05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Car is getting repainted

Search this Thread

Old 1/15/06, 09:06 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by gmichael@January 14, 2006, 5:01 PM
What color are you going to paint the car - Vista?
Sticking with Sonic Blue
Old 1/15/06, 10:41 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just wrestled with the same issue, except mine is white. I think the white is more difficult to ghost. I could not find any good examples to go by so I started thinking about something more neutral. Of course if you go too light, now one will notice it unless they are washing the car.

The Blue on white like the original Shelby has that shock and awe appeal that is very tempting to copy. You know its coming at you. Lots of contrast. My goal was (is) a sutble or understatement effect. I started looking at all the variations in a light silver, silver gray, w/and w/o metallic. My fear was getting a color that really did not go well and realize it $2,000 later. What I settled on was a metallic silver but with a touch of sand or gold to complement the interior. Car gets back next Friday, I'll post some pic's to see everyones reaction.

On stripe width I chose to go with the early Shely spec which changes up and down as you go the length of the car.
Old 1/15/06, 03:00 PM
V6 Member

Ghost definitely. I love the way they look, and I see way to many sonic blues with white stripes
Old 1/15/06, 08:06 PM
V6 Member

make mine a vote for white . i cant wait to see the 12" with the 2" gap , i was thinking the same stripe for my torch red GT . So go for the white so i can imagine what it will look like
Old 1/16/06, 07:39 AM
Retired Tms Staff

I have an appointment with the body shop this week to discuss a few ideas. So far looks like Ghost is wining. I do love the looks of the white on blue, however, as I said before, I am tired of seeing soooo many blue cars with white stripes. I think I will have to go with my gut feeling on this one. I wanted ghost stripes before I put the white ones on so I think I will go with the ghost stripes. I'll let you know what I end up doing.
Old 1/16/06, 11:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have to go with the traditional white stripes. Just look at the two pictures together. Ghosted flames look ok and only up close and those white ones jump out at you on that dark blue. To me it's a waste of money to have something that expensive that doesn't make a real impact but as always, it's gotta be your choice. Plus it would be cheaper to just repaint your hood and not the remainder of the car. Even if it was from scratch I think I would be 70/30 for the whites (but the ghosts look good as well, just not good enough).
Old 1/16/06, 11:21 AM
Retired Tms Staff

I drove over to the body shop to meet with the painter. He knows I am very picky about my car and doesn't think I would be happy with ghost stripes. Problem is, since there are sooooo many shades you can make he is afraid that they would paint the car and a week later I would have started the "I wish they were darker, or lighter, or white". We chatted for a bit, pros/cons of ghost stripes. Biggest issue is matching the paint if I have a fender bender or modify something else. So we started talking about the white again. Currently my vinyl is Pearl white. He is going to paint up a sample that he thinks would look pretty cool. Should be ready by the end of the week. I'll stop in and take a look.

I am just so use to using vinyl. If I get bored with it, I can change it. This is a big decission for me since once it is on it will cost me a small fortune to change it.
Old 1/16/06, 12:55 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@January 16, 2006, 12:24 PM

I am just so use to using vinyl. If I get bored with it, I can change it. This is a big decission for me since once it is on it will cost me a small fortune to change it.
I was going to ask earlier what is the definition of a ghost stripe. Only one shade removed from the base color? You'd hardly see it (let's say very ghostly).

I'm no color expert, but I suppose Sonic has some non-blue colors (tints?) in it. I would guess out of all the people on this board you'd have access to the widest variety of vinyl colors. Why not get some whiteish, blackish, reddish, yellowish or whateverish blues and slap 'em on there and see what it looks like.

Go big - I have a color for the interior of my place and the color swatch from HD looks like an office folder (minella? sp?) anyway, put it on the walls and its yellow.
Old 1/16/06, 01:40 PM
Retired Tms Staff

I have slapped several shades of vinyl on the car including one called shadow. It is suppose to create a shadow effect. It didn't give me an effect close to the ghost look I was hoping for.
Old 1/16/06, 01:51 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@January 16, 2006, 2:43 PM
I have slapped several shades of vinyl on the car including one called shadow. It is suppose to create a shadow effect. It didn't give me an effect close to the ghost look I was hoping for.
Of course, I should have realized you would have done that. Perhaps you should find a trained artist to help.
Old 1/16/06, 11:08 PM
Bullitt Member

why r u repainting your car anyways?

i voted ghost.....trust me, you'll love it.
Old 1/17/06, 06:24 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Car is getting repainted because a few weeks after getting the body kit installed I was driving down a highway where a construction crew decided to lay down gravel without posting any construction signs. I stayed in the right hand lane going about 10 mpg since I had about 1.5 miles till the exit, but that was of no use. Transport trucks and other cars were flying past me. Car has hundreds of stone chips. Only thing not chipped was the spoiler and trunk lid.
Old 1/17/06, 01:14 PM
GT Member

I've always been fond of white stripes on the blue but after seeing that photo of the ghost stripes, that's the way to go . It's time to be different and stand above the rest of the stripe crowd...
Old 1/17/06, 01:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@January 17, 2006, 7:27 AM
Car is getting repainted because a few weeks after getting the body kit installed I was driving down a highway where a construction crew decided to lay down gravel without posting any construction signs. I stayed in the right hand lane going about 10 mpg since I had about 1.5 miles till the exit, but that was of no use. Transport trucks and other cars were flying past me. Car has hundreds of stone chips. Only thing not chipped was the spoiler and trunk lid.

Oh man - that really, really sucks. I'd have had to pull over and just start shooting....

Hope it all comes out well! Good luck.

I voted ghost - too many people have white. Silver? Charcoal?
Old 1/17/06, 01:46 PM
Retired Tms Staff

I had silver on my 97GT and decided I didn't want it on this car. Same with charcoal and pewter.
Old 1/17/06, 03:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The reason so many people have white is because it looks great with sonic, sometime just doing what is different just to be different is not such a good thing!
Old 1/18/06, 08:06 PM
Bullitt Member

John I would get a second opinion on the ghost stripes, I think it would look so good that way vs. plain white.
Old 1/18/06, 08:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jewls05GT@January 18, 2006, 10:09 PM
John I would get a second opinion on the ghost stripes, I think it would look so good that way vs. plain white.
I would suggest a pearl white with a blue base.
Old 1/19/06, 06:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

You know, they will both look good so I don't think you can lose with either choice....They both have their pluses and I don't see any real negatives....It's just a matter of getting the right choice in shades if you do the ghost....Either way, you still have the second nicest car here (ha)...
Old 1/19/06, 07:36 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Ya, that is the big problem. Getting the right shade. I have seen some ghost stripes but yet to see one that I really like. Keep in mind my white stripes are already "Pearl white" and not just plain white so they already have a silver tint to them depending on the light and the angle you look at them.

I still don't know which way to go. Last week I decided to go with the ghost stripes. Met with the painter this week and didn't like the samples I saw so now I am back to thinking I should stick with white.

Quick Reply: Car is getting repainted