05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Cowl hood and stripes?

Search this Thread

Old 8/14/07, 09:04 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cowl hood and stripes?

Has anyone seen a GT with a cowl hood and stripes? I've looked all over and can't seem to find any. I have an 07 Alloy with a cowl hood that I've been trying to figure out if stripes would work with it. I love the looks of the stripes, but it seems like I would have to get some pretty narrow stripes to stay in the middle of the cowl. I just haven't seen any to really know for sure.

I was thinking of some gloss black stripes. I don't want anything that stands out too much, which I think black would fit just fine. I also understand that painted stripes are typically the way to go, but since I'm still on the fence with this, I'd be willing to invest in the vinyl then later get it painted if I like it, or take them off if I don't.

Here's a pic of what I'd be putting it on, I'm no photographer, so sorry if the glare is bad...

Any thoughts? Think it would be worth pursueing? Let me know what you think, good or bad, I'm just tossing around the idea and could use some opinions. Also, I have been throwing around the idea of switching out the wheels for some DD black 18" Bullitts, which I thought would look good with the stripes.

And yes, I am part ricer, the wifes car is a blast to drive on some back twisty roads!
Old 8/14/07, 09:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Thought about a super snake stripe?
Old 8/14/07, 09:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now that is a nice ride, stripes would set it off nicely.
Old 8/14/07, 09:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh yea.... stripes would look badass....

i would do black stripes. put them 1" from each side of the cowl to a 2" gap in the middle. that would look sweet. maintain the size all down the car and it would really offset the cowl and make it look sweet.
Old 8/14/07, 09:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

here you go....

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=69685
Old 8/14/07, 10:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

A member named dhof303 has a sonic blue steeda hood with 10" white stripes, but most of his threads are old and the pics have been lost. His website is www.mipmotorsports.com but the pics aren't the best. Maybe he would send you some.
Old 8/15/07, 12:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

this is my favorite, i do not know who this is but i have to give them credit for an awesome idea
Old 8/15/07, 06:56 AM
GT Member

Thanks everyone for the props and the suggestions!

Originally Posted by backafter20
A member named dhof303 has a sonic blue steeda hood with 10" white stripes, but most of his threads are old and the pics have been lost. His website is www.mipmotorsports.com but the pics aren't the best. Maybe he would send you some.
You're right, the pictures aren't the best, but I still get a good idea of what they would look like. The stripes kind of bleed over the edge of the cowl, which I wasn't sure how I would like it. Interesting...

Originally Posted by n8rfastback
Definately badass man, thanks for the link. The only thing is it looks like your cowl is wider than the Steeda cowl, so it seems like it might be a little easier to line them up, or even go with a wider stripe. Still gives me a great idea of what they would look like though.

Again, I appreciate the input. I think I might just get them and see what happens!
Old 8/15/07, 08:15 AM

Personally, I don't think you're car needs stripes. It looks great as is. Also if you're going to get another set of rims, I'd say stay with a polished look cause they really set off the Alloy. Unless you're trying to make youre car look more subtle then by all means go with black.
Old 8/15/07, 08:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
this is my favorite, i do not know who this is but i have to give them credit for an awesome idea

Yeah I've seen that car before. Its a real nice piece. As for the topic of the thread. I like the SS strips.
Old 8/15/07, 03:03 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2006GT500
Personally, I don't think you're car needs stripes. It looks great as is. Also if you're going to get another set of rims, I'd say stay with a polished look cause they really set off the Alloy. Unless you're trying to make youre car look more subtle then by all means go with black.
That's why I keep going back and forth on the stripes. I like the look of it without them, but I keep seeing different cars with them and love that look as well! At least with the vinyl, I could easily remove them if I don't like them. I know $139 isn't cheap, but I'd be willing to pay that to experiment and see if they work.

I've been milling over the wheels and I think you're right, I think I might still change to something wider since these aren't but 8.5" wide, but I'm going to stay with the polished. I've still got a while before I'll be changing them out, until then, I'm happy with what I have, just thinking ahead.

Originally Posted by JonCo
Yeah I've seen that car before. Its a real nice piece. As for the topic of the thread. I like the SS strips.
I agree, that car is nice, but not quite what I'm looking for as far as stripes.
Old 8/15/07, 06:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Keep the wheels,very nice looking ride.The metallic color of the car really flips on the body lines.
How about a stripe that is as wide as the cowl with some 1 inch tracers on the hood and deck lid?
Old 8/15/07, 06:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Geeeez, what did you use on your rims to get them so bright?
Old 8/15/07, 09:43 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Poco
Keep the wheels,very nice looking ride.The metallic color of the car really flips on the body lines.
How about a stripe that is as wide as the cowl with some 1 inch tracers on the hood and deck lid?
Well, that sounds ok, but it almost sounds kind of like the picture previosly posted where the silver stripe goes up the width of the whole cowl. I'm not entirely sure that's what I had in mind. Correct me if I'm wrong, that's just kind of what I'm pictureing.

Originally Posted by GPStang06
Geeeez, what did you use on your rims to get them so bright?
They are the chrome wheels, not the "polished". In 07, they offered two different styles, well more than that, but as far as the polished, there is the chrome and then the ones that are more bright shiney silver, if that makes sense.

No disrespect if you knew that, but as far as chrome polish, out of the 5 or 6 I've used, Blue Magic in paste form is what I found to go on and buff off the easiest. Mothers chrome polish was the worst, I actually had to spray some quick detailer on my wheels just to get the dried product off. It would not buff off as soon as it dried.

Originally Posted by backafter20
I've been in touch with him and he pointed me to this picture on modularmisfits.com, that's kind of what I was talking about how it covers up the front edges of the cowl. His are painted on, 10" wide, 2" space...

Old 8/16/07, 05:36 AM
Cobra R Member

Here are some more pics of Dhof's car...
Attached Thumbnails Cowl hood and stripes?-paint-finished-001.jpg   Cowl hood and stripes?-paint-finished-002.jpg   Cowl hood and stripes?-paint-finished-004.jpg  
Old 8/16/07, 06:15 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by red454
Here are some more pics of Dhof's car...
Thank you! Those are the exact pics I was looking for!

I saw the ones on his website, but these are a much better resolution.
Old 8/16/07, 07:02 AM
Cobra R Member

Actually these were about 1.5 megs each - great resolution.

If you email Derek, I'm sure he would send you the originals...
Old 8/16/07, 08:58 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by red454
Actually these were about 1.5 megs each - great resolution.

If you email Derek, I'm sure he would send you the originals...
I did, but he didn't have them available to send to me. Thanks again!