05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Bumper Covers?

Search this Thread

Old 12/23/05, 09:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm looking at installing VFORCE on my V6. We'll to have dual exhaust i'll either need to go to a local body shop & have my bumper cut & shaved & all with a new hole for the left exhaust.. Or I could buy a new bumper cover.. (Current bumper is scatched & such) Could have painted though? So What do i do.. How much would a new bumper cost?
Old 12/23/05, 11:44 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the Eibach Pro-kit springs. It has settled down to about a full 2" drop over these first 1,500 miles, and even still, I have no ground clearance problems. The stock V6 front & rear bumpers tuck-in more than the GT's bumpers, so I have better angle of approach and angle of departure clearance. Also, I was able to get the cut-out well centered for the left side, and had my muffler man install beveled exhaust tips that barely protrude.
To get the pattern transferred from the right to the left, use a slightly heavy stock piece of paper (not cardboard). Cut-out just enough of the paper to straddle the stock pipe, so that the paper will lie smoothly on the curved bumper contour. Using a pencil, trace the outline of the outer exhaust opening, then cut this paper pattern out with scissors. Once you get the shape perfectly matching, flip this pattern over to the other side. I had masking tape on the left side of the bumper to draw onto it the reverse pattern. After final checks, I very slowly and with light pressure cut the opening with a box knife. Taking your time is key here, as you don't want to slip and cut beyond your opening.
Old 12/24/05, 12:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in a similar situation to you Pitch Black. My rear bumper got scratched up recently when someone rear ended me. I will be going with duals soon so I am just going to get a GT rear bumper cover from Casco on ebay instead of repainting the old bumper. The bumper will be around $225 I believe excluding shipping. I've heard great things about his service and prices. In my opinion, if you have duals, the GT rear bumper displays the exhaust tips better than the V6 bumper and it looks meaner too.
Oh, Gearhead, what were you thinking with that gigantic rear wing. Is it a mustang or a honda!!??
Old 12/24/05, 02:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by TorchRedV6@December 24, 2005, 12:17 AM
I'm in a similar situation to you Pitch Black. My rear bumper got scratched up recently when someone rear ended me. I will be going with duals soon so I am just going to get a GT rear bumper cover from Casco on ebay instead of repainting the old bumper. The bumper will be around $225 I believe excluding shipping. I've heard great things about his service and prices. In my opinion, if you have duals, the GT rear bumper displays the exhaust tips better than the V6 bumper and it looks meaner too.
Oh, Gearhead, what were you thinking with that gigantic rear wing. Is it a mustang or a honda!!??
It’s not what I’m thinking Frazer, but rather your sense of inadequacy. I hate to have to tell you this, but you are suffering from Wing Envy. The wing I have installed is the correctly sized wing for the car. Looking at your picture, you seem to have a rather small shrub of a wing on yours. Size does matter!
Old 12/24/05, 11:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, you can cut the rear bumper. But if you have the money and want to do it right, I would just go ahead and start searching for a GT bumper. Everything will line up perfectly, and the extra lip on the GT bumper does set off the exhaust.
Old 12/24/05, 12:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Oh, Gearhead, what were you thinking with that gigantic rear wing. Is it a mustang or a honda!!?? :nono:
Old 12/24/05, 10:53 PM
FR500 Member