05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Concept style hood scoops: straight or slanted?

Search this Thread

Old 3/2/19, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concept style hood scoops: straight or slanted?

Hello, I'm planning to buy a hood looking like the 2005 concept:

I found three of them.
Kaenen (or SpeedForm?) on American Muscle (currently out of stock, can't find another website selling it):

Trufiber on CJ Pony Parts:

Cervini on Stage 3:

As you can see all scoops are slightly different: the Kaenen are straight, while Cervini's are closer to the front than Trufiber.
Also Cervini has a ram air kit, they claim it improves the throttle response and horsepowers but I have some doubts about it.

I can't find a Concept hood top view to find which one is closer to it, what are your thoughts on them?
Old 3/2/19, 11:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
None of them are 'close' because they are cowls, whereas the concept simply had the scoops in them. Also, the *HAVE* to make a tweak here and there or Ford gets mad. Which is why you see the cowling having differences in how they rise/flow, and where the scoops are.

So it will just come down to which one you like better. There will be fitment issues with all of them. Read the reviews, and hope that gives you enough information to make as educated a choice as possible.

For what it's worth, I think the AM one has the nicer 'rise' form than the other two. But if you can't get it, you can't get it. On the ram air Cervini... meh. It might, it probably won't. You'd be better off with a CAI. But that said, if the scoops are open on all, that kit will save you some engine clean up and water infiltration a little more...

I'd probably get the Trufiber. I dunno, on the car, it looks nice.

For what my thoughts are worth on it, there ya go. Good luck!
Old 3/6/19, 12:52 AM

Thanks for your answer
I also found the very cheap Duraflex Dreamer Hood, but on this review the fitment seems really bad.
I think I will go with Cervini, it's definitely the most expensive option but I believe it will be the best quality/fitment I can get. Also it includes relocated squirters.

About intake, for a while I thought about the Western Motorsport intake which could pair really well with Cervini's cowls.
But do I need a tune even for a CAI? I bought the
K&N air filter K&N air filter
but I haven't installed it yet, I heard this kind of air filters could decrease the performance of "regular" cars because the engine needs a tune, is it the same for a Mustang?
Old 3/7/19, 11:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,022 Posts
I'd avoid the cheap one, go with Cervini or Truefiber, I believe they both have pretty good reputation.

The "ram air" is a Cold Air Intake, meaning it draws cold air from outside the hot engine compartment. The idea of "ram air" -- meaning there is positive pressure pushing the air into the intake -- is appealing, but I don't think you will really get much in that location. If there is an intake that matches up to the hood, that is probably about the best you can get. But beware of water coming in, I am not sure how the design deals with that.

A new tune is needed if the diameter of the Mass Air Flow metering section is changed, from factory or from whatever you had before. This has nothing to do with how much are is coming in; it is because of the way the EFI system works. If you just change the panel filter, but do not change the tube diameter where the MAF sensor sits, then no tune is needed.

Last edited by Bert; 3/7/19 at 11:04 AM.
Old 3/11/19, 04:34 PM

I still have a lot to learn, so please correct me if I'm wrong. From what I understand, the tune is needed if the air tube diameter changes because the air/fuel ratio is not right anymore.
But why are you saying how much air is coming is not relevant? Does it mean installing a CAI without a tune is useless?
Old 3/11/19, 08:22 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Of those you posted I vote for the Cervini. Nice looking hood and they have a great reputation.

Don't know much about either of these companys

But this one is close to the concept design you are looking for... No cowl on this one.
https://www.lmperformance.com/5716/1...r-hood-v8.html

They have other designs on the site as well.

Here is a carbon fiber version too that is a non-cowl hood style...
https://www.octanemotorsports.com/20...-p-139023.html

Another along these lines is a Super Snake style hood. Not quite the same as the concept, but similar look... Found a few photos with a 2006 and this style hood. Looks pretty sharp.

Cervini makes one in this style, as do many others.

https://www.cervinis.com/05-09mustan...h-louvers.html

Really not trying to sway you one way or the other. They all look very nice. Good luck...

Last edited by shaneyusa; 3/11/19 at 08:26 PM.