05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Ducktail Choices..

Search this Thread

Old 6/23/05, 12:19 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RedDominion@June 23, 2005, 10:46 AM
acadian, I wanted to ask you how did you install the SSE? Did you bolt or 3M? I have also seen some pics of the CDC and it seems it has a slight gap in between the middle and side peices up top. It looks like the peices for the SSE are more flush than the CDC up top. Your thoughts?

At first I just used the supplied 3M tape and that held up fine for weeks. It was very flush and fit really well. I recently added the screws to the main ducktail and will eventually add a screw into each of the side pieces... just for added security. I definitely don't think it needs the screws though. Also, when I installed it (alone) it was a 16th of an inch off here and there. So, when I add the screws, I can push the ducktail a certain way when I screw them in so that it will adjust the ducktail to get it sitting perfect. By the way, I do not recommend installing it by yourself. It was a pain in the you know what. I was impatient and couldn't wait 6 hours for my wife to get home.
Old 6/23/05, 12:31 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by acadian@June 23, 2005, 12:22 PM
At first I just used the supplied 3M tape and that held up fine for weeks. It was very flush and fit really well. I recently added the screws to the main ducktail and will eventually add a screw into each of the side pieces... just for added security. I definitely don't think it needs the screws though. Also, when I installed it (alone) it was a 16th of an inch off here and there. So, when I add the screws, I can push the ducktail a certain way when I screw them in so that it will adjust the ducktail to get it sitting perfect. By the way, I do not recommend installing it by yourself. It was a pain in the you know what. I was impatient and couldn't wait 6 hours for my wife to get home.
Your wife helps you with installs?

How cool is that? Sounds like a keeper...
Old 6/23/05, 01:06 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by 245/45ZR-17@June 23, 2005, 1:34 PM
Your wife helps you with installs?

How cool is that? Sounds like a keeper...
My wife is great. She helped me build our house, as well as helps me with my side job of building fences on the weekends. And yes, she helps me with car projects if I need her. She also takes care of detailing the inside of the car while I do the outside. We should all be so lucky, huh? :worship:
Old 6/23/05, 02:20 PM
V6 Member

Realized there was another post here in this forum about the SSE spoiler and the designer, good read, lots of good info. It looks like I am set on the SSE. Just wish they had the option to block the third brake light and provide an install up in the window. Time to start saving money and this will be my next modification.
Old 6/23/05, 02:38 PM
FR500 Member

Patrick, you can always have your paint/body shop fill the 3rd brake light hole prior to priming and painting it. This was brought up on another thread. How much more could it really cost to have the shop plug/bondo that hole if they are going to be painting it anyway? Maybe $25? Then, you could buy just the LED third brake light from CDC, or I believe you can buy universal LED brake light kits that would work. If you want the SSE ducktail for it's looks, but don't want the 3rd brake light, this is an option.
Old 6/24/05, 12:20 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by acadian@June 23, 2005, 1:41 PM
Patrick, you can always have your paint/body shop fill the 3rd brake light hole prior to priming and painting it. This was brought up on another thread. How much more could it really cost to have the shop plug/bondo that hole if they are going to be painting it anyway? Maybe $25? Then, you could buy just the LED third brake light from CDC, or I believe you can buy universal LED brake light kits that would work. If you want the SSE ducktail for it's looks, but don't want the 3rd brake light, this is an option.
Well, I guess I'll pose this question to a selected body shop. I don't plan to order the spoiler just yet, money kinda tight now. Maybe in a couple months there may just be a revised SSE.
Old 6/24/05, 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RedDominion@June 24, 2005, 12:23 AM
Well, I guess I'll pose this question to a selected body shop. I don't plan to order the spoiler just yet, money kinda tight now. Maybe in a couple months there may just be a revised SSE.

Well it is going to be atleast next weekend before pictures of the BBR LNR whail tail will be posted, I talked to Keanon today and he is shipping my rear bumper cover around the middle of next week, He asked me to hold off on posting pictures until I have the rear bumper piece to complete the kit. Once the rear bumper comes and we put it on the car, I'll post in progress pictures and once we get it painted I'll post completed pictures of the car, Both interior and outside and under hood. So again please accept my apology for not posting the pictures any sooner. I promissed Kip that I would wait until the car is finished, So I'll keep my word to him.
Old 6/25/05, 12:11 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hurry up james.... I want to see the tail....NOW
Old 7/1/05, 01:06 PM
I Have No Life

UPDATE?!?!
Old 7/1/05, 02:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Boomer@July 1, 2005, 1:09 PM
UPDATE?!?!

Sorry , Still no update, I have'nt heard from Keanon this week as promissed, So your guess is as good as mine. Keanon is a perfectionist and wants it just right,He won't release it until it is. I believe he's working on it, So maybe not much longer and I can finish my car, I'd just like to drive it on weekends again! I have'nt been able to drive it latly. Just wish me luck! I promiss you I need it! Believe me this is getting old, I just want to finish this project or atleast the outside of the car, under hood performance mods will be later.
Old 7/3/05, 09:12 AM
I Have No Life

Alright man...JUST checkin up on you
Old 8/3/05, 01:45 AM
V6 Member

Just curious, is SSE considering making a gap-free ducktail? I like the 3rd light up in the window 10x better.
Old 8/3/05, 10:26 AM
V6 Member

Mike from Street Scene has said that his lawyers wont let him for legal reasons with brake light laws in California... Cross your fingers, he might get around that one day I hope
Old 8/3/05, 07:39 PM
FR500 Member

I have mentioned this before, but if you like the look of the SSE ducktail but don't want the third brake light, just have your paint shop fill the hole and bondo it all smooth before they prime and paint your ducktail. I'm sure most paint shops would do this for next to nothing since they'd be making money on painting the spoiler.
Old 8/20/05, 07:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey Mustang Mike...How's abut putting the running pony tribar on the SSE Ducktail? It really gives character to the back end!
Darth

:jedi:
Old 8/20/05, 11:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Wow great thread!! SSE is my favorite for all the said reasons.
Im just wondering if water can get in the area of the 3rd brake light and get stuck inside the ducktail.

I did call SSE today to find out a the price since its not listed on the site that I could see. http://www.streetsceneeq.com/product_popup...3021&rid=&img=2
I got some females voicemail and left my # and email. No reply, maybe closed on saturday at noon.

Cal-Mustang carries the SSE and is offereing 2.99 shipping on the 25th and 26th! saves about 32 bucks! they want 295 for the SSE
Old 9/20/05, 01:59 AM
V6 Member

Its coming close to the end of the year, and that means adding a spoiler! I've gone back and forth on the CDC & SSE, but after long debate, I've decided CDC. (hehe, last time I was here I said SSE) Why CDC? Simple, its the smoothest looking spoiler from the back. When I thought SSE, I liked the taller tail, but the 3rd brake light showing just didn't look right. It seemed to break the lines of conformity from the rear. I was hesitant about installing a 3rd brake light in the window for CDC, but the more I look at CDC from the back, the more I know I'll be making the right choice.
Old 9/21/05, 06:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well my rear replacement bumper has finally arived and I'll be posting pictures of my finished car next weekend. I'm just fine tuning everything before repainting.
Old 11/1/05, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by Blk'05@June 6, 2005, 10:03 AM
You just contradicted yourself in that explanation...you think the 3rd brake light "interrupts the retro look" yet you like the "ultra modern looking light"
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
We all seem to agree that the CDC & SS tails are the nicest but I'd like to put in my 2 cents that the Thalon is the ugliest piece of *$#@ I've ever seen.
Old 1/3/06, 12:02 AM
V6 Member

Its been a year that I have been saving my money and contemplating on which spolier to get. I finally got to see both the SSE and CDC ducktail in person and the final vote is for: CDC

Simply, it looks the smoothest from the back. When I go back and look at old comparison pictures the very first one that sticks out is the smooth back of the CDC. Now, when you scrutinize every aspect of each spoiler, there are some items that I wish CDC could improve on. I would make it taller and more flush by the bumper. I would give the CDC a score of 93 (-5 for making it too short and -2 for the flush). The SSE I would give a 90, simply losing -10 for leaving in the third brake light, very unretro. If SSE would simply fill in the 3rd brake light, they would score a perfect 100. So I won't have my ideal spoiler, but I will settle with the next best thing; CDC. Be placing my order this Friday, can't wait!

Quick Reply: Ducktail Choices..