05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Fitment Issue - 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/06, 03:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoFL05GT
Unfortunately, shortly after installing my 3d Carbon GT500 Spoiler, I noticed that it does not fit well along its forward edge. A gap has formed on both sides, but more so on the passenger side. The double-sided tape can’t even keep it together. If fact the tape is releasing leaving some attached to the deck lid and some attached to the spoiler. I followed the instructions very carefully, including only hand tightening the two bolts. It would appear that this why the OE Shelby GT500 spoiler utilizes four bolts/studs for attachment. These comments were forwarded to 3dCarbon last Friday, and still no response from them. Following are some close-up pictures:

peel it off....apply new 2 sided tape to the spoiler, clean really good then let the car sit in the sun with the spoiler in its place ( with the tape not peeled on the car side) if its warm enough where you live you will be cool with doing jsut that that ...you will notice as the spoiler heats up in the sun ( if its cold where you are use a blow dryer in an enclosed area) it will lie down and follow factory lines...then peel and stick.....looks to me like it was cold when you put it on and somewhat rigid...the stuff thats made out of if warmed will do exactly what you want it to...fwiw
Old 11/24/06, 03:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hireman
peel it off....apply new 2 sided tape to the spoiler, clean really good then let the car sit in the sun with the spoiler in its place ( with the tape not peeled on the car side) if its warm enough where you live you will be cool with doing jsut that that ...you will notice as the spoiler heats up in the sun ( if its cold where you are use a blow dryer in an enclosed area) it will lie down and follow factory lines...then peel and stick.....looks to me like it was cold when you put it on and somewhat rigid...the stuff thats made out of if warmed will do exactly what you want it to...fwiw
The guys at 3D Carbon pretty much told me that no matter what happens, the revision 1 spoilers will lift at the edges no matter what you do, sooner or later. The new design apparently fixes this.
Old 11/24/06, 07:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TexaStang
I talked to 3D Carbon last week again, and they offered to send me a newly revised version of the spoiler. It uses the 2 bolts, plus 2 more bolts on the outlying egde that will have to be drilled through the trunk, to prevent the ends from trying to come up. It should be here next week, and I'll let you guys know how it went.

My advice is to talk to 3D Carbon and ask about getting the new 4 bolt version if you are having problems with your current spoiler.
Thanks TexaStang! As you know, in my case, re-sticking the spoiler helped some, but it still lifted on the passenger side end.
I'll give 3dCarbon a call.