them painted and decals installed. See Ya, Joe
Old 9/9/06, 02:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Definately Will! Thanks again Joe! Dave
Old 9/11/06, 06:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

What a great mod/personalization. I did mine over the weekend, one wheel at a time. You just need a few baby food jars to mix the paint & reactor. Don't use a plastic cup, it will melt! You will also need extra brushes because once the paint hardens on them they are trash. Paint thinner or gas is useless to clean them. Luckly I didn't need the car this weekend because of the drying time required. note: when you get this paint on your hands it does not come off very easily, I used Chlorox bleach on a rag to clean the paint off my hands. Down side - I still have to wait another 12 hrs before I can take it out for a spin.
Old 9/11/06, 07:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Did mine in Red over the weekend. No way you can get a complete coverage with the caliper on. I'm going to order another kit and do it again when I change pads (maybe the Hawk upgrade). Errant brush strokes drove me crazy! TIP- If you use different brushes, make sure the glue holding the bristles is compatible with the paint. My first caliper has bristles all over it. The brush that comes with the kit is cheap, but spreads the paint well. Looks OK with the wheels on.
Old 9/11/06, 11:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Lessons learned................

Good Tips guy's!
Old 9/11/06, 12:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AFChief
Did mine in Red over the weekend. No way you can get a complete coverage with the caliper on. I'm going to order another kit and do it again when I change pads (maybe the Hawk upgrade). Errant brush strokes drove me crazy! TIP- If you use different brushes, make sure the glue holding the bristles is compatible with the paint. My first caliper has bristles all over it. The brush that comes with the kit is cheap, but spreads the paint well. Looks OK with the wheels on.
What kind of brushes are you sugesting? I'll have to pick up a couple before i get started.... I am still waiting for my kit anyway. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 9/11/06, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

The brush provided is an "Acid Brush", basically made for harsh chemicals. I thought it spread well making for quick area coverage and smooth application.

I started out with a "Artist Brush" set (Rubbermaid?) from the Wal-mart paint section and the bristles fell out. Short of removing the caliper (moving this mod from "easy" to "Pain in the ***") I would go ahead and do some masking. Not sure what solvent to use for clean up, but the brake cleaner (toulene) eats rags making for a bigger mess. Do Not use lacquer thinner around the pads of rotors.

I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my Mustang, so the errant paint drives me crazy. Funny though, I got some paint on my watch band and I've been showing it to everyone saying "Here is what my rotors look like. Ain't it cool?"
Old 9/11/06, 06:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Lol! sounds like pretty strong stuff, i was sent a tracking # from fed-ex today, my kit is due here tomorrow, so i'll be able to prep for this..... sounds like I'll have to be sure i'm ready for this because like you i am very miticulous when it comes to this sort of thing, however i have no intention of removing the calipers, so i'll be sure to mask everything off best i can.
From the looks of the kit picture, it looks like hobby brush with the metal handle, is that what it is? It also looks the same as the flux brushes we use for pipe soldering..... If that's all it is i have a bunch of those already.... come to think of it the bristles hold up quite well, we usually use them with epoxy for our r/c planes.

Hey be sure to post of some pix of your finished Watch paintjob...... Ahh, I mean Caliper paint Job! LOL!

Quick Reply: G2 Kit used to Paint My Calipers