05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Fitment Issue - 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 8/17/06, 05:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fitment Issue - 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler

Unfortunately, shortly after installing my 3d Carbon GT500 Spoiler, I noticed that it does not fit well along its forward edge. A gap has formed on both sides, but more so on the passenger side. The double-sided tape can’t even keep it together. If fact the tape is releasing leaving some attached to the deck lid and some attached to the spoiler. I followed the instructions very carefully, including only hand tightening the two bolts. It would appear that this why the OE Shelby GT500 spoiler utilizes four bolts/studs for attachment. These comments were forwarded to 3dCarbon last Friday, and still no response from them. Following are some close-up pictures:

Attached Thumbnails Fitment Issue - 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler-dsc02467.jpg   Fitment Issue - 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler-dsc02468.jpg   Fitment Issue - 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler-dsc02472.jpg   Fitment Issue - 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler-dsc02469.jpg  
Old 8/17/06, 05:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Yikes! That's the spoiler that I'm looking to order- in fact, I was going to order it earlier today; now maybe not.

Has anyone else had this problem? I know there are several other people on this board that have this spoiler and I haven't heard of a problem until now.

Could you still use the remaining two factory openings to screw or bolt up into the bottom of the spoiler??
Old 8/17/06, 05:28 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by SoFL05GT
Unfortunately, shortly after installing my 3d Carbon GT500 Spoiler, I noticed that it does not fit well along its forward edge. A gap has formed on both sides, but more so on the passenger side. The double-sided tape can’t even keep it together. If fact the tape is releasing leaving some attached to the deck lid and some attached to the spoiler. I followed the instructions very carefully, including only hand tightening the two bolts. It would appear that this why the OE Shelby GT500 spoiler utilizes four bolts/studs for attachment. These comments were forwarded to 3dCarbon last Friday, and still no response from them. Following are some close-up pictures:
ah, you're the first person i've seen had this problem with the spoiler. Did you properly clean the lid? i.e. did you use goo remover to remove the other spoiler's adhesive, did you use dawn soap to remove wax, did you clean the area with rubbing alcohol, finally, did you use adhesive promoter before installing the tail?

i'll be getting that spoiler soon so if you did properly clean the area and applied the correct applications, then i may have to think of a better way of getting it to stay on, like using glue or something.
Old 8/17/06, 06:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by tom281
Yikes! That's the spoiler that I'm looking to order- in fact,
Could you still use the remaining two factory openings to screw or bolt up into the bottom of the spoiler??
I'm hoping that 3dCarbon will offer some remedy. I wish that it could be somehow attached at all four points, same as the OE Shelby spoiler.
Old 8/17/06, 06:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Anomalus1
ah, you're the first person i've seen had this problem with the spoiler. Did you properly clean the lid? i.e. did you use goo remover to remove the other spoiler's adhesive, did you use dawn soap to remove wax, did you clean the area with rubbing alcohol, finally, did you use adhesive promoter before installing the tail?

i'll be getting that spoiler soon so if you did properly clean the area and applied the correct applications, then i may have to think of a better way of getting it to stay on, like using glue or something.
I completely removed the adhesive that held on the original spolier, with adhesive remover. There was no wax to remove with Dawn. I did clean the area with rubbing alcohol and apply the adhesive promoter that was supplied. 3dCarbon had already installed the double-sided tape to the new spoiler side, which also separated. The tape can only do so much. It appears that the spolier just doesn't fit the deck lid well enough. I hadn't heard of anyone else with this problem.
Old 8/17/06, 06:20 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
**** Steve I'm sorry you gotta deal with this......

Hope it gets rectified real quick!!!
Old 8/17/06, 06:26 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by SoFL05GT
I completely removed the adhesive that held on the original spolier, with adhesive remover. There was no wax to remove with Dawn. I did clean the area with rubbing alcohol and apply the adhesive promoter that was supplied. 3dCarbon had already installed the double-sided tape to the new spoiler side, which also separated. The tape can only do so much. It appears that the spolier just doesn't fit the deck lid well enough. I hadn't heard of anyone else with this problem.
that sucks, have you thought about drilling two holes for the other bolts and attaching them?
Old 8/17/06, 06:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to here you are having a problem with your spoiler. So far I haven't had any problem with mine. How big a gap is that? Mine stuck like a glove. Maybe yours had bad double side tap and you may have to do a re-install.
Old 8/17/06, 06:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Burke0011
**** Steve I'm sorry you gotta deal with this......

Hope it gets rectified real quick!!!
Dave, Yes I hope it gets resolved soon. You know all that tape will be a PITA to remove!
Old 8/17/06, 06:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Mangler
Sorry to here you are having a problem with your spoiler. So far I haven't had any problem with mine. How big a gap is that? Mine stuck like a glove. Maybe yours had bad double side tap and you may have to do a re-install.
The worst gap is on the passenger side, which is 3/16th of an inch or about 3 times the thickness of the double-sided tape. Definitely not fitting like yours.
Old 8/17/06, 06:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Anomalus1
that sucks, have you thought about drilling two holes for the other bolts and attaching them?
I'll consider something like that if 3dCarbon doeesn't help. With a little force, the spoiler can be pushed down pretty flush, because it has some flex to it, maybe too much flex.
Old 8/17/06, 08:41 PM
V6 Member

having a black car in the hot sun might have something to with it.
Old 8/17/06, 10:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had a similiar problem. Plain and simple I didn't put enough pressure on those sides to make good adhesion.

I removed the spoiler again, remove the tape, applied adhesion promoter to the vehicle, and remounted the spoiler providing adequate force and duration to give the tape a chance to stick.

No problems since.
Old 8/18/06, 04:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by TexaStang
I had a similiar problem. Plain and simple I didn't put enough pressure on those sides to make good adhesion.

I removed the spoiler again, remove the tape, applied adhesion promoter to the vehicle, and remounted the spoiler providing adequate force and duration to give the tape a chance to stick.

No problems since.
TexaStang, Thanks for sharing your experience. I did properly apply the adhesion promoter and apply a good amount of pressure all along the leading edge and ends. The tape initially stuck. However, by later the next day, after sitting in the garage all day, the spoiler started lifting away. Where the tape didn't came loose, it has stretched to about twice its thickness to allow some gap. In a couple areas the tape didn't have to stretch, because it separated from either the spoiler or the deck lid.
I still have not received a response from 3dCarbon.
Old 8/18/06, 07:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

I called 3dCarbon and had a response and a fix within around 20 minutes. They even sent me an extra roll of tape and more adhesion promoter in the mail free of charge.
Old 8/18/06, 07:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by TexaStang
I called 3dCarbon and had a response and a fix within around 20 minutes. They even sent me an extra roll of tape and more adhesion promoter in the mail free of charge.
I didn't call 3dCarbon, instead I sent an email to KC at Clevenger, who immediately forwarded it to 3dCarbon. I followed up with KC and he said 3dCarbon would be contacting me, which never happened. I guess I should call 3dCarbon directly, like you did. Thanks again for sharing your experience.
Old 8/18/06, 12:46 PM
GT Member

I hadn't noticed it yet, but after reading this post I checked mine that I installed 1 week ago. Sure enough, it's pulled up a bit on the leading edge on each side with the driver's side being the worse of the two. I thought I had done everything right and everything looked good initially.

Just got off the phone with 3dCarbon, who advised that I unstick and restick the spoiler. They're going to send tape and adhesive promoter as well. I'm going to get a friend or two to help this time, so we can gorilla press this sucker down this time.
Old 8/18/06, 02:16 PM
Bullitt Member

I was considering this spoiler but do to my car being black and always in the Texas sun I guess I'm going to give it up. Does anyone know the Price difference between the OE GT500 spoiler and the 3dcarbon or even just the price of the OE one? Sorry about your spoiler man, good luck.
Old 8/18/06, 02:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the paint shop install mine and no problems. My trunklid had been freshly scuffed, striped, and recleared a few days before so no chance of wax or residue on my trunk. Sorry you are having those issues.
Old 8/19/06, 08:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

I called 3dCarbon directly last night. They are sending me more tape and adhesive promoter as well. They said sometimes people don't line up the new spoiler just right. It's very important that the inner radius of the rearmost portion of the spoiler fits just right against the trunk lid, otherwise, it doesn't lay totally flush. As soon as I do the re-install, I'll let you guys know if the problem is corrected.

Quick Reply: Fitment Issue - 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler