05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Car is getting repainted

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/06, 07:37 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
and the vote is almost a 50/50 split so either way I guess it will look good.
Old 1/19/06, 08:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You have one of the best looking cars on the site, I don't see a reason to mess with success. Besides, I kinda like the idea of having something else ghosted into the white stripes.
Old 1/20/06, 06:18 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Funny you should say that. My wife said the same thing yesterday. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Well I meet with the painter again today regarding the pearl white with ghost flames to see what he can come up with.
Old 1/20/06, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHITE STRIPES ROCK!!!!! :headbang:
Old 1/20/06, 09:55 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Well I just got back from the body shop and don't have good news. 2 problems. First problem. They will not fill the third brake light hole in the SS ducktail since they cannot guarantee it won't crack. I dond't like the CDC ducktail (not tall enough) so I will stick with this one but I am stuck with the 3rd brake light. Second problem. Their best painter is off for an unknown amount of time (medical leave) and the other guys are not that great at airbrushing. So that being said I think I am going to stick with old faithfull and keep the stripes Pearl White. When I got back to work I printed off both pics but printed them so they were 24" wide. Put both of them up on a wall with a note "which one do you like best". Well, as soon as you walk around the corner, the white stripes just pop out at ya. That is the one people see first and see last as they are leaving. They did comment on how cool the ghost ones were but eventually almost eveyone preferred the white. Since I am one that likes my cars to stand out (if you couldn't tell) I figured I'd better stick with white.

Thanks for all of the input you guys gave me.
Old 1/20/06, 02:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Good luck John!

Can't wait to see the revamped version of your car!!

Old 1/20/06, 02:49 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, seriously, either will look great.
Old 1/20/06, 03:01 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Hey John,
Well it looks like you already made your decision, but I'll throw my $0.02 in for what it's worth.

White does look good, it's classic/timeless and proven. It also makes the sonic blue pop a little more. but it's also more common. on your car in particular, because you already have a lot of visual mods on it, i think white is too 'busy'.

I really like the ghost stripes because they're subtle but still make a statement, and they're contemporary, like the car. however, they aren't as attention grabbing, and tend to make sonic blue a little darker looking vs. the white.

in the end, both are good choices and both will look great - best of luck and see you in the spring!!

kristina
Old 1/20/06, 03:30 PM
Retired Tms Staff

If there was an awesome painter in the area I would probably reconsider but at this point I have a feeling it just wouldn't be done the way I had hoped.
Old 1/20/06, 04:16 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Originally posted by adrenalin@January 20, 2006, 6:33 PM
If there was an awesome painter in the area I would probably reconsider but at this point I have a feeling it just wouldn't be done the way I had hoped.
John,
I hear what you're saying, but I'm a FIRM believer of the "wait and get what you really want" philosophy.

I mean if you WANT white, then you're golden, but it seems like your gut is telling you to go ghost.

There are a ton of great painters and airbrushers in Southern Ontario...do you need to do the stripes at the same time as the car or can you do them later (dunno if they go on over or under the clear)? I'm just saying...do a little more research you know? I know of some amazing airbrushers here in T.O. - there's gotta be some in London (that's closer for you, right?).

Not trying to change your mind, just trying to help since you really don't seem that enthused about the white...

Like I said before, either way, they'll look great so it's really a win win.

kris
Old 1/20/06, 04:27 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Ya, the stripes will be under the clear so I want to get it done all at once. We'll see what happens.
Old 1/20/06, 05:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just out of curiosity, did you ever think of modding the stripes? Put on a boss type stripe or create your own version. Might be something to play with. That's why I went with the 3 stripe version, just to be a little different. Might be easier than ghosting. I'm sure once you do this you aren't going to be in the market to do it again unless another stone attack, so weigh all options now. What about the whole hood white similar to the old Mach's that were black? Just throwing things at you....Might prove interesting. What would you have done to design a car?
Old 1/20/06, 08:25 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pearl white stripes and the street scene ducktail???

Yeah yeah yeah John..........

Gonna look suuuu-wheeeeeet..........
:worship:
Old 1/21/06, 01:38 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by harleybill@January 20, 2006, 8:45 PM
Just out of curiosity, did you ever think of modding the stripes? Put on a boss type stripe or create your own version. Might be something to play with. That's why I went with the 3 stripe version, just to be a little different. Might be easier than ghosting. I'm sure once you do this you aren't going to be in the market to do it again unless another stone attack, so weigh all options now. What about the whole hood white similar to the old Mach's that were black? Just throwing things at you....Might prove interesting. What would you have done to design a car?
Been there, done that. Tried several things before I even put on the stripes that are on the car right now. Although I do like the idea of making the car look like a Mach 1, the rear is just to plain for me. Yes, even with a blackout panel it is still missing something as far as I am concerned. Just look at the street scene car. The stripes just go a little onto the back. Looks too unfinished to me. Out of everything I have tried and seen, I still prefer the style I have now. Besides, this paint job/ducktail install will be my last exterior mod. It's kinda hard getting everything to blend together. Some people think my car looks like overkill already but I think by the time I am done that will be it. Anything else might be crossing the line.
Old 1/21/06, 03:03 PM
Cam Tease

Stick with the white. Seriously, I've never said anything and meant it half as much as that, yes I lead a sad life, but seriously...stick with the white. I would probably have to cry for at least a few moments if you didn't. Yours is likely my favorite '05 'Stang out there, and if you ghost it...it won't be. DO YOU WANT TO LIVE WITH THAT???

STICK WITH THE WHITE MAN. FOR ME. FOR AMERICA. FOR GOD.

also....get center-mount fogs.
Old 1/21/06, 04:45 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Center-mount fogs are definately going in. I already have the stock grille removed and sitting in the basement
Old 1/21/06, 04:49 PM
Cam Tease

Haha, see that? We share impeccable taste....so....STICK WITH THE WHITE!!! Jk, get what you want. (As long as its white.)
Old 1/21/06, 06:31 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Old 1/24/06, 03:07 PM
Bullitt Member

John, wanna design a theme for mine? j/k I have been trying to decide for months on what to do to the exterior. I have the side stripes, but want something a little more eye catching. There is another redfire GT around here that has thick bright metallic silver stripes, but I don't want a replica, I want an original.

I am glad you made your choice and are happy with it!
Old 1/26/06, 12:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I loved the look of your car from the first time I saw it posted on this site. I've got a torch red with white stripes, but I have to say that I still like your sonic blue with the white stripes the best. It just pops out at you.

Quick Reply: Car is getting repainted