05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Fuel Door Advice

Search this Thread

Old 8/7/06, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Door Advice

Hello all,
I'm looking for a billet fuel door that will work nicely with my Satin Silver GT with bright machined aluminum 17" wheels. I don't think that I want a bright chrome finish, probably something more subtle.
Any suggestions for a newbie? This'll be one of my first exterior mods.
Thanks in advance.
Old 8/7/06, 12:16 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by GTinCT
Hello all,
I'm looking for a billet fuel door that will work nicely with my Satin Silver GT with bright machined aluminum 17" wheels. I don't think that I want a bright chrome finish, probably something more subtle.
Any suggestions for a newbie? This'll be one of my first exterior mods.
Thanks in advance.
Brushed Aluminium would look nice...

http://www.silverhorseracing.com/products.htm

Old 8/7/06, 01:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

should i get a black anodized on my black/black gt?! i cant decide!
Old 8/7/06, 03:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by official_style
Yeah,

that looks bad donkey!
Old 8/7/06, 06:36 PM

black anodized for me

Old 8/7/06, 07:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

how exactly does this bad boy attatch?
Old 8/8/06, 09:36 AM

TacoBill has a set of pics from his installation here:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...oor%20install/

Thanks for the advice.
I ordered the brushed aluminum, no lettering, from Silver Horse. Pics after installation.
Old 8/8/06, 01:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Silverhorse billet is TRUE NO BS BILLET....

100% Made in the USA - no apologies necessary - supporting the American Dream.

I have their products on my car and am doggoned proud of it...
Old 8/8/06, 08:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by rtleslie
Brushed Aluminium would look nice...

http://www.silverhorseracing.com/products.htm
agreed. and on satin silver, it will give you the subtle look you want...
Old 8/8/06, 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

aaahhh i cant decide if i want the black one on my black car
Old 8/15/06, 08:34 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL - Thanks guys I appreciate it.

New website is up, that's where I've been for a week and a half....

Installation instructions for our products are now in the "how to" section of the site so you can see how easy it really is to install, and we'll be adding installation write-ups of some products soon as well (I have freelanced for the magazines in the past, so this is just an added feature we'll do as time allows)

Any other questions, just ask.
Old 8/16/06, 07:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have tungsten and im thinking of going with black accents. Black stripes (maybe the boss look since I have a cdc shaker),black rims,black fuel door, black rear window louvers, black spoiler, blacked out trunk panel. Think that would look good?
Old 8/16/06, 10:17 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by official_style
My 2 cents...
Black anodized on a black Mustang.
Old 8/17/06, 09:03 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by FireFighterHill
I have tungsten and im thinking of going with black accents. Black stripes (maybe the boss look since I have a cdc shaker),black rims,black fuel door, black rear window louvers, black spoiler, blacked out trunk panel. Think that would look good?
Well I think it would, but then again, I'm kind of biased in my opinion

Seriously, it adds accent to a lot of the lighter colored cars, to do blackouts here and there on them. Chris (the guy with the red 01 at the last event) has an 05 that he has a lot blacked out - it's a legend lime car, but looks good with the black wheels, fuel door, honeycomb panel, etc... and now he's doing a black rear medallion and black stripes to go with it all.
Old 8/17/06, 09:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Marcello, Im deffinetly going to get the fuel door from you. And whatever else I need that you carry. Im planning to paint the black outs though. Wont be anytime soon, im really low on cash, my 6 month insurance is due.
Old 8/18/06, 05:32 AM
GT Member

I like the Ford Racing Fuel Door and it's cheaper.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9113
Old 8/18/06, 09:50 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Thunder
I like the Ford Racing Fuel Door and it's cheaper.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9113
Not a problem, to each his own. Liking one product over another never has bothered me, and you will find that I encourage customers to choose what works for them. Eventually we will make something most customers will like of ours.

However, that said, throwing the "and it's cheaper" comment out there begs a response. Considering the differences between our products and others on the market, you should think about the following:
  • You get what you pay for. We make no guarantee to be the lowest price product on the market, we do however strive to have the highest quality piece on the market, bar none, and charge what we feel is a fair price for it, without making our customers hurt in the wallet. To quote, "Quality will be remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." - That statement is not lost on someone like me who has been in the hobby since 1987, and remembers all to well when the cheap parts broke, didn't fit, or didn't work from the beginning, and were just money wasted.
  • Our customers realize they are buying something that is designed to last at least as long, if not longer, than the car they are putting it on. We are not in this for "repeat business" where you are forced to replace our product every year or two as the weather and elements beat it into submission. We do however hope that once our customers have seen the quality of one of our products, they will know what to expect in future offerings of ours.
  • There is a big difference between true-billet aluminum components and "billet aircraft styling"
  • There is a difference between gravity or clamshell casting aluminum and machining a product from solid 6061 T6 billet. (In this case two billets per finished door)
  • Stainless hardware throughout vs. whatever works will make a difference in the long run. Also, even our magnets and striker plates are plated for a long, rust-free life.
  • Still lighter than the factory fuel door it replaces.
  • Hand assembled, loc-tite used throughout, and hand inspected both before and after assembly vs.?
  • All of our components (with the exception of the chrome plating) are anodized for a long, maintenance-free life. Ask the other guys what they are doing.
  • Everything we do, from raw material to packaged and shipped final product occurs here in the USA. Ask where it all occurs for "other" brands. And I'm not talking about just labeling or assembly, we take it from raw stock to complete here, using American jobs, labor, and technology.
Anyway, I just thought some people might want to consider why our products are what they are and why we are priced in this case slightly higher than some of our competition. In other products, like our Honeycomb Panel, we actually are the "low cost" option, while still adhering to all the same manufacturing principles as above (where applicable). Sorry if this seems like an attack, it's not. I just like for people to make an informed decision, and some of the facts above may help them make that choice. Again, this isn't personal, just noting some of the differences that some customers may or may not be aware of.
Old 8/18/06, 05:26 PM
GT Member

Don't worry Silverhorse, I don't take it as an attack. I have seen your "quality" work. I was not that impressed with the workmanship to justifiy your price. That said, if Im going to buy an inferior product, I might as well not pay a premium price. I figure consumers have a right to know that too IMO. Some like your wears and will continue to buy them. It is not my cup of tea for my ride. It's capitalism at it's best. Good Luck!
Old 8/18/06, 05:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh all the knock-offs I've seen none compare to SHR looks the best and I saw a piece in person on and off the car and the piece is solid and looks great. If my pocket was alittle deeper Id already have bought it.
Old 8/18/06, 06:08 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Wow... maybe I should have spec'ed out titanium instead and made it a functional dry-break setup.

Well, like I said, to each his own. I'm sorry that you don't feel our work is worth the added expense, and hope that the workmanship you receive in your future purchases exceeds your expectations, whoever it may be from.

I've never thought we were charging customers unfairly, given the costs involved in bringing low-production, high quality products to market. I stand by my previous post without any modification.

I'm glad I've learned to have a thick skin about some of this stuff, otherwise I might take "I was not that impressed with the workmanship" type comments personally...

Oh well...

Quick Reply: Fuel Door Advice