05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

CDC Light Bar

Search this Thread

Old 12/9/04, 12:16 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm thinking of putting in a CDC lightbar in my 2005 'vert, maybe during the Pony Drive. Does anybody have any experience with the installation or its use? Do they tap into the brake wiring with those terrible blue 3M line taps? Does the bar mounted brake light reflect into the interior with the top up? Does it make wind noise with the top down? How well does the plastic hold up?

A fundamental question: I know it is sold as a Light Bar, but it looks like a roll bar to me. Does it provide any rollover protection?

Thank for the replies.
Old 12/9/04, 12:49 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It does not offer any rollover protection. I don't know about the installation, but I know they supply Saleen with their light bars, so they're good quality. Some people I've talked to say the brake light drives them nuts with the top up at night; others say they didn't even think about it until I asked. Saleen sells a "kill switch" with their current light bars, and I'm sure they will for the '05 also. I believe it uses magnets to since when the top is up, and disables the brake light.
Old 12/9/04, 01:29 PM
GT Member

if you had that brake light could you put a ducktail on the vert?
Old 12/9/04, 01:33 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I wouldn't think you could add a ducktail without a brake light integrated into it; you wouldn't be able to see the light bar's brake light with the top up.
Old 12/9/04, 01:36 PM
GT Member

oh. I think driving with the top down all the time would get a little cold here. I don't think I have seen any ducktails with a brake light built in(for the 05)
Old 12/9/04, 02:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by BlueStangVert@December 9, 2004, 1:52 PM
It does not offer any rollover protection. I don't know about the installation, but I know they supply Saleen with their light bars, so they're good quality. Some people I've talked to say the brake light drives them nuts with the top up at night; others say they didn't even think about it until I asked. Saleen sells a "kill switch" with their current light bars, and I'm sure they will for the '05 also. I believe it uses magnets to since when the top is up, and disables the brake light.
I have on one my 98. The quality is top notch. The brake light inside doesn't bother me at all.

You can buy a module from www.webelectricproducts.com that automatically switches between the original brake light and the one in the lightbar, depending on the position of the convertible top. This appears to be a nice product as it functions fully automatical. I have yet to order that one myself though. Just ordered their taillight sequencer and will see how their quality is. If it works out okay I will add the brake light switcher as well. My impression of them so far is very good. They responded to my order immediately and shipped the next day. Mind you this product is developed for the former model, not sure if it's compatible with the 05. Actually I didn't even know CDC had announced a lightbar for the 05 vert.