05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Fading Stripes: Take 2 - All interested get in here!

Search this Thread

Old 3/16/08, 12:43 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
count me in for black also no lettering. pm me when you want the money order.
Old 3/16/08, 12:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
I explained it a few posts back, but basically, black and white are opaque. The colored ones wouldn't be fully opaque, even before the fade. On anything other than white, the color of the car will show through the stripe. I'd love to be able to sell them in every color. But it just won't work the way you would want it to.

The reason I'm not fully understanding is, color does not show through when you have colored full stripes on colored cars. So what is the difference with the fade. The only thing thats different is the fade part where you expect to see the factory color through.
Old 3/16/08, 12:58 PM
V6 Member

I suppose I should have been more patient. The fade looks sharp.
Old 3/16/08, 01:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Redfireshaker06
The reason I'm not fully understanding is, color does not show through when you have colored full stripes on colored cars. So what is the difference with the fade. The only thing thats different is the fade part where you expect to see the factory color through.
Because regular vinyl stripes like you purchase from BSM are colored vinyl. They're fully opaque and die-cut. Because of the fade, these are thermal printed on clear vinyl. So the color is printed on them.

That's the information that I've been given from the printer. And, in good consious, I cannot sell a colored stripe to someone with a car color other than white. I would not feel good about selling a stripe to someone for $75, and not have it look right. I want you guys to be happy with these.

Tally Update:
Black 12
White 6
Silver 2
Red 1

Last edited by DarkFireGT; 3/16/08 at 01:08 PM.
Old 3/16/08, 02:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok, thats the info I needed. Thanks man. To bad I don't think black would look good on my car
Old 3/16/08, 05:02 PM
Cobra Member

can someone throw a rocker white rocker stripe on this?

Old 3/16/08, 05:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by officespace56
can someone throw a rocker white rocker stripe on this?
Attached Thumbnails Fading Stripes: Take 2 - All interested get in here!-whitestipe2.jpg  
Old 3/16/08, 05:47 PM
Cobra Member

Please remove my tally/order, I have found something else lined up.

Last edited by officespace56; 3/23/08 at 03:23 PM.
Old 3/27/08, 07:33 AM
Bullitt Member

any update on this?
Old 3/27/08, 09:07 AM
Cobra R Member

Contacted the sign person the other day. He has responded today. I've got a few more questions to ask to make sure this can be done right.

As with the previous set, since I'm not the production person, it can't be an overnight thing. There has been enough interest, though, for me to safely front the money for the project, so I will not be requesting the money up front.

I'll let you guys know when I know anything more.
Old 3/27/08, 10:45 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I explained it a few posts back, but basically, black and white are opaque. The colored ones wouldn't be fully opaque, even before the fade. On anything other than white, the color of the car will show through the stripe. I'd love to be able to sell them in every color. But it just won't work the way you would want it to.

You might want to talk to the guy making these. That statement is not 100% correct. I use to work in the sign business so I know the process used to do the fade. He is most likely using thermal transfer to apply the colour to the decal. I always used white as a primer. All he has to do is set the colour he wants to end up with and tell the software that a primer is required. It will lay down the white, then go through the process of telling which colour cartridges to use to get the final colour. Black and white are no issues. Basically just look at is as if it were an inkjet printer. He will have 1 or 2 variations of Cyan and magenta. He will also have yellow, black and white. Some colours can be produced where you will not really see any dpi effect from up close. Others, for example if you wanted to print red, if you get close (within 18" or so) you would see some coloured dots (black, magenta, etc) that make up the colour.

So that being said, if he used a primer the car colour would not show through. I just thought I would put a little more info in here for you to clear it up a bit as I didn't see any comments that explain exactly why it would not work. Man, I wish I was still in the business.

Last edited by adrenalin; 3/27/08 at 10:49 AM.
Old 3/27/08, 10:59 AM
Cobra R Member

If I had all the equipment, I'd figure out a way to do it. I understand what you're saying, and that makes sense to me. Any clue on what a thermal printer that could run this would cost? And you're correct, he's using a thermal transfer process.

If I can get 5 people wanting the same color, I'll bring this to his attention, and try to get a color for you guys.
Old 3/27/08, 11:04 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Gerber Edge is your best bet. They work great. However after you buy all of the materials, software, etc you would probably be looking at over $30,000.00 new. I was at an auction where I could have snabbed one up for $11,000 CAD that included 20 cartridges. Oh how I wish I had kept bidding.
Old 3/27/08, 11:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Here's my plan, guys. I'm going to buy 12 black sets and 8 white sets to start with. Once I get half of those or so sold, I'll be able to order more. Since this is the board that started it all, this board will be given priority to the stock. I'm taking a loan on my 401K to make this happen, so I can only afford to get 20 sets to start with.

I've also decided to take pre-orders, to help fund the project. As of this moment, my paypal account will only be used for the stripes. All pre-orders will receive $5 off, so the price will be $70. Not sure what the cut-off date will be, but I will post it shortly. If you would like to pre-order, send $70 paypal to stanggt03@gmail.com or fadingstripes@gmail.com Be sure to indicate your shipping address and black or white.

If something happens, though I can't see anything happening now, but if something happens and the stripes are not produced, you will be refunded fully.
Old 3/27/08, 11:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Definatley interested in the Black NO lettering. Also, if anyone is interested, I have a set that have Mustang on the fender in black. See THIS THREAD . I ordered a set of just black but they sent me the wrong ones. Now their not replying to any of my emails about sending them back. If anyone is interested in buying them off me PM me.
Old 3/27/08, 11:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Also, I will be included a plastic squeegee for application ease with each order.
Old 3/27/08, 03:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I would pre-order but ONLY when a production date is firm and committed to. No offense meant and I hope you don't take any, but I've done pre-orders before where my money was tied up for weeks/months and then refunded without product.

Still want a set of white, NO lettering or anything. Just plain ol' white.
Old 3/27/08, 03:53 PM
Cobra R Member

No worries here. Not a requirement at all to pre-order.
Old 3/27/08, 06:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm taking a loan on my 401K to make this happen, so I can only afford to get 20 sets to start with.

I've also decided to take pre-orders, to help fund the project. As of this moment, my paypal account will only be used for the stripes. All pre-orders will receive $5 off, so the price will be $70. Not sure what the cut-off date will be, but I will post it shortly. If you would like to pre-order, send $70 paypal to
PayPal sent for a white set
Old 3/28/08, 12:32 AM
Bullitt Member

DarkFireGT, I will make paypal payment this weekend for you for two sets of black plain ones.
Just let me know if you can shipped them international or you rather prefer that I will point my friend in Colorado who will forward to me. I would prefer your direct delivery Europe-Poland
Let me know.

I understand that the cost of transport we pay later - now only for stripes?

Quick Reply: Fading Stripes: Take 2 - All interested get in here!