05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Bob White windsheild decal

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/06, 02:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
[attachmentid=44478]Not sure if any can help. I purchased a windshield decal from Bob White this past week. It says " MUSTANG GT " I followed the instructions but I think is's junk. Bottomline... Its not sticking to the windshield. Here's what I did:
- cleaned windshield with Windex ( non- ammonia formula)
- cleaned windshield with 99% isopropol alcohol ( twice ) and let it dry.
- made spray bottle of soapy water. ( Used Dawn dishsoap- no hand cream in it )
- sprayed windshield and back of decal and placed on windshield and squeegeed (SPELLIN?) the water out.
- garage is heated to about 75 or 80 degs. and I let it dry for 4 hours at that temp. Went to peel the outer layer off and the letters were not stuck at all. Peeled it off- recleaned the windshield with alcohol and am trying it again. This time with Joy dishsoap in the spray bottle. Here a pic of the second try. I will let it dry over nite before I try to peel the outer covering. What did I do wrong????????????
Scott [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/4/06, 02:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im not sure how others have done this but in the past I took the outcoating off first and then moved letters around on my own and let sit for a while overnite I think. Maybe your soap solution is too soapy?
Old 2/4/06, 02:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

nono dont do that. bad idea. you wil lscrew with the spacing. I have bought from bob white in the past for my tbird. really high quality stuff. has been on my tbird now for 7 years with no peeling cracking or fading. you have to make sure u squeegee all thewater out and let it dry for a long time. i left mine overnight for aproximately 10 hours. You have to peel back slowly and gently, Dont peel up either, peel across towards the other side of the windshield. like pull from the m in msutang to the t in GT. sometimes u can use a pin to keep the edge of the letter down to get it started peeling. also jsut as an idiot question. make sure you really removed the backing of the letters so they can stick to the windshield.
Old 2/4/06, 03:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(94tbird @ February 4, 2006, 3:52 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
nono dont do that. bad idea. you wil lscrew with the spacing. I have bought from bob white in the past for my tbird. really high quality stuff. has been on my tbird now for 7 years with no peeling cracking or fading. you have to make sure u squeegee all thewater out and let it dry for a long time. i left mine overnight for aproximately 10 hours. You have to peel back slowly and gently, Dont peel up either, peel across towards the other side of the windshield. like pull from the m in msutang to the t in GT. sometimes u can use a pin to keep the edge of the letter down to get it started peeling. also jsut as an idiot question. make sure you really removed the backing of the letters so they can stick to the windshield.
[/b][/quote]

94 bird,
Not an idiot question. Yes I removed the backing before applying. I changed soap to Joy the 2nd time and although it is still early. I think it maybe sticking this time. I will let the heater run all nite and will not peel the back until tommorow. I will know in the morning if I wasted 35 bucks or not. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] Thanks for your input. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/4/06, 03:19 PM

This is going to sound crazy but you should try pet soap. It has no chemicals that you would find in normal soap (no matter what the kind). Try a 50-50 solution. Did it with my other vehicle... 4 years no problems. Good Luck!

Justin
Old 2/4/06, 03:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(guyonthecouch @ February 4, 2006, 4:22 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
This is going to sound crazy but you should try pet soap. It has no chemicals that you would find in normal soap (no matter what the kind). Try a 50-50 solution. Did it with my other vehicle... 4 years no problems. Good Luck!

Justin
[/b][/quote]

Justin,
Thanks for the input. At this point I think I am stuck with the JOY. We will see in the morning. Welcome to the forum. BTW, I really like your handle. ( Guyonthecouch) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img] Welcome!!!!
Scott [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/4/06, 04:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Try just using water in the spray bottle. I think it's the soap that's not making it stick. I used to be an auto detailer and that's how I applied decals.
Old 2/4/06, 04:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Is the outer layer portion that you peel off more of a paper-like material or more of a plastic-like material? If it is the paper-like material, I find it easier to remove the following day by spraying it again with water to loosen it up from the letters you applied, then peeling it back slowly at a very sharp angle away from the letters...
Old 2/4/06, 04:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(u-got-stang @ February 4, 2006, 5:50 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Is the outer layer portion that you peel off more of a paper-like material or more of a plastic-like material? If it is the paper-like material, I find it easier to remove the following day by spraying it again with water to loosen it up from the letters you applied, then peeling it back slowly at a very sharp angle away from the letters...
[/b][/quote]

The plastic like side is what I peeled off first. The paper is still on the outside of the letters. I have my fingers crossed that it is going to take this time. It seems to be sticking. To early to tell.
Scott
Old 2/4/06, 05:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It should only be like ONE DROP of dish detergent to water in the spray bottle. I also used bottled water for decals myself.
Old 2/5/06, 08:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Well I peeled off the outer covering this morning and the decal seemed to adhere to the windshield okay. Got a couple of air bubbles that I stuck with a pin and they pretty much went away. I guess my problem the 1st time I tried to install was that I used Dawn dishsoap instead of Joy in my spray bottle. Only time will tell if they will hang in there. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] Thanks all for your help.
Old 2/5/06, 08:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Pics of the completed job?
Old 2/5/06, 09:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Glad it worked out for you... Post a pic when you get a chance....
Old 2/5/06, 04:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I will get a pic Monday nite afterwork. Thanks for your help guys!!
Old 2/6/06, 05:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Here's a pic of the finished decal. It seems like it going to stick now. Time will tell.

How come you can't enlarge my pic??