05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Finally installed my Eibach Pro springs

Search this Thread

Old 6/19/05, 12:03 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I've had these springs sitting around for almost a month. Right after they came in, I ended up (very unexpectely) in the housing market. Moving is SUCH fun. Unpacking is almost as unpleasant as moving the stuff!

But anyway, I decided that today was the day that my baby finds her way back down to earth and losses that 4x4 stance. After a bit of head scratching, I finally got the passenger side strut out and compressed the spring.

Thats when things got "interesting". Somehow, while removing the upper strut bearing retaining bolt, I seperatated the strut bearing! I noticed it when I repositioned the upper part of the bearing and it make a loud click. It was pretty evedent that something was wrong when I could see the ball bearings in the strut bearing on one side but not the other. And not all the ***** were in the right place. Oh boy.

After I quit cussing, I got a nice, white clean cloth to put the strut on while continued removing the bearing/spring retainer. Once I got it all the way off, things didn't look that bad. It appears the upper part of the bearing is just snapped into the lower part of the bearing with the ***** and there races in between the two parts.

I cleaned up the bearings and added a bit of grease to the race (to replace that which I had to wipe off the *****) and started to drop the ***** back into position into the lower portion of the bearing assembly. After that all the ***** were in the right place, the upper portion of the bearing just dropped down and snapped back into place.

After getting all the springs replaced (I did not have any trouble with the driver side strut bearing assembly), I took it out and put several miles on it. Both bearings are quite and solid as ever!

The Eibach Pro springs are GREAT! It really dropped the car down and put it where I want it: Not to high, not to low. The ride is great. It is a bit harsher than stock, but I only notice it on certain types of bumps (a sharp rise). Just rough pavement doesn't really feal any harsher than stock was. It does seem to be a bit better planted now and it tracks as perfectly as ever (still need to have the alignment checked. Just in case).

I'm happy with this modification.
Old 6/19/05, 01:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice write up, now I'll be the one:
Old 6/19/05, 09:19 PM
Cobra Member

Sorry FireDragon. I was too busy trying to not wee in my pants to think about taking some pictures. And for some reason, I'm not willing to pull a strut off and take apart the bearing to get some pics...

I do want to take a few pics of my car and post them after I get it cleaned up and a few more coats of Zaino on it. It's due.
Old 6/20/05, 06:44 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Congrats, now go and get a wheel alignment done
Old 6/20/05, 09:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by RRRoamer@June 19, 2005, 9:22 PM
Sorry FireDragon. I was too busy trying to not wee in my pants to think about taking some pictures. And for some reason, I'm not willing to pull a strut off and take apart the bearing to get some pics...

I do want to take a few pics of my car and post them after I get it cleaned up and a few more coats of Zaino on it. It's due.
Sorry, that's what I meant, pics of the car after lowering. Still undecided if i'm gonna go Eibach or Steeda Springs. I know the Eibachs drop a little lower.
Old 6/20/05, 09:51 AM
GT Member

I had the exact same thing happen to me, twice. IT happened the first time I took them apart, and the third time. It was pretty easy to fix though. What a stupid design if you ask me.

-Andy
Old 6/20/05, 04:32 PM

http://img44.echo.cx/img44/3815/picture2686wa.jpg

This is the sportline spring. Its actually a little to low for my tastes but I like them better than stock and am too poor to buy a new set that sit a little higher. Lets just say that I am keenly aware of every speed bump within a 20 mile radius of my house.

EDIT: i dont know how to post a picture that isnt giant size so had to link it. The back end looks to be sitting funny because its on a part of the pavement that has a tree roots growing under it and its all bumpy
Old 6/20/05, 07:22 PM
Cobra Member

Ok guys. I'll try to get the car cleaned up and a few good pics taken this weekend.

I can say that I love the ride height. It is just right as far as I am concerned. I have a ton of those "high speed" speed bumps at work (the 15-20mph kind) and I do not bottom out at all even at my "normal" speed over these bumps.

There is still one place I want to test: the back way out of one of our local Sonics. It has a STEEP curb. If I hit anywere, it will be there.