Fuel Door Advice

Search this Thread

Old 8/18/06, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where TF did that come from...
Old 8/18/06, 06:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sonic Im just wondering where you saw the SHR piece?

I saw it in person at a meet we did at race rock here near Orlando. Not only did I see it and handle it, some of the other mustang owners had them on there cars. It is definetly a solid piece, no slack in the door or closing mechanism that might cause a rattle and the magnet is so strong that when the door gets close to the frame of the door it snaps shut from the strength of the magnet. On the cars that I saw it sat flush with the body lines and did not stick out or was it recessed it seemed just right, and all the other SHR ones I saw fit the same. The last ill say is it is deffinetly made from quality billet and had no rough edges or imperfections I could see or feel from machining.

So thats my review of the product. I know there are many others happy with there purchase that could chime in.
Old 8/18/06, 07:46 PM
GT Member

Hey Hill, I seen the pieces on a car here. I've seen better work. That's my opinion. Don't worry most people will love it on your car. You don't have to justify your purchase to me, just yourself.
Old 8/18/06, 08:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

For sake of comparison could you list this better work, give a link? Maybe some pics of it on and off of a mustang. I havent actually bought the door yet as stated before. My pockets are not bottomless and I have to be careful when I splurg for my mustang usually working overtime to get new toys.
Old 8/18/06, 08:54 PM
GT Member

I gave the link on page one of this thread as far as knockoff fuel doors go. For the money, I believe it to be comparable to the SHR one.
Old 8/18/06, 09:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok well out of everyone posting on this thread you are the only one that thinks its cheap and not worth it.
Old 8/18/06, 09:43 PM
GT Member

If it makes you feel better, I believe you should get one. I can tell that you need this to make you feel better about your buying decision. Maybe, next, I can get you on Pimp my Ride.
Old 8/18/06, 09:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

billet fuel door

Originally Posted by GTinCT
Hello all,
I'm looking for a billet fuel door that will work nicely with my Satin Silver GT with bright machined aluminum 17" wheels. I don't think that I want a bright chrome finish, probably something more subtle.
Any suggestions for a newbie? This'll be one of my first exterior mods.
Thanks in advance.
Go with the brushed alum. chrome will not work with satin.
heres a link where I got mine.
http://www.autoaccessory4u.com/bifudo.html

I dont have a pic on this pc to upload.(sorry)
Old 8/18/06, 10:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just put the SHR on mine. got it in the Black. The thing that impressed me about it, is that it is heavy duty. Installed in just a few minuets, no rattles, ( I have a vert, you can hear everything around the car). And the magnets are pretty stout. IMO I like it, Don't think anyone would be disapointed with one
Old 8/19/06, 12:04 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonic Thunder
If it makes you feel better, I believe you should get one. I can tell that you need this to make you feel better about your buying decision. Maybe, next, I can get you on Pimp my Ride.
Wow. Real mature there. He asked you to bring some facts to the discussion, and this is the response you come back with....

Trolling trolling trolling....

I guess we should all drive 1994 Civics, after all, for the money they are a comparably cheaper mode of transportation.

When you would like to compare apples to apples in terms of fit, finish, quality of manufacture, (heck even country of manufacture), materials used, etc... we'll be here. And I'm guessing we will let our products stand on their own merits, without any marketing "aircraft styling" hype.

Until then, I don't feel there is anything else to add to the discussion, and as much as I'd like to, I will refrain from dragging myself, or my company, into this.

If anyone needs any facts, drop me a line.

Opinions, well, Sonic has that about covered.
Old 8/19/06, 06:43 AM

Well said.
Old 8/19/06, 07:27 AM
GT Member

SHR- I guess you can't figure something out without reading between the lines, as I find the Ford Racing one was as GOOD if not better than yours. I stated this, with me reminding the firefighter to look on page one of this thread and gave the link. He is an adult and makes his own decision according to personal taste on what goes on his car. I don't need to have ram it down this throat, what he likes or needs. I don't operate that way. I do, however; have the onions to say my opinion. Sorry, you thickskinned fellow that this must still bother you. I know this by your attack on me for stating my opinion about your fuel door. I did not say everything you made or sold was garbage so it can't be taken as an attack on your buisness. Now if you sold it for a more reasonable price for what you were getting, then maybe I could see buying it for it's fit and finish. Your drastic markup on a piece does not justify it being of superior quality. Especially when I can get a first CAD drawing for about 60 bucks an hour and a "one off" for another $50 and that's the initial prototype. I just don't see paying for your fit and finish for someone who has access to these services knows it can be done cheaper and passed on to the consumer in this forum. Making money I have no problem with, but IMO you should be ashamed. For this reason, I believe your fuel door is overpriced for it's fit and finish.
Old 8/19/06, 08:02 AM
Cobra R Member

[quote=Sonic Thunder] I can get a first CAD drawing for about 60 bucks an hour and a "one off" for another $50 and that's the initial prototype. I just don't see paying for your fit and finish for someone who has access to these services knows it can be done cheaper and passed on to the consumer in this forum.

If you can why don't you go for it , and get off SHR's back. They provide a great service here, have superior customer relations, and go out of their way to answer any questions. Lets see if you can provide that cheeper.
Old 8/19/06, 08:21 AM
V6 Member

Gentlemen...GENTLEMEN!
Pleeease, let's all remember we're on the same team.
Look at us...fighting amongst ourselves. Very distressing. We're playing right into their hands don't you see?!!
I implore you to find a way to a more creative happy median. All the energy wasted on personal taste(lessness) can only destroy our bond.
Mustangs forever!!
Now come on...shake hands and lets get on with it.
Old 8/19/06, 09:20 AM
GT Member

Your right AL1356...Sorry...enuff said.
Old 8/19/06, 09:26 AM
Legacy Tms Member

If you can do the following:
  • Set up a real company
  • Pay all your corporate taxes
  • Pay your insurance, payroll, s.s taxes
  • Pay your utilities
  • Pay your rent
  • Pay your accountant, patent attorney, business attorney
  • Pay your employees / contractors.
  • Pay for fixturing (you being in the "know" should know what this is)
  • Pay for waste disposal (coolant, mixed chips, etc) and regulatory fees
  • Pay for finishing and assembly
  • Pay for packaging (box, instructions, catalog, bubble wrap, tape, labels, etc)
  • Pay to do all of it in the USA
  • Pay to have a car available to prototype on, along with most of another car in pieces.
  • Pay to have a tow rig and trailer setup to take to shows and events.
  • Pay to prototype the parts (Hint - the first one normally is not a sellable item)
  • Pay to produce parts in quantity
  • Pay to inventory said parts so they are here when someone calls
  • Pay advertising (magazines, Internet, our own website, other websites, shows - that's by the sq. ft.) so people know you exist
  • Set up distribution, and allow dealers to profit from their efforts.
  • Answer the phone when a customer calls - means actually having a phone dedicated (in our case, 3 800#'s, 3 regular)
  • Ship the product in a timely manner, even overnight if the customer has to have it the next day.
When you can do all that for less money, please let us know - as you say, that's the "capitalist system".

Sure I've got a bit of a skin for this, but when you flat out come across and say we are gouging customers, that's just taking it too far, and you were insinuating it prior to flat-out saying it - I was able to read between the lines pretty easily. (it was pretty much in bold print)

We wish the prices could be lower. But that is the price it takes to insure the product is here today, tomorrow, and available from over 30 dealers in two countries now. Tomatoes don't cost 2.00 a pound to grow in your backyard, but that's the price of them when you go to the store to buy them - why?

The above is why it's a far cry from making one 1 (or 10 or 20) through the backdoor of the machine shop. And if you are going to do that, please don't splash our design, you obviously have a better design in your head that should cost less. There's a reason nobody else is producing them the way we are for less money - one or two of the items from above might be part of it....

Of course, all of the above is just marketing hype, right?

And to everyone who is reading this, I'm sorry if it sounds as if I'm going overboard on it. But I personally wondered a lot of times why things were the way they were in the market until I got on this side of it. Ever since, I've tried to be as open and forthcoming as possible with everyone, so people know how and where we stand on things. We stand by our pricing as fair and equitable to everyone, and don't apologize for what it is. Obviously there are choices in the marketplace, and anyone is free to decide to go to whomever they wish to supply them as they see fit. Hopefully, our quality, service, and manner in which we treat our customers makes us your choice, but if not, we understand.

* On edit - this response took a while to compose, so I missed the last two messages - I think we are done with this as well.
Old 8/19/06, 09:36 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by official_style
should i get a black anodized on my black/black gt?! i cant decide!
Thanks to SHR and Sonic for their eloquent restraint.

So...black anodized on black? That's what I'd like to see on my own.
Old 8/19/06, 09:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by AL1356
Thanks to SHR and Sonic for their eloquent restraint.

So...black anodized on black? That's what I'd like to see on my own.
Agree, used to like lots of chrome, but I also had long hair and bell bottoms ( it may be back in style, but I'am not going there..lol). I now like more of the stelth look, with a bit of flash.
Old 8/19/06, 10:41 AM
GT Member

SHR, I can and would if other obligations didn't hamper me. As soon as they are done, we might just be competitors.
Old 8/19/06, 10:59 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Do what you have to. Just remember to take time to reply to us little guys when you are dominating the market.

Quick Reply: Fuel Door Advice