05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Antenna Mod!

Search this Thread

Old 1/28/05, 07:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MrWick@January 5, 2005, 5:05 PM
I popped the ball off the tip of the original antenna but it takes a good hit or two to get it off.If you try it be in a confined space because that little stinker will take off and be very difficult to find.I had some one hold the antenna(took it off the car)and took a good sized adjustable wrench opened just enough for the antenna to fit and whacked the ball,then went hunting for it.
I went home and did mine last night. Looks great! I removed about 11" off the top of the antenna.

A couple of notes: the wrench size to remove the antenna is 3/8". I solved the issue of "losing the ball" by pushing the cut end of the cut-off piece of antenna through a Zip-loc sandwich bag and sealing it. The ball is now contained in the bag. Then insert the cut-off piece in a vise, place a pair of pliers around the antenna next to the ball and give the backside of the pliers a few sharp raps with a hammer until the ball pops off.

When it does, it's now captured in the bag and it's a lot easier to find the bag than the ball alone! In fact, mine only flew about a foot and landed intact on the work bench. When you try to place the ball back on the cut-off antenna, you'll likely have to file the end of the antenna back to the round shape before inserting it back on to the ball. I had to dab a bit of touchup paint around the join of the ball to the antenna and then I put the antenna back on the car.

The whole process took about 30 minutes and most of that was spent figuring out how to capture the ball.

B)
Old 1/28/05, 10:16 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Count me in this club too - I cut mine so it is even with the roofline although it might actually be a bit shorter.... NO loss in reception at all.

My biggest prob was getting the ball off the end - ended up placing the towel covered end of the antenna in a bench vice and working the antenna off of it - took me a bit but knew exactly where the ball was when I was done!

After the vice and a pair of vice grips before that, even with the towel, some paint was scuffed off - little Testor's model paint fixed that perfectly though. Few drops of krazy glue to make sure the ball didn't pop off when I remounted and I am in business.

LOVE the way it looks.

Only have one picture on me right now...... have another one to post with a better angle....
Old 1/28/05, 08:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by SurfnSoCal@January 5, 2005, 5:37 PM
"be wery wery quite...I'm hunting *****...."
Old 1/29/05, 01:50 AM
Bullitt Member

I wish they put the antenna on the back, I hate it up there on the front.

Might just shave it off completely and stick with my XM, I never listen to over the air radio anymore.

XM is definately a beautiful thing, and with XM you can hide the antenna in your car. I have mine under my dash and still get great reception.
Old 1/29/05, 09:01 AM
GT Member

Might just stick a piece of duct to the top of the ball before removing. It should aid in finding it.