05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Adding stock spoiler to my 2005

Search this Thread

Old 3/30/19, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding stock spoiler to my 2005

Good Day mustang members

Trying to install stock rear spoiler on my 2005. My car did not come with the original spoiler. Purchased stock takeoff from eBay. I need the pattern where to drill the four holes. I know the area to drill because I found pictures online. Can someone tell me exactly where to drill? Don't want to make mistake.
Thank you Wally
Old 4/1/19, 10:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
https://www.roushperformance.com/med...275-manual.pdf

If you look at Figure A, you'll see the cutout area on the underside of the trunk. This you already know, I believe? The holes appear to be slightly 'rearward' of complete centerline of that cutout (aka, the holes are shifted to the rear of the vehicle a little bit, instead of being equal distances from front to back of that cutout.)

Bearing in mind, of course, the camera angle, lighting, and such may mean what I see in this picture is NOT what is actually happening, but it's pretty close, I'd say.

So. With that, what you do is... guess.

No seriously. Get thee a piece of cardboard. Full width of the trunk, and tape it down so it does NOT move. Aligned with the back edge of the trunk, and as more wide than the wing is. Big enough the studs of the wing can be on it and not touch the trunk, and still allow movement back/forth/side/side.

Then place the wing on it. You'll want someone to help you and keep it steady when you place it on the trunk.

Eyeball it. Understanding the height is wrong, you're going for the back/front alignment, mostly. BOTH sides, but of course, the side to side is important. Measure the rear studs to the rear edge of the trunk, get them *exactly* the same.

Once you get that done, you've taken your best guess.

Push the studs into the cardboard to dent them. There's your measurement.

Measure three or four more times.

Then... go for it. Punch out the holes of the cardboard. Tape the trunk (BOTH SIDES) with good holding automotive masking tape. Then center punch the trunk through your new template. Then get to drilling. I'd use a small drill, then work my way up to the correct sized hole.

Install wing. Remember to use double sided tape on those legs, as it'll help to prevent it from damaging itself and the trunk as it bounces around on that trunk.

---

The other options are thus:

Acquiring a template from Ford or such. Dunno how to go about that, probably just go to a body shop or parts counter at a Ford and asking nicely with some money involved...?

Having someone else let you measure, as best you can, where theirs is mounted. Even better, they'll let you go through the process of removing the four nuts, cutting the double sided tape on the wing, prying that thing off, measure the holes directly and get a template made right off their trunk (after goo-gone-ing the old tape, of course), then reinstalling that wing with new double sided tape, 'cause you're that kind of person what would put things back where you found 'em, and then going off and drillin' that trunk of yours...

Acquiring an already drilled trunk and replace your current, but that seems a bit unnecessary. At that point, I'm just goin' for it and drillin' the trunk... unless...

Get someone to do it for you, thereby taking all the stress outta the equation, and just trusting The Force that it'll be ok.

Hope that helps. I believe in you! Just go for it, it'll be ok! Good luck!

/If I'm wrong, folks, great. But that's how I'm doin' it sans a template. Make it straight, hang it on the car. If I can put a right side mirror what looks like a '78 Thunderbird's (not a sponsor) on a '66 Mustang what had no mirror or holes on that door in the first place, I can do a dang wing...

//Left side, the holes matched up, just bolted on. They looked right on that car too, worked fantastic.

Last edited by houtex; 4/1/19 at 10:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Glenn (4/2/19)