05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Fitment Issue - 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/06, 10:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by SoFL05GT
I called 3dCarbon directly last night. They are sending me more tape and adhesive promoter as well. They said sometimes people don't line up the new spoiler just right. It's very important that the inner radius of the rearmost portion of the spoiler fits just right against the trunk lid, otherwise, it doesn't lay totally flush. As soon as I do the re-install, I'll let you guys know if the problem is corrected.

Good luck!
Old 8/19/06, 12:03 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the main reason why I decided against anything that relies heavily on tape. The humidity and heat here wreak havoc on that stuff. i'm going with the LEGEND spoiler cuz it utilizes all 4 bolts and looks kick ***. Hope you get your problem resolved.
Old 8/19/06, 04:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the 3 piece version and no problems...once in place, I DID leave some weights on each end of the leading edge to make sure that it stuck well...

I will be keeping an eye on it, though...
Old 8/23/06, 05:08 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,808 Likes on 2,078 Posts
I have Forwarded this Forum to 3d Carbon. This Is the first Issue I have had with this Spoiler and I have sold quite a few. 3d Has always had Excellent Customer Service in my experience and I know for a fact they are very concerned about Customer satisfaction. I apologize if they did not get back to you via email as quickly as you would have liked but if their emails are like mine they probably have a backlog. I believe they will handle your Concerns to your Satisfaction.

KC
Old 8/24/06, 06:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
I have Forwarded this Forum to 3d Carbon. This Is the first Issue I have had with this Spoiler and I have sold quite a few. 3d Has always had Excellent Customer Service in my experience and I know for a fact they are very concerned about Customer satisfaction. I apologize if they did not get back to you via email as quickly as you would have liked but if their emails are like mine they probably have a backlog. I believe they will handle your Concerns to your Satisfaction.

KC
I waited patiently for a reply from 3dCarbon for almost a week before posting my delima. However, when I called them directly, they seemed helpful. They explained that a few seem to have similar problems, which 3dCarbon attributes to improper application of the tape and adhesion promoter or proper alignment of the spoiler with the deck lid. They said they were sending me new tape and adhesion promoter, so I can do a reinstallation. However, last Monday, I noticed in the daylight that there's some slight warpage on the surface of the spoiler, which has a slight sunken-in look, near the area doesn't fit close to the deck lid. I sent 3dCarbon some pictures. They tried to reach me by phone on Tuesday and left me a message that after looking at the pictures, they weren't sure what I was talking about. I returned their call, but was only able to leave a message to call me again. So far, they haven't called back. This morning, I re-sent the pictures, with the problem areas circled. Following are the pictures. First one shows the gap on the passenger side and the others are of the surface, with the problem area circled.
Attached Thumbnails Fitment Issue - 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler-dsc02484.jpg   Fitment Issue - 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler-dsc02485-circled.jpg   Fitment Issue - 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler-dsc02487-circled.jpg  
Old 8/24/06, 08:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bennyandthejets
I was considering this spoiler but do to my car being black and always in the Texas sun I guess I'm going to give it up. Does anyone know the Price difference between the OE GT500 spoiler and the 3dcarbon or even just the price of the OE one? Sorry about your spoiler man, good luck.
Ben I live in Houston and have the spoiler. No problems and I didnt even use the tape. It is garaged kept.
Attached Thumbnails Fitment Issue - 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler-3d-003.jpg  
Old 8/24/06, 07:48 PM
GTR Member

its hard to see in those pics.why not ship it back and see what happens??
Old 8/31/06, 04:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 05stangkc

KC
KC, Still no word/help from 3dCarbon. I leave messages on their Tech Line, but no one trys to call me back. You are mistaken, they obviously don't care about customer satisfaction! What do you suggest I do??
Old 8/31/06, 06:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by SoFL05GT
KC, Still no word/help from 3dCarbon. I leave messages on their Tech Line, but no one trys to call me back. You are mistaken, they obviously don't care about customer satisfaction! What do you suggest I do??
Well, 3dCarbon finally returned my recent call to them, which was earlier today. They are going to send tape and adhesion promoter, so I can re-stick the spoiler. They said, it seems when they send out the spoiler to be painted, that the paint shop installs a skinner tape, like 3/8". They recommend using a wider tape, like 1/2", which they are sending me. I hope this works.
Old 8/31/06, 07:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let us know what happens. I'm anxious to see how 3D Carbon's cure for this problem actually works. So far my spoiler is staying put, but you never know what will happen with a little age.
Old 8/31/06, 07:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One More Reason to purchase the Shelby GT500 rear spoiler

KC Just got a few of them in. Place your orders before they go
Old 8/31/06, 08:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm surprised to hear about problems with the 3dCarbon spoiler. I've had mine on for several months with no problems. Fits pretty well and hasn't developed any gaps. And, we get pretty hot here in Eastern Washington. Like 105-110 in August.
Old 9/1/06, 05:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Northwest GT
I'm surprised to hear about problems with the 3dCarbon spoiler. I've had mine on for several months with no problems. Fits pretty well and hasn't developed any gaps. And, we get pretty hot here in Eastern Washington. Like 105-110 in August.
Hi NW GT,

I really don't think it's a heat issue, at least with mine. Instead, mine just doesn't fit like a glove, like I'm told others fit. It actually lifts a little on each side, so the tape has to do more than just stick and seal, instead, the tape needs to pull the spoiler down to the deck lid, which is asking too much of the tape. Maybe the wider tape will work, maybe not. If I could do it all over again, I would purchase the OE Shelby GT500 spoiler, that secures with 4 screws/studs.
Old 9/1/06, 05:32 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bennyandthejets
I was considering this spoiler but do to my car being black and always in the Texas sun I guess I'm going to give it up. Does anyone know the Price difference between the OE GT500 spoiler and the 3dcarbon or even just the price of the OE one? Sorry about your spoiler man, good luck.
I had asked about this a while back. I can't remember exactly, but the OE GT500 spoiler only comes unpainted, and I believe it was around $100 more than the unpainted 3DCarbon spoiler. I had thought that the 3DCarbon made more sense, given the identical look and because it comes pre-painted. I have now revised my opinion, and will just wait on it until I decide to get other stuff done, such as the stripes painted and a new hood, etc.
Old 9/1/06, 07:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by schmads
I had asked about this a while back. I can't remember exactly, but the OE GT500 spoiler only comes unpainted, and I believe it was around $100 more than the unpainted 3DCarbon spoiler.
KC posted last night that the OE Shelby GT500 just came down in price by around $80, so its cost (unpainted) is not that much different than the 3dCarbon equivalent. Wish I had waited and bought the OE one, especially for this new price.
Old 9/2/06, 08:48 AM
V6 Member

the gap on the ends is the exact problem i had with the center section of my 3 piece. 3d sent me more tape and adhesion promotor. tried to reinstall it again....same issue as SoFL05GT. bought more tape & adhesion promotor locally......same issue. each time i spent more time prepping the surface. after 3 attempts the stock spoiler is back on. doesnt look as good as the 3d but i'm done messing with it.
Old 11/19/06, 09:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Resurrecting a dead thread, but, my spoiler has again continued to lift up at the seams after the second fitting. I had two buddies the second time apply vigorous pressure to both sides, at this point though I'm probably going to have to take it to a body shop and have them attempt to properly attach it. I don't know what else to do. Either that, or, have a shop fill the holes from the stock spoiler and just go without one.
Old 11/20/06, 05:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

I re-installed mine with new tape provided by 3dCarbon, making sure the spoiler was aligned perfectly, and it lifted again on the passenger side, but not as bad as it was before. I guess I'll have to live with, because 3dCarbon isn't going help. Again, if I only knew about this poor fitment, I would have gladly spent a few more $ and gotten the OE GT500 spoiler that attaches with four bolts and better tape!
Old 11/20/06, 08:19 PM
Big Falken Tires

DANG it (edited) That pi**es me off!!

Its obviously a bad piece you got and no amount of tape or promoter will fix THAT.......

Ticks me off.....

Sorry you are having to deal with this, Steve.....

(BTW - I like your avatar!)
Old 11/24/06, 03:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

I talked to 3D Carbon last week again, and they offered to send me a newly revised version of the spoiler. It uses the 2 bolts, plus 2 more bolts on the outlying egde that will have to be drilled through the trunk, to prevent the ends from trying to come up. It should be here next week, and I'll let you guys know how it went.

My advice is to talk to 3D Carbon and ask about getting the new 4 bolt version if you are having problems with your current spoiler.

Quick Reply: Fitment Issue - 3dCarbon GT500 Spoiler