05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Can anyone guess what I'm about to do?

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/05, 08:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like that, looks much better. I just cleaned up and painted my cam covers. Still have to reinstall them' The weather turned much colder and rainy so I decided to wait for a sunny day. I would like to paint the intake, but I need to think on that some. I think I will look into doing the grill next.

How do you remove the lower grill?
Old 4/7/05, 09:00 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I took off the engine under cover, 7 small bolts if I remember right, and pushed it forward. No bolts or screws, just snaps in and out with a little force.
Old 4/7/05, 09:04 PM

That's what I was intending to do. I took it to the body shop and they painted the whole stinkin thing. The guy said he didn't have time to tape it all off. I was ticked. I bought another one, which was only $25. I went to change it out and the new one was for a V6. Tomorrow, I'll go to pick up the new one.
Did you tape it all off or paint with red then tape off and paint the black?
It is a pain to tape off the grill sections to paint the main part.
Old 4/7/05, 09:17 PM
I lust for a M24

Take the one that's painted all green, tape off the whole thing EXCEPT for the honeycomb, and spray those sections black. That's a lot easier and gives you a cleaner line, all the ridges from the honeycomb pattern are a pain in the butt to do it the other way. Do it my way and you can do it for the cost of a can of black spray paint and get great results. Remember... lots of light layers.
Old 4/7/05, 09:20 PM
I lust for a M24

169stang, make your tape line just a little higher than the honeycomb ridges on the 'side walls' of the piece. Don't try to tape over and around each individual ridge. Know what I mean? :scratch: It's kind of hard to explain, but I think you get it... right?
Old 4/7/05, 10:06 PM
I'm people, and I like.

that looks awesome. and for a self modded part, it is really really great work
Old 4/7/05, 11:18 PM
Cobra Member

that looks great!
Old 4/8/05, 12:04 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow! I love it! Definitely should've come like that from the factory. I'll be doing that myself once I finally get the car home.
Old 4/8/05, 08:11 AM
Cobra Member

Old 4/8/05, 09:44 AM
FR500 Member

Looks good. I don't think I'll be doing it to mine. The black looks good with Mineral Grey, but for Torch Red, it looks great painted.
Old 4/8/05, 09:48 AM
Banned

Looks great. Wish they came that way from FORD!!
Old 4/9/05, 10:40 PM
Cobra Member

John, I painted ours today. Did not do the black for now, will see what we think of it.

How long to wait for the paint to fully dry before pressing it back in place and roughly how hard did you have to press. And does any order work better, center first or outside ends first?

I think it would be kool to paint the upper grill. It looks like it would almost impossible unless an airbrush could do the job.
Old 4/9/05, 10:56 PM
I lust for a M24

I would definately blackout the sides when you get to it. Like I said, I had a friend from a bodyshop paint it. I'd wait overnight before taping off and painting the black.
Putting it in just takes a little pressure, I started on the right (passenger) side of the car. I put it in and worked my way to the left side. It'll snap in. Just be careful not to scratch the lower lip of the bumper when pushing it back in. As for how much pressure, about the same amount of pressure you'd use to squeeze a fist. I placed my fingers through the openings in the lower grill, and squeezed it in like I was trying to make a fist. Only took 30 secs.
Old 4/10/05, 09:13 AM
Cobra Member

John, OK, From your posts I was not real sure if you painted or had a friend painter to it for you. I tryed last night to replace but I was not going to press very firmly at the time. I think I will do a few other things this morning and wait for the sun to warm the parts up some and then try it again and the paint will be somewhat firmer so I can press on it more.

[attachmentid=17434]

As for blacking out the chese greater ends I missed the window for doing that right now. I can do that if we want at a later time. What I do not like about the factorys finish is it is way to difficult to clean and all it does is attract particles and black shows them the most. So at this time we are thinking of painting or replacing the upper grill. Maybe going to the Monochrome look to be different. Or a Black Diamond Metallic could be a kool idea. The lower will be my test for a while. Therefore I though I would not want the ends black, or I may do something different to fill in and eliminate the lower grate.

Plus I would like to tie in the engines upper intake too.
Old 4/14/05, 04:52 PM
I lust for a M24

Badsnake98/169Stang, either of you black out your ends yet?
Got Pics?
Old 4/14/05, 04:55 PM

very cool ,tile and grout will not be as much fun.
Old 4/15/05, 02:40 PM
V6 Member

Hey John, on a totally unrelated topic - what kind of tile did you use in your garage? Is that one of those high-end speciality tiles or did you find something else? Just asking because I want to do the same with my garage and I'm always looking for ideas.

And BTW, the grill looks killer

Rob
Old 4/15/05, 02:49 PM
vld
GT Member

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@April 7, 2005, 6:40 PM
Wow, you guys give me too much credit. Just painted the lower bumper grill, that's all. Chalk this one up to another, "Should've came that way from the factory."

Before and after:

wow! pretty nice. well done
Old 4/15/05, 03:23 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally posted by Stangrob@April 15, 2005, 3:43 PM
Hey John, on a totally unrelated topic - what kind of tile did you use in your garage? Is that one of those high-end speciality tiles or did you find something else? Just asking because I want to do the same with my garage and I'm always looking for ideas.

And BTW, the grill looks killer

Rob
I used vinyl composite tile... cheap stuff at lowes, goes down with an adjhesive you trowel on. If you do it, don't use white. I found out afterwards that the rubber from your tires interacts with the vinyl in the tile and stains it. Notice all the cardboard and floor mats in my garage? I wouldn't use light grey either. If I were to do it again I'd use black and either dark grey, dark blue, dark red, etc.
Old 6/13/05, 03:10 PM
GT Member

How do you remove the lower grill? I can't seem to get the clips to release?

Thanks,
Dave...

Quick Reply: Can anyone guess what I'm about to do?