05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Ducktail Choices..

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/05, 08:10 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Mustang Mike 05@June 7, 2005, 8:10 AM
I like the Street Scene one the best- Its better looking, ( just like the the guy who runs Street Scene) molds in better, Great quality but most of all, the guy who runs that company is a great guy...and humble...
Very funny BTW, I did not realize you ran the company ... nice to see you taking charge and working with us Your product line happens to be my fav. I am just waiting on mirrors (hint)

-Bryan
Old 6/7/05, 09:12 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Forgot one Ducktail here, the Westrenz/3DCarbon Ducktail. Although they're not shipping them yet (I've been on the waiting list for at least 2 months) they are supposed to start soon.

The Xenon was left out too. I don't have any pictures of that one though.
Old 6/7/05, 12:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

The Westrenz spoiler looks somewhat similar to the Shelby, except a bit smaller and rather than a one piece, its three pieces (I think). Looks good though!
Old 6/7/05, 02:03 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Mustang Mike 05@June 7, 2005, 9:10 AM
I like the Street Scene one the best- Its better looking, ( just like the the guy who runs Street Scene) molds in better, Great quality but most of all, the guy who runs that company is a great guy...and humble...

By the way, who has the CDC spoiler and is 100% happy with the lip down by the bumpers on the two end pieces? I am curious. The CDC ducktail I saw on an '05 in Vegas was really bad in person. And when nobody on the lot was looking I tried to lift the flap up and it came up about a quarter of an inch. The lip on the SSE is so close to the car, that from about 3 feet away, you can't even tell there is a lip at all. And it is so tight, I couldn't get a needle in there if I wanted to.

And to the person saying we don't need third brake lights... a friend of mine was actually hit from behind last year because his third brake light was out. I know older cars didn't have them, but nowadays so many cars do that you get used to looking for them. If you are driving around when it's raining or semi-dark while people have their lights on, but it's not dark enough where if they hit the brakes the brake lights are not going to be significantly brighter, you may not see their brakes come on. Or like me who drives around all the time with my driving/fog lights on. All it takes is for someone to look away for that split second where you hit the brakes, and then they look up and see your tail lights but assume that they were your driving lights that were already on. By the time they realize you are stopping it may be too late. I'll take my brand new SSE ducktial over a crushed CDC one anyday.

Edit: By the way, why do you think they came up with the third brake light, and now put it on every new car? Because a lot of rear end crashes happened because of not having one. Do the research. Just because some of us are very aware when we drive, 95% of the population is not. And having the third brake light that ONLY comes on when you step on the brake, well definitely help one of those people from hitting you. There comes a time when you have to choose safety over looks. Of course, I personally like the look of the SSE ducktail better. So, it wasn't even a question for me.
Old 6/7/05, 02:12 PM
Cobra Member

Well put acadian

-Bryan
Old 6/7/05, 02:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah! What Acadian said! You speak the truth brother! Plus the guy who runs Street Scene is better looking than the guy who runs CDC so take that!
Old 6/7/05, 02:54 PM
FR500 Member

Yeah, you definitely got to take into account the guy who makes the product as well. For me, being a guy and not able to judge such things like Mike's sexual appeal, I judged this by the fact that the TMS member Jessica Rabbit went to Mikes shop and afterwards said she would go again. To me, this means Mike is a good lookin' guy. Jessica Rabbit has not even gone to CDC's shop once, and as far as I know has no plans to do so. Therefore, I had to go with Mike's spoiler.
Old 6/7/05, 02:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Who says sex doesn't sell! Does everyone think I got this far from brains?
Old 6/7/05, 04:40 PM
Bullitt Member

What Acadian said.

Oh yeah, and Mike - I gave you props way back in post #5 of this thread. I agree that you are a great guy. I have to admit... I didn't know you were good looking. I think I will leave that kind of assessment to Jessica.

By the way... I need to talk to you about getting the ducktail. I have had my car a couple months now, but I've been too busy driving it to stop and put on a spoiler.
Old 6/7/05, 04:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey Moze- stop by or call anytime- you forgot about the part that Im humble also.... and if Jessica says anything diffrent, she lies...
Old 6/7/05, 05:10 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Right now my vote is for None Of The Above.
I wish I could combine several of them and make one that actually looked like the original California Special and Shelby spoiler.
As stupid as the Thalon spoiler looks, they did get one thing right. The back side of it is flat.
If I put the CDC, SSE, Thalon, and Westrenz all in a blender and mixed them up real good, do you think I'd come out with one that looks like the ducktail spoiler is supposed to?

BTW, Is Cervini using the SSE spoiler? If not, what's different?
I know this has been discussed before but I forgot the verdict.
Old 6/7/05, 05:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by jayguy@June 7, 2005, 8:15 AM
Forgot one Ducktail here, the Westrenz/3DCarbon Ducktail. Although they're not shipping them yet (I've been on the waiting list for at least 2 months) they are supposed to start soon.

The Xenon was left out too. I don't have any pictures of that one though.

Here's a shot of the Xenon . . . .
[attachmentid=23589]
Old 6/7/05, 10:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Stang-nut I dont know about the Cervinis duck tail- Id have to see it up close but it sure looks like its almost an exact copy of ours. It has the same bow in it which I thought made ours unique.. I guess if you cant beat them, join them...
Old 6/8/05, 01:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Mustang Mike 05 I like your SSE spoiler, main thing is it retains third brake light, and looks good doing it. How is it attached to the trunk , bolted or just taped on?

I have to wait for money to add one , I was thinking I would have the body shop paint it and mold it to the car so it looks original. Unless that overkill, Acadian , since you have one on do you think it needs molded to the car or does it look fine just mounted and painted as is?

And as for none of these spoilers loking like the original 68 Shelby spoilers, I wonder how far off an original Shelby spoiler would be to fit onto the back of our 05, you know would it be too much work fabing or moddifying one to fit? Or would it even look good on our o5 at all? Do we have any photochoppers out there that could take an original Elenor/68 Shelby rear duct tail and put it on one of our 05s and see how close or far off it fits?

And VegaJay and Pstu102727 I wonder if that Eleneor pic might have used original Shelby side scoopd cause they sure look like them with the rear opneing and all. Im wondering if orginal side scoops would even fit our 05 or not? That might be worth checking into also.
Old 6/8/05, 10:23 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by runfox@June 8, 2005, 2:06 AM
Acadian , since you have one on do you think it needs molded to the car or does it look fine just mounted and painted as is?
Personally, I think molding it would be overkill. Not sure if you can mold rubber to metal anyway. I guess you could, but the ducktail looks fine how it is. You see a line there where it connects to the car, but there are lines all over the car... between the trunk and the rear fenders, the rear fenders and the doors, etc. Next thing you'll want to do is weld/mold the doors like the General Lee and climb through the window to get in. In the end, it's a spoiler, and like all spoilers today they are attached to the car, and you are going to see the lines. Just like if you add quarter window louvers or a chin spoiler. The line is minimal though, which is all you can ask for. It blends in well with the car.
Old 6/8/05, 10:47 AM
Cobra Member

I really wish I would have gotten NO spoiler so I could have the ducktail Too later unelss someone finds a better way than popin's.

-Bryan
Old 6/8/05, 11:54 AM

Tim,
Unfortunately, the rear of the '05 curves too much to use the real Shelby ducktail. A '68 is almost straight across.
Old 6/10/05, 04:06 PM
V6 Member

Well, looks like CDC and SS are the popular ones. I guess after all that deliberation, still cant decide. Xenon, sorry never liked it, you too thalon. CDC looks so good straight on from the back, it think that is due to the missing brake light.

SSE looks good all the way around. (Mustang Mike 05... thanks for the awesome product) but I did read your post about not legally being able to sell a version of yours without the 3rd brake light. Could SSE package a filled in one with something similar to CDC's LED light thing and get around the law that way? Because SSE, with a filled in 3rd B.L. hole, would be the best looking product out there. C'mon Mikey.. I know you want to make it....

Anyways, I photoshop'd a pic of Acadians car without the light (been bored lately). I think it looks great. And you know, Cervinis is starting to look ok too, wish someone had some larger pics or close ups of all their parts. Someone?

And lastly... BBR... "flamin ponyexpress" I know you have a new product that we are all itching to see. Just hoping the install is going well and cant wait to see some shots. With BBR's LNR kit looking so good, I assume this will be awesome too.
Old 6/10/05, 09:52 PM

Ian,
Check out these new pics of the Cervini spoiler.
First, how does yours compare from the back?
Notice how it follows the shape of the trunk (vertically) and then goes into a very sharp curve.
Old 6/10/05, 09:54 PM

Now how does it compare from the side?
Height?
Amount of curve on the front side?

Quick Reply: Ducktail Choices..